Ghostbusters (2016 reboot)

Jay

Would it kill them to do something with the original Ghostbusters if they're going the animated route, seeing as they wouldn't have to hire the original cast anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe they don't show up on mobile, but on desktop it's on the right side under the track list

They work for me. Interesting, the end of the first track (the site features 4 full tracks not clips) is a brief performance of the Ghostbusters Theme, instrumentally. The score doesn't sound bad from these tracks, but fairly typical.

I read a very favorable review that's convinced me to go see it. 

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/ghostbusters/review/a800837/ghostbusters-review-2016-paul-feig-all-female-reboot/

Whether it actually deserves 4/5 stars or the reviewer is just terrified of Leslie Jones' wrath, well... 

I've read a handful of early reviews, the worst of which was only mildly positive, and the majority of which are very enthusiastic.

Of course, the reviewers probably aren't hardcore Ghostbusters fanboys, and some of them may even have been (women), so your mileage may vary.  I have a feeling that the people who disliked this movie since its announcement won't find anything to like in the finished product.

Also, lol (Reddit r/ghostbusters screenshot)

_90349210_ghostbustersreddit.gif

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Of course, the reviewers probably aren't hardcore Ghostbusters fanboys,

I'm still astonished about how many hardcore Ghostbusters fanboys there seem to be.

Anyway, there's no pleasing then unless the original line-up, including a ressurected Egon were starring. So it's probably better that the new film does seem to appeal to the average audience.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I'm still astonished about how many hardcore Ghostbusters fanboys there seem to be.

Right? I mean I enjoyed both 1 and 2 as a kid, but I had no idea it was some canonized nerd Holy Grail which must remain unsullied until the debacle around this reboot started.

As someone who isn't a hardcore Ghostbusters fanboy I won't judge someone who is for being suspicious of or not liking this movie. As someone who is a fan of Bridesmaids, The Heat, and Spy, I really hope this offers me the same pleasures as those movies: good-natured, diverting hilarity.

It gets away with being what it is because it was made early enough for everyone involved to still look interested and enthusiastic.

If they'd made a third film with the original cast in the 2000s with that "pass the torch" angle people wanted, it would have sucked. Like Indy 4 sucked. They would have all been old and tired, and the younger cast members would have been a gamble. Like Independence Day: Resurgence!

Yeah, gimmie a minute.

Reposting from Facebook.

Okay here we go...

Well, it's manly. Like it's a manly man's movie. This is a film made for men, by men, about manly women. Seriously guys, this is the one for you!

After all the controversy, all the unfounded bashing, all the online vitriol directed toward a commercial work that no-one had seen yet, the Ghostbusters reboot actually delivers the goods!

I'm as big a fan of the 1984 film and its 1989 sequel as anyone, but was never under any delusion that it was so sacred, it can never be remade. Hell I saw the Poltergeist remake with an open mind - yes it sucked, but it's not like it's a rule that it can't ever be done right. And Paul Feig's remake demonstrates that it can be achieved effectively well.

The four leads aren't just funny, they play their roles pretty straight. Like the blokes in the 1984 film, I believe this group of shielas could be mates. Kristen Wiig has an endearing nervousness and insecurity about her, and Melissa Macarthy is sort of the "heart of the Ghostbusters" this time. There's an arc between these two characters that sets off their origin story. Leslie Jones as the subway-worker-turned-Ghostbuster will surprise many. She's not the loud, jive stereotype the trailers portrayed. And Kate McKinnon... god, she's so adorable, I want her. Her crazy character is a scene stealer and the camera loves her. She's like a female version of Egon from the 1986 animated series. Well at least now I get a Ghostbuster to oogle at!

I have two criticisms, and they're minor, but some people will blow them out of proportion.

Firstly, there's a creepy emasculating attitude that permeates the whole film, where the director revels in portraying men as negative stereotypes. For example, the male bimbo receptionst, the venue owner with a girlie scream, the crooked mayor, the unpleasantly stiff university administrator, and a few others littered throughout. It's kind of balanced out by the mayor's obnoxiously manipulative female media relations officer - an hilarious lampooning of how elected officials are essentially puppeteered by their media teams. That's the other thing I liked - the remake maintains that libertarian theme of portraying government overreach into private business. Unfortunately this film lacks a Walter Peck equivalent to be, say, Wiig's nemesis. In fact, the government actually does something good for them at the end!

Secondly, maybe this is just a sign of the times and filmmakers are trying to relax the Dark Knight-style grimness that's permeated franchise films for almost a decade, but I detected a distinct lack of tension where it was reveling more in its spectacle than ensuring you cared a spectral invasion was taking place - it's so damn pretty, I'd actually want it to happen! In the original film, not only was the city at stake, Pete Venkman's girlfriend was possessed, and he was personally motivated to save her. In the second film, it was Dana's baby at stake. But there isn't really an equivalent in this film - none of the Ghostbusters have a personal investment in anything that motivates them. That was a bummer, but the fun factor kind of compensated, I guess.

I was outwardly optimistic about the movie, but deep down I was prepared for the worst. The film's quality speaks for itself - it's an effective comedy spectacle with clever jokes, endearing characters and a proven plot formula. Structurally, it's about identical to the first two. As an origin story, that's necessary. But the dressing is all different. Sceptical fans of the originals might be pleasantly surprised by how it all weaves together.

Film score fans familiar with the music from the first two films will be astonished at the score-to-song ratio in the film. The first two films had very effective and memorable scores by Elmer Bernstein and Randy Edelman, but the songs took centre stage. However in the remake, there are fewer songs showcased throughout, and it mostly relies on Theodore Shapiro's (eh not bad) score to maintain the musical reigns. That's a first in this franchise!

After a string of heartbreaking stinkers this year like Batman v Superman and Independence Day Resurgence, this movie was a breath of fresh air. It joins the ranks of The Conjuring 2 and 10 Cloverfield Lane as the surprisingly good films of 2016.

By the way, stay for a great post-credits scene. When you see it, you'll be like "I knew it!"

That'a a common problem with movies lately - lack of personal stakes and investments of characters.  Stuff just happens and people just do things... because.  It's scriptwriting 101 and I dunno why its neglected in some big movies lately.

We might see this tonight with some friends.

1 hour ago, Shatner's Rug said:

maybe this is just a sign of the times and filmmakers are trying to relax the Dark Knight-style grimness that's permeated franchise films for almost a decade

Oh, PLEASE let that be true. I am sooo bloody darn sick of this "modern movie syndrome" that it makes me want to puke.

A film does not need to be utterly dark, gritty and depressing in order to get you to care!

In fact, for me it needs to be somewhat the opposite. If there is no contrast, then I just zone out.

Just to add and elaborate, I enjoyed the film immensely. I was grinning throughout the whole thing.

But it's worthwhile identifying its flaws, because they're pretty glaring. I would have loved to have seen the characters facing a situation where they're at risk of losing something important to them. That dramatic momentum was a driving force in the first two, but frustratingly absent here.

And I would have loved to see a bitchy Peck-esque public servant antagonise the girls with legitimate threats to shut them down. Instead it's the disinterested media relations officer who's like "we're going to fake arrest you" just to ensure the mayor is keeping up appearances that he's a "man of action". There are some Homeland Security agents thrown in, but their threat level is minimal.

These certainly aren't deal breakers, but I feel the film would have been improved had these elements been given some more thought in order to boost the quality of the conflict in the story.

9 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Firstly, there's a creepy emasculating attitude that permeates the whole film, where the director revels in portraying men as negative stereotypes. For example, the male bimbo receptionst, the venue owner with a girlie scream, the crooked mayor, the unpleasantly stiff university administrator, and a few others littered throughout. It's kind of balanced out by the mayor's obnoxiously manipulative female media relations officer - an hilarious lampooning of how elected officials are essentially puppeteered by their media teams. That's the other thing I liked - the remake maintains that libertarian theme of portraying government overreach into private business. Unfortunately this film lacks a Walter Peck equivalent to be, say, Wiig's nemesis. In fact, the government actually does something good for them at the end!

What you've said here is interesting to me ... I saw Spy and was pissed off (and yes, maybe I'm too much of a Bond fan ... but fuck it) at how much of the *humour* derived from making the male agents look like idiots. 

14 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

I just saw it. It's good. Like really friggin' good.

Yep. 

I saw the film last night - it's completely non-sexual.  Apart from Kristen Wiig's character lusting after Chris Hemsworth's character, there isn't any romance whatsoever.  Any character could be gay, straight, whatever, it doesn't matter and is completely irrelevant to the plot and story.  It's irrelevant.

The film didn't really need personal stakes, it was very light and breezy.  Wiig going into the vortex was the personal stakes moment, closing the arc that started with them being at odds in the beginning of the movie.

I didn't understand at all the point if the blonde hair moment though, since it was totally undone in the next scene.

All that stuff is fine. The part where Erin dives in to save Abby reminded me of the end of Poltergeist II. And when their hair turned white, it reminded me of when a lock of Diane' hair turned white after saving Carol Anne in the first Poltergeist.

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

The film didn't really need personal stakes, it was very light and breezy.  Wiig going into the vortex was the personal stakes moment, closing the arc that started with them being at odds in the beginning of the movie.

I felt like that conflict was already resolved when they left the Aldridge Mansion completely giddy and high-fiving each other. 

It certainly is by the time they steal a bunch of college equipment together.