The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are Batman and Batman Returns not part of the DC Cinematic Universe? What about Superman: The Movie?

No, they're not, because they're not realistic and relatable enough.

And now it comes full circle. I didn't coin the "more realistic and relatable" phrase. I first saw it frequently used to describe Batman Begins at IMDb boards not long after it was released.

Didn't you understand why BB was a more realistic depiction of Batman, Drax? It surely did its best to 'demythicize' the character. Did that make it more relatable? Nope. That being said, I like BB. I also like BB, but that's a TV show. However, I was never a fan of BB, the French screen goddess.

Alex

No good villains in Batman Begins and it ends horribly with a stupid "stop a thing from blowing up" CGI'd scene. Oh, wait. I guess they all end like that. I think it was more Bruce Wayne/Batman-centric than any Batman film to date, though. I remember I found that neat. I stopped caring for the film once he actually became Batman. The Katie Holmes girlfriend was lame. I didn't care for her character in the sequel, either, or Bruce's weird obsession with her AKA stalking her and Harvey at the restaurant, taking all the dancers and then crying to Alfred. They also made Superman into a creepy stalker in Superman Returns. What's up with that?

No good villains in Batman Begins

Of course there's a good evil man in BB, unless you find Batman vs his mentor not interesting. Then there's the creepy Scarecrow ... But unlike The Joker, they choose to stay out of the spotlights.

No good villains in Batman Begins and it ends horribly with a stupid "stop a thing from blowing up" CGI'd scene. Oh, wait. I guess they all end like that. I think it was more Bruce Wayne/Batman-centric than any Batman film to date, though. I remember I found that neat. I stopped caring for the film once he actually became Batman. The Katie Holmes girlfriend was lame. I didn't care for her character in the sequel, either, or Bruce's weird obsession with her AKA stalking her and Harvey at the restaurant, taking all the dancers and then crying to Alfred. They also made Superman into a creepy stalker in Superman Returns. What's up with that?

The monorail crash? Old school miniatures.

That's because Nolan still wanted Gotham City to look somewhat different from our cities. Also, like Koray said, he wanted BB to be made using old school FX techniques as much as possible. Is that weird? Well, maybe to the new generation it is.

Alex

Point being BB1 Gotham sucks. BB2 Gotham look good. BB3 Gotham look good too but too much like Neu Yawk.

They look real and familiar but I think they also lack imagination and creativity. Nolan puts the Batman into our universe which makes it more relatable but also less comic booky.

The 1989 Anton Furst Gotham City is my favorite one. I have soft spots for the Bo Welch Batman Returns and noirish Art Deco Animated Series versions.

I didn't really care for any of the other interpretations.

I like how the city sort of changes to fit each story's character and atmosphere. There's something dreamy and surreal about that.

True. The first one seems more intimate, with the grunge of the lower levels, and the overall rainy and dark temperament; definitely seems more Gothic. The second movie expands the city based on the scale of the story.

The 1989 Anton Furst Gotham City is my favorite one. I have soft spots for the Bo Welch Batman Returns and noirish Art Deco Animated Series versions.

I didn't really care for any of the other interpretations.

Is that Burton's version of the city?

I like how the city sort of changes to fit each story's character and atmosphere. There's something dreamy and surreal about that.

True. The first one seems more intimate, with the grunge of the lower levels, and the overall rainy and dark temperament; definitely seems more Gothic. The second movie expands the city based on the scale of the story.

Ah, TGP meant the changing itself is dreamy and surreal, not the city. It doesn't strike me as such. It was more like Nolan was still searching and changing his mind about the look of Gotham City. It started off grungy and comic book-ish but he went for actual cities in the sequels to place Batman in our real, existing universe.

It was a bit disappointing in TDKR to have more of the "outside world" brought in. Sure it lent a sweeping feeling to things, but I enjoyed the earlier feeling that Gotham was all there was, this isolated, mythic place.

I never got that feeling in the previous films. Maybe it was because of the extended Bhutan sequences in the first film. It could also have been the action sequence in Hong Kong in The Dark Knight that did it. Somehow I never felt that the whole story was in Gotham. Ever.

Yeah whatever. My point was that I don't feel more of the outside world was brought in. Sure the film had a greater sense of scope, but all three were very internationally minded compared to their bat-predecessors. Now if what you're saying is you'd prefer the smaller, more personal feel of the first two films, well, I think I would too, though I won't mind if they do something different with BVS.

The US president and military and all that seems more significant than an outing to Hong Kong or Bhutan. But "yeah whatever."

A matter of perspective, then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...