The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

4 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

This Superman movie isn't going to dethrone Christopher Reeve, I reckon.

Uninspired choice of composer aside, I'm actually hugely optimistic for the movie itself! Even if it won't dethrone Superman '78, I think it at least has a good chance of being the best since.

Superman is my favorite fictional character (don't let my username/avatar fool you :P) and Gunn has been saying all the right things for me in regard to story, tone, character. The comics he's cited as his key sources of inspiration are among my all-time favorites. I think all the casting choices so far have been spot on. Not to mention Guardians 3 was my favorite Marvel movie in quiiiiite a while.

I'm hyped.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of who does the score, I'm 85% sure that Gunn will use this song at some point in the movie.

If he doesn't, I think there will be one of those "slower and depressing" covers for the trailer.

There was a surprising amount of pop songs that referenced Superman from the 90s and early 2000s

Spin Doctors - 1991 - Jimmy Olsen's Blues

A Tribe Called Quest - 1993 - Award Tour

Matchbox 20 - 1996 - Real World

Our Lady Peace - 1997 - Superman's Dead

3 Doors Down - 2000 - Kryptonite

Five For Fighting - 2000 - Superman

(posted above)

Eminem - 2002 - Superman

Dave Matthews - 2002 -Where Are You Going?

Lazlo Bane - 2002 - Superman

Why so many? No idea!  Once Superman Returns came out it all stopped though, lol

3 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Not familiar with that one!

Was it the death of Superman arc in the comics from '92-'93 that made him so popular for a while?

5 hours ago, batmatt92 said:

Uninspired choice of composer aside, I'm actually hugely optimistic for the movie itself! Even if it won't dethrone Superman '78, I think it at least has a good chance of being the best since.

Superman is my favorite fictional character (don't let my username/avatar fool you :P) and Gunn has been saying all the right things for me in regard to story, tone, character. The comics he's cited as his key sources of inspiration are among my all-time favorites. I think all the casting choices so far have been spot on. Not to mention Guardians 3 was my favorite Marvel movie in quiiiiite a while.

I'm hyped.

At least I'm glad to see JJ Abrams is no longer directing.

After the garbage that were STID and TRoS, I really don't like him much anymore.

JJ Abrams was never attached to this movie.  Superman: Legacy is James Gunn's movie that is rebooting the DC Universe.

JJ Abrams's Superman movie is still in development and is an "Elseworlds" story, unattached to the greater DCU continuity - just like Todd Philip's Joker movies and Matt Reeves' The Batman movies

I believe the Abrams focuses on the the alternate Superman, as in Calvin Ellis. Not sure if it wasn’t just a rumour though. 

Calvin-Ellis-Black-Superman.webp

Karol 

• 2 weeks later...

Some DC rumors, at least one of which Gunn claims to be untrue. The most interesting one for this forum is that Aronofsky is in talks to direct a Plastic Man movie.

For those who don't know, Plastic Man is this guy:

Plastic Man | Dc comics superheroes, Dc comics characters, Dc comics art

He is known as a more comedic superhero, so Aronofsky (whose films are as "fun" as suffering a car accident) is a curious choice.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Faleel said:

Looks AI/fake to me.

Those two guys and the background are just a big mess.

Unless you are 12 years old and never watched a Superman movie, I don't understand why anyone would be interested in seeing another movie about Superman (or Batman). That's why Watchmen was so refreshing to me because finally we got something else (in subject and style).

Because 80 years of source material means nothing for further adaptations? It's not the big blue boy scout's fault WB keeps refusing to go past the same few elements that have dominated most Supes films at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 03/03/2024 at 9:22 AM, A24 said:

So what do you want to see in a Superman movie and that you think the world hasn't seen before?

A return to the respect and reverence that Donner had for the material, would be a good start. A score by JW wouldn't go a miss, either.