The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that with all that was going on in his life at the time, watching movies was not a top priority.

I am assuming that Donner needed to watch the RLC if only to decide what to remove. I'm figuring that it was the same for Snyder.

I don't know if you guys are following the latest DC drama, but it is hilarious. Basically, every time I open Facebook or Twitter there seem to be another tragic behind-the-scenes conflict at DC.

The latest one is that Zachary Levi accused Dwayne Johnson of doing everything he could to prevent Shazam to interact with and fight Black Adam (the two characters are arch-nemesis in the comics, like Batman and Joker). The Rock didn't want anything to do with the Shazam movies, he'd rather fight Henry Cavill's Superman, so he blocked characters from his movie to appear in the Shazam 2 post-credits scene.

You can read about it on the links below:

https://www.thewrap.com/dwayne-johnson-black-adam-shazam-dc-universe/

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/zachary-levi-shazam-2-plans-thwarted-comic-book-films-serious-1235563593/

I miss the days when actors, directors and producers didn’t have a direct line to the world but had to go through the “gatekeepers” of (mainstream) media.

That said, I haven’t seen Shazam 2 yet, but I intend to.

I guess DC Asia put it up before they were supposed to

It'll be back via the main DC youtube channel at some point today

This looks ok to me.

I thought the most interesting part was Susan Surandon, who looks like is playing the villain.

The suit looks cool but to me it looks like a mix of Iron Man/Yellowjacket/Spider-Man in blue

The Blue Beetle was a really cool old time radio program based on the 1939 comic. 

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Thank God I don't care about the "cinema as an aRt FoRm" and I'll happily continue watching blockbusters in the big screen.

Don't thank God. God knows he has nothing to do with this.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Thank God I don't care about the "cinema as an aRt FoRm" and I'll happily continue watching blockbusters in the big screen.

How shallow!

29 minutes ago, AC1 said:

How shallow!

Believe me, posts like those from the anti-comicbook gang who keep flooding the MCU and DCU threads whining about "sUpErHeRoEs ArE tHe DeAtH oF cInEmA aS aRt" only make me want to watch more Marvel and DC. Despite I haven't truly liked one of those since 2019, I still like to drink the salty tears from the haters.

image.png

So if you still care about the "Seventh art", instead of bitching in the internet go pay to see an independent movie at the theater. They really need your support.

The new Scorsese movie will receive a theatrical release despite being an Apple production, go watch that! It has everything the anti-comicbook gang loves: a cult director, Oscar-winning actors, an "important story", not a single CGI monster trying to destroy the world... And leave us superhero nerds alone.

Marvel and DC brought me more joy, happiness, friendship (not here) and treasured memories than any movie Scorsese would call art. So even despite their current crappiness, I'll always defend them from haters.

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Believe me, posts like those from the anti-comicbook gang who keep flooding the MCU and DCU threads whining about "sUpErHeRoEs ArE tHe DeAtH oF cInEmA aS aRt" only make me want to watch more Marvel and DC. Despite I haven't truly liked one of those since 2019, I still like to drink the salty tears from the haters.

Good grief mate. It's not about hating comic book movies. Some of us just want them to be better. Others may be content to eat the dog food they serve and pretend it's filet mignon (washed down with "salty tears"), but I think it's OK to expect more. But as long we settle for less, then yeah, 2019 may have indeed been the superhero apex.

• 3 weeks later...

It's hilarious that, for the first theatrical Flash movie (one of the defining characters from DC), it's the two Batmen and Supergirl who get the spotlight and major action beats from the trailer. It's kinda like Warner trying to hide Miller and also sell this as a quasi-Justice League film.

1 hour ago, Dr. Rick said:

I liked it!  

You Wanna Get Nuts Lets Get Nuts GIFs | Tenor

The use of that line in the trailer was absolutely ridiculous. Its' taking something that had no importance in the 89 movie and turn it into some sort of catchphrase just because the audience will remember it. It's letting the public perception of something seep into the movie itself. They already did the same thing in the first trailer with the "I'm Batman" line.

This nostalgia baiting needs to stop. It's lazy, it's uncreative, it breaks the immersion and the audience shouldn't reward this sort of thing

1 minute ago, Romão said:

The use of that line in the trailer was absolutely ridiculous. Its' taking something that had no importance in the 89 movie and turn it into some sort of catchphrase just because the audience will remember it. It's letting the public perception of something seep into the movie itself. They already did the same thing in the first trailer with the "I'm Batman" line.

This nostalgia baiting needs to stop. It's lazy, it's uncreative, it breaks the immersion and the audience shouldn't reward this sort of thing

Rolling-eyes-gif GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I thought that line seemed pretty bad, too.  It also is weird to see Burton’s/Keaton’s Batman in an Epic! setting.  It’ll be interesting to see the whole movie and how it works, but part of the charm of the movies they want us to be nostalgic for are the stylistic flourishes and the goofy, small stakes.

2 hours ago, Dr. Rick said:

I liked it!  

You Wanna Get Nuts Lets Get Nuts GIFs | Tenor

So both versions of the Flash have referenced this line now?

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not a fan of “character” posters, I find them a bit excessive and - more often than not - unnecessary, but it made me happy to see these.

To me, these characters are just so iconic, that when I saw them, my inner child just jumped for joy. I can’t waiti for this movie to come out. I even find myself able to tolerate another movie featuring Batman (I think the character is a bit overexposed in recent years).

I’m not saying they’re good or better than character posters in general but I’m just excited for the movie. A Flash movie, nonetheless. With Supergirl. And Batman with the ‘89 Batmobile.

What more do you want? :)

3E3326D5-6CCA-4550-9088-BB40827ECDF2.jpeg

2EDE3CE4-5948-4006-91EB-D7744C985C92.jpeg

E2CCC61D-6336-489A-81B2-03DBA92F7B0D.jpeg

Snyder interview about Batman v Superman:

the director explained during a Q&A at his Full Circle charity event why he believes most of the negative reviews for Batman v Superman were a result of audiences not picking up on his multi-layered approach to storytelling. "I think, and maybe I’m wrong. but I feel like a lot of people went into the movies for going like, 'Oh, it’s the superhero romp, right? Let’s have fun with it,'" Snyder said. "And we gave them this sort of hardcore deconstructivist, heavily layered, experiential modern mythological superhero movie that needs…that you really need to pay attention to." He continued, "That was not cool [for them]. That’s not something anyone wanted to do. They were like, 'What? No! That’s exhausting. How about, why do they fight at night?' I hate that."

No. It was because paying attention didn't actually do us any good. There is no payoff. It's 3/4 of a movie of dancing around and setting up subplots and all these nooks and crannies and then someone looks at their watch and says "Hey the movies almost over! Damn it! THEY NEED TO FIGHT!"

The movie is so much less than the sum of its parts.

I loved Man of Steel and I don't know what I'd call my reaction to Snyder's Justice League but it's positive. (I'm equally bewildered, entertained, and slightly awed, I guess.) Actually, that description above sounds like Justice League: "hardcore deconstructivist, heavily layered, experiential modern mythological superhero movie that needs…that you really need to pay attention to." That's certainly not BvS.

Snyder spent all of these years listening to his minions and sycophants arguing on Twitter that this movie is some sort of hidden masterpiece that only they understand. BvS is not "deep or multi-layered", instead it's poorly-written and with horrible VFX.

I like his JL and (to a lesser extent) MoS though.

The issue with BVS is the shoehorned trailer for future characters and I think the monster at the end was unnecessary. The Ultimate Edition of the movie has the payoff for the side plots and is a much better film.

I just recently finished an edit of the Batman v Superman UE to make it more concise and actually focus on the story rather than all the other stuff that will end up leading nowhere. I cut the Knightmare stuff, I cut the whole desert opening (which we saw so we the audience knew it made no sense that everyone was arguing about Superman killing people when we know he didn't), I also cut the scene of Diana looking through the folder of the other metas complete with their corresponding logos for some reason. I also trimmed some of Lex's nonsense and tried to make him more serious (this was harder to accomplish but somewhat successful). I then ended the film on a hard cut of Bruce at the funeral talking about his feeling that something was coming that would set up the JL film, rather than the dirt rising on Clark's grave which was retconned anyway.

Ultimately, it's still a weak film but there is some good stuff in there, but it's overall just the wrong direction to take and basically was the death knell for the DCEU before it really started, as they were never able to escape audience's reaction to the film.

I rewatched all the Snyder films not long ago and still can't get over the misery of Man of Steel. I thought it might have been me back in 2013 being in a bad mood. But no, this is just dull and unwatchable. Batman v Superman has at least some appeal to it, notably being more aesthetically pleasing in what we would recognise as director's style. By that I mean it actually feels like someone's work, for better or worse. The extended cut does actually improve upon the movie but it doesn't make it good necessarily. There's nothing particularly intellectual about any of it. I get that Snyder went for a more "Greek god" angle in his work, which is fine, but hardly new in his work. I wasn't annoyed at it at first because of the tone, I was annoyed because of the obnoxiousness and noise. Which is why his Justice League was the best of the lot. The storytelling felt quite focused and I even felt something at some point. But it's still just bloat by the end of the day. Still, having seen his vision of the other unmade chapters, I would like him to at least complete his vision. The ideas there were no that bad actually.

Karol

On 04/04/2023 at 3:36 AM, Nick1Ø66 said:

Oh for f*cks sake. Every person who buys a ticket to this movie is contributing to the death of cinema as an art form.

of theatres. not of cinema.

I think Snyder can be a good filmmaker but he didn’t understand Superman, and initially didn’t even want to do a Superman movie.

He even stated as much during the MoS promo interviews, that talks with DC started after his success with Suckerpunch. DC asked him “So what would you like to do?” He answered “I’d love to do Batman.” “You can’t have Batman, but how about Superman?”

So it makes sense that he rushed to include the Bat at soon as MoS was a moderate success (at least bigger than Superman Returns) and he had a bit more leverage with the DC bigwigs.

On 7/5/2023 at 3:11 PM, rough cut said:

I’m not a fan of “character” posters, I find them a bit excessive and - more often than not - unnecessary, but it made me happy to see these.

To me, these characters are just so iconic, that when I saw them, my inner child just jumped for joy. I can’t waiti for this movie to come out. I even find myself able to tolerate another movie featuring Batman (I think the character is a bit overexposed in recent years).

I’m not saying they’re good or better than character posters in general but I’m just excited for the movie. A Flash movie, nonetheless. With Supergirl. And Batman with the ‘89 Batmobile.

What more do you want? :)

3E3326D5-6CCA-4550-9088-BB40827ECDF2.jpeg

2EDE3CE4-5948-4006-91EB-D7744C985C92.jpeg

E2CCC61D-6336-489A-81B2-03DBA92F7B0D.jpeg

Really considerate of them to have a Flash character poster in a movie about The Flash called The Flash.