The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the first time that someone who's name came up in "They ought to cast..." discussions (Brosnahan) actually did get cast? I've heard her name thrown around a bit for her work on Maisel

8 hours ago, AC1 said:

This new Supes looks like a TV soap actor.

To me, he looks a bit like a younger Henry Cavill. When I look at him I immediately think for a split second that they're bringing Cavill back.

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

Is it against the rules to say that the dude looks like a dick?

Does he look like a lady?

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

To me, he looks a bit like a younger Henry Cavill. When I look at him I immediately think for a split second that they're bringing Cavill back.

That is, probably, the idea.

13 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I imagine his Superman movie will have a lot less dick jokes and off color humour.

I imagine it won't. That's my worry. I've never seen or heard of Gunn doing otherwise.

Already some work happening on the score, despite filming being several months away!

And we still don't know who the composer is. But Gunn has been working with John Murphy quite a lot recently, so I'm expecting it to be him...

Screen Shot 2023-07-03 at 11.17.44 AM.png

I wonder which songs he will choose for the movie. Superman was always more associated with instrumental scores, so I believe Gunn's will be the first Super movie to feature a lot of songs (besides the score, of course, which I'm sure will be John Murphy again).

Apart from SUNSHINE*, I don't think I've heard anything from Murphy which I cared about. Anyhow, Gunn will fill his movies with needle drops. This is going to be tiring.

* and that's probably because of Underworld's involvement.

For me, anything musically is going to be an upgrade from Man of Steel and BvS, so Murphy will be fine.  I don’t expect anything thrilling from Murphy more than I’d expect anything thrilling from anybody at this point, as every single promising composer seems to get flattened pretty good into the Modern Film Scoring sound, which is kind of a low ceiling endeavor.  I’d love to be surprised. 

Thank goodness Blue Beetle won't be another superhero movie as long as a Biblical epic.

The final runtime for Blue Beetle is 2 Hours 7 minutes and 18 seconds.
#BlueBeetle #DCEU #WarnerBros

Source: Twitter

3 hours ago, a good little monkey said:

They're not taking it easy at the start, that's for sure:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2023/07/superman-legacy-cast

Green Lantern is returning to the big screen, baby!

Best Green Lantern Corps GIFs | Gfycat

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Is that a cynical statement?

Because how would you know?

I wasn't being cynical, the movie does look entertaining.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/07/2023 at 9:51 AM, iamleyeti said:

Apart from SUNSHINE*, I don't think I've heard anything from Murphy which I cared about. Anyhow, Gunn will fill his movies with needle drops. This is going to be tiring.

i'm trying to mentally alter reality so that this becomes "Gunn will fill his movie with needle drops by JW and JG because they're vintage", but i don't think it works

and he could still be a scab

• 2 weeks later...

Gunn and Safran probably fed Gadot some empty platitudes about 'looking into future opportunities together' or whatever, but have no intention of actually making another WW movie with her.

Not exclusive to Hollywood; that's corporate speak the world over.

• 2 weeks later...

The DCEU is now since 2019 without releasing a movie that is actually profitable at the box office.

Warner Bros. Has Now Released SEVEN DC Extended Universe Box Office Flops In A Row

More concerning is the fact Blue Beetle is currently the seventh DCEU box office flop released in a row:

• Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey ($201 million)
  • Wonder Woman 1984 ($166 million)
  • The Suicide Squad ($167 million)
  • Black Adam ($391 million)
  • Shazam! Fury of the Gods ($132 million)
  • The Flash ($268 million)
  • Blue Beetle ($43.4 million and counting)

https://comicbookmovie.com/dc-studios/warner-bros-has-now-released-seven-dc-extended-universe-box-office-flops-in-a-row-a205161

I liked both Birds of Prey and The Suicide Squad, but haven’t bothered to see any of the others.  The rest had trailers etc that left me shrugging, and in that case there is nothing but excellent reviews to draw me in - which certainly weren’t available for these movies.

Out of those seven flops, the only ones who can say that they were actually harmed by the pandemic were WW84 and The Suicide Squad. The others were plain and simple rejected by the audiences, or, in Black Adam's case, didn't perform well enough to justify the huge production costs.

Between WW84 and TSS, the only one I believe that could have actually performed well if it wasn't for the pandemic is the Wonder Woman sequel. It was one of the most antecipated movies of 2020 until the shutdown. Of course, people didn't know back then that the movie was awful, so at least a huge opening weekend in a non-pandemic world could have happened.

Besides the pandemic, The Suicide Squad was harmed by the terrible reception of the previous movie (why would people pay to see a sequel of a movie so despised?) and the lack of actual stars, like Will Smith... or the Joker lol.

54 minutes ago, Brónach said:

i enjoy the misfortune of megacorps that actively make the world of movies worse, and i hope (perhaps pointlessly) that a string of large enough failures, strikes, and even regulations changes things enough that we can get more interesting or daring movies, perhaps even scores

Yeah, but that misfortune wouldn't actually harm the big executives, who are the biggest responsibles for this mess, but rather millions of workers who depend on the entertainment industry to support their families. Looking at Disney, they fired millions earlier this year, and meanwhile Bob Iger remains with a massive payday.

I don't think it's fair to root for millions of people to lose their jobs just because some cinephiles want cinemas to play Oscar-worthy dramas about the Holocaust or crime thrillers rather than superhero movies.

And given the current context, it's more likely that Disney and the others would just cut as many jobs as they possibly can and rely on ChatGPT to write their Disney+ crap.

well i did skip the step of "improved worker conditions and copyright laws" in my post even though i did allude to these things

it's all related

and i didnt even mention distribution and how in the streaming mess everyone just gets to do way way less work for way way less pay and nobody learns anything about making tv. i've read so many weird comments about this already.

and (perhaps i'm wrong) but if you want to be hired, you have more chances with 60 crews for 60 five million movies than with a single 300 million movie

maybe  the issue is also that these monstrosities don't act much like "movie studios" at times? they want to distribute, they want to retroactively erase things from existence... like those cartoons... wtf