The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, AC1 said:

It's over, guys. People now want Ken The Movie and Oppenheimer 2.

Forget about Oppenheimer 2. The sequels will be JFK and Teller :D

The internet smugness aside (something we are occasionally all guilty of), he's not really wrong. It's an iconic piece of filmmaking but that doesn't make it a good piece of filmmaking.

Karol

I have the exact same opinion, but for the Nolan movies. The Dark Knight is the better movie, but Batman Begins will always be my preferred. I saw it at age 12 and I thought it was awesome.

As for the Burton movies, I don't have any emotional attachments to them. They're well made and entertaining, and Elfman's scores are wonderful (better than any Zimmer Bat-score), but I do feel they're over-stylized, and the screenplays are messy.

I love Batman 89, despite not growing up with it. I don't care if James Gunn doesn't like it, but.... Anyone who thinks Danny Elfman's Batman score isn't the best DC score of all-time is objectively incorrect. 

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

An objective top-10 DC scores:

2/ BATMAN RETURNS

3/ BATMAN 

4/ SUPERGIRL

5/ BATMAN FOREVER

6/ SUPERMAN RETURNS

7/ THE ROAD TO PERDITION

8/ GREEN LANTERN

9/ JOKER

10/ BATMAN BEGINS

Hey you left of #1. What could it be?

I’ve always loved Man of Steel’s score. It’s grown on me even more over the years.

Also what Snyder bot loser had to dig through 14 years of Facebook messages to find that comment from Gunn. Bunch of no life nerds. Plus I think he was talking about the soundtrack by Prince not the Elfman score itself.

Former DC Comics president Diane Nelson criticized Joss Whedon's Justice League:

“My characterization is Joss was a bit of a shiny penny during a time when they were looking for something shiny to grab onto… Yeah, I mean, I thought the final film was terrible,” Nelson told The Washington Post. “Yeah, I mean, I would have much preferred a darker-than-I-wanted or longer-than-I’d hoped-for Zack Snyder cut than the Frankenstein cut we got in theatres. The Trinity characters of Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman should have, by any measure, blown any other superhero movie away, and they didn’t.”

The quote came from here, but the whole interview is here.

As much as I hate the theatrical Justice League (and I hate it a lot) we finally got to see Snyder's Justice League (and it's an overindulgent mess and I love it). But we never got to see Whedon's Justice League.

The theatrical JL is orders of magnitude worse than anything else he ever made. Which is kind of weird, isn't it?

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Let's face it, a Justice League movie by the Russo brothers, that's what we want to see. 

That'd be great, but after helming four MCU mega-blockbusters in a row within the space of five years, I think they'd rather be away from these kinds of productions and focusing on their streaming crap for Netflix or whatever.

To the extent that I want a Justice League movie, I would want it to tell a story that serves the characters and not just the plot mechanisms, utilize their powers in interesting ways alone and together, and above all, be fun like the comic books I prefer to read.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

That'd be great, but after helming four MCU mega-blockbusters in a row within the space of five years, I think they'd rather be away from these kinds of productions and focusing on their streaming crap for Netflix or whatever.

They want to do small, experimental films.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

To the extent that I want a Justice League movie, I would want it to tell a story that serves the characters and not just the plot mechanisms, utilize their powers in interesting ways alone and together, and above all, be fun like the comic books I prefer to read.

So... The Avengers? I'm sure that's what DC was thinking too.

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

He should have sticked to Firefly. 

I'm not sure that was an option. If it was, he's a master of keeping a secret.

8 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

So... The Avengers? I'm sure that's what DC was thinking too.

The first Avengers is probably my least favorite of the 4, but it does fit in that broad framework!  Fun is a pretty broad framework, as for me even something like the Nolan Batman trilogy or even the grim The Batman were fun -  nobody was having fun in them, but the movies themselves were fun.  Nothing in Man of Steel felt fun to me, nor did most of BvS.  Snyder has made it pretty clear in interviews that his priorities laid elsewhere and that’s fine because clearly there was a very loud contingent of people online who were into it, but for me, I know better than to dive into a seven hour cut of Justice League under his guidance.

I never liked Firefly/Serenity or Buffy.  Whedon was just been one of those “not for me” folks I guess, even before The Cancellation.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Why does the article say "Gunn's questionable praise for The Flash"?

Before the release, Gunn said that The Flash is one of the best superhero movies of all time. I'm pretty sure people who spend more time than they should discussing superhero movies on the internet is using this against him given his comments about the Burton Bat-movies.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Maybe The Flash is hated by the Snyder mob?

I try to stay as far from superhero discourse on Twitter as possible, but from what I know, the Snyder bros hated The Flash since before it was released and celebrated its box office flop.

Then again, these guys probably hate every DC movie except those directed by Snyder (and maybe Nolan).

I can't believe that people care about what he wrote about some movies 15 years ago. I love Batman Begins and he might not. This doesn't bother me one bit.

These types of people online who just try to drag people down are really petty and sad... Let Gunn start his universe without agendas and if the movies are good then that's good for everyone!

• 1 month later...

Nic Cage confirms that his scene in The Flash where he's fighting a giant spider wasn't done by him.

During a new interview with Yahoo!, Cage once again made it clear that he did physically shoot something for the movie, but the original idea for his role was very different to what ended up on screen.

“They did put a lot of time into building the suit, and I think [Andy] is a terrific director, he is a great guy and a great director, and I loved his two It movies. What I was supposed to do was literally just be standing in an alternate dimension, if you will, and witnessing the destruction of the universe. Kal-El was bearing witness [to] the end of a universe, and you can imagine with that short amount of time that I had, what that would mean in terms of what I can convey. I had no dialogue [so had to] convey with my eyes the emotion. So that’s what I did. I was on set for maybe three hours.”

We did get a brief close-up of Cage's Superman as he surveyed the damage (how much emotion registered in his eyes is up for debate), but then it was giant spider time!

“When I went to the picture, it was me fighting a giant spider. I did not do that. That was not what I did. I don’t think it was [created by] AI. I know Tim is upset about AI, as I am. It was CGI, OK, so that they could de-age me, and I’m fighting a spider. I didn’t do any of that, so I don’t know what happened there. But I get where Tim's coming from. I know what he means. I would be very unhappy if people were taking my art and appropriating them. I get it. I mean, I’m with him in that regard. AI is a nightmare to me. It’s inhumane. You can’t get more inhumane than artificial intelligence.

“But I don't think it [was] AI [in The Flash]," he went on. "I just think that they did something with it, and again, it’s out of my control. I literally went to shoot a scene for maybe an hour in the suit, looking at the destruction of a universe and trying to convey the feelings of loss and sadness and terror in my eyes. That’s all I did.”

What did you make of Cage's Superman scene in The Flash? Drop us a comment down below.

https://comicbookmovie.com/the-flash/nicolas-cage-comments-on-his-much-discussed-superman-cameo-in-the-flash-i-did-not-do-that-a207562