Middle Earth spin-off movies

This dawned on me while watching the DoS EE earlier today.

Spin-offs of Tolkiens written works already exist when it comes to games, so why should there not be spin-off movies? Set in Tolkien's Middle Earth, but without being actually based on his books.

This is what Disney will be doing with Star Wars, Marvel is essentially doing this with it's movies, so why can't Warner Bros and New Line do this with their Middle Earth franchise?

It would really depend on what do they have rights for. The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings is all they own at the moment so everything else is off limits in terms of characters and stories. Appendices of LotR have mostly the bare bones of bigger historical stories like the Kinstrife of Gondor or the Wainrider wars or the history of the Rohirrim and the history of the North Kingdom. All are ripe with great individual stories large and small and with development one could imagine these periods would be less constricting than the canon era of Lord of the Rings where everything is put down to smaller detail.

With The Hobbit, LOTR and the appendices you have pretty much anything post Silmarillion. Also they could just invent stories and characters and set it in Tolkiens world. I'm sure this is done for games, so why not movies?

New Line can make films out of any characters in The Hobbit and LOTR, just not story elements only described in The Silmarillion. So yea, they certainly could make spinoff movies - and I'm sure they will. Dunno why you are acting as if they've never even thought of or discussed it - of course they have.

I can already imagine a high profile Rangers of the North spin-off TV show about the Dunedain of the North Kingdom. With gratuitous sex and violence of course. It would combine the period drama with subtle fantasy elements and be set in the post destruction of Arthedain in the 2000s of the Third Age.

I was thinking when I was watching either AUJ or DOS sometime that a movie about the whole Dwarf/Orc war would be pretty good. To stick to Tolkien it would contradict what was shown in the Hobbit movies, but it is a great story that would work well on screen for sure.

I want a Balrog mini series explaining how they began life as a peace-loving Maiars and ended up being seduced by Melkor, but done in the style of Breaking Bad.

Sorry, that is Silmarillion stuff. No can do unless they buy the rights and Tolkien Estate ain't selling I wager.

The thing is Tolkien spin-off movies just wouldn't sell as well as Star Wars or comic book films. The reason this franchise makes as much money as it does is because of PJ and returning elements of LOTR in cast and story. Once you make a movie about just the Rangers with a whole different cast and crew, people will stop caring, and would rather watch the 10th Avengers film instead.

Personally, I wouldn't even see why The Silmarillion ought to be produced.

I've read it, and it's B-O-R-I-N-G.

Also, Tolkien’s son, Christopher published it posthumously and is therefore the author’s literary executor. Good luck getting him to fork over the rights after what he said about the LOTR and Hobbit trilogies.

Or you can wait until 2043.

You know I was kidding when I called Tolkien boring. I hope you are too....

As do I...for his soul's sake!

Okay. Boring was the wrong word. It was... long.

Really long.

I can't get the Children of Hurin out of my head.

It won't be in the public domain by 2043

Silmarillion was published in 1977 when the copyright law was "Author's lifetime +50 years" and, up until 1976, had just been "56 years even if the author is still alive" (Opportunistic much?) Now, thanks to the 1998 copyright law renewal which is now "Author's lifetime +70 years," the math indicates that Silmarillion's copyright will expire on September 2, 2043. Otherwise, it would've expired on Septemeber 2, 2023.

So unless the Tolkien estate plans to renew the copyright law on Silmarillion again, mark your calender for September 2, 2043.

And incidentally, 2116 for the collective works of Harry Potter. :P

They'd look like video games by the time they got to tv anyway. Plus they'd be invisible to the naked eye and would require special glasses in order to perceive the image within the layers of colour graded post processing.

They'd look like video games by the time they got to tv anyway. Plus they'd be invisible to the naked eye and would require special glasses in order to perceive the image within the layers of colour graded post processing.

A mantis shrimp would have no problem watching it, then.