BloodBoal

It's too bad, the director's cut looks a little more polished

My main gripes with the film:

The acting and cast interaction doesn't seem as good and natural as in the TV show or the later films. It's like all the cast seem detached or don' t really want to be there, or they forgot how to play their characters. There's a huge difference between this movie and Wrath of Khan

Some sequences are extended way too long and the overall story isn't that interesting

I love STTMP probably because I was a big fan of the original. It just oozes with mystery and there were actually alot of episodes that used this same formula. For example, the one about the giant space ameoba where the whole episode was the crew trying to understand a powerful planet destroying mysterious entity. My rating for the directors cut of the film is 8/10, Music 10/10, Shatner's hair piece: 0/10. And.....who...............could...ever...........matchtheShatnercadence?

I love it because it looks and sounds incredible. Are the characters at their best here? Probably not. But it's like this great spectacle I can't stop watching once I've started.

BB, I agree that the acting is, I guess basically pretty stiff in this film, and it seems like the cast has no chemistry together. You'd think after 3 years of doing 24-29 episodes per year they would all have great chemistry together when reunited, but maybe the director or Roddenberry told them to act in the way they do in this film. I dunno.

Luckily the problem is immediately solved in the next film, where they all have great chemistry again, which continues for the rest of the movie series.

~

Another interesting thing is that for some reason, even though The Motion Picture came out about a decade after the show ended, it only takes place a few years after the show ended, so you have this weird thing where everyone looks way older but it supposed to be younger. Sticking them in those truly awful outfits didn't help either. Luckily this is also immediately rectified in the next film - it came out 14 years after the original series episode Space Seed (which you may want to watch before you watch the film), and it takes place 14 years after that episode. So all the actors are now aging exactly with their characters, and they are all in way better outfits too, not to mention the much better acting and chemistry too. Of course a lot of that is due to writing as well.

Then what is about episodes of the original series, which would have had a lot of creative input from Roddenberry, that made them work on levels that The Motion Picture didn't?

If they absolutely had to "redo" one of these films, it should have been this instead of WOK. Executed a little better, there's a fantastic movie in there instead of just a watchable one. The Decker/Ilia angle, and their eventual merging into a new sort of being, could be done awesomely.

Michael Fassbender would be perfect as Decker in the remake! He actually looks a bit like the young Stephen Collins!

"Jim, I want this. As much as you wanted the Enterprise, I want this."

michael-david-prometheus2021.jpg

3427-18156.gif

Ridley Scott was definitely influenced by this Decker fella.

One thing I forgot to mention is that while I was OK with the reveal of the Enterprise scene, it is quite ridiculous, when you think about the course the space shuttle takes: Kirk and Scotty arrive on the port side of the ship, they "fly" along it to arrive in front of it, then they fly along its starboard side to finally go back to its port side and reach the airlock. Basically, they take a 360° tour of the Enterprise in a "Fuck, an unstoppable entity is coming towards Earth to destroy it! We must do something!" context... Well, they don't seem too concerned about that here!

The Enterprise wasnt fully staffed even after Kirk arrived, so the 360 degree tour didnt slow them down.

It's a great scene visually and musically. Thats all I care about.

BTW fun fact BB, one of the people who die in the transporter accident was supposed to be Kirks Wife (in Roddenberry's novelization).