The Battle of the Five Armies SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

gkgyver

I was able to compare during the marathon.

Azog is a great looking, distinct villain. Something LOTR kinda missed, untill Gothmog

These Hobbit films don't really have a central villain. Sauron is gone before the battle even begins.

Much is made of the release of the Nine, but they barely feature.

Azog is the closest thing we got.

I never said that!

The Hobbit has nothing that comes close to Saruman. (Sauron is quite boring anyway)

You don't make any sense, man!

The Hobbit doesn't have a strong overarching lead villain. Sauron barely features and disappeared in the first part of film three, so all we are left with is henchmen!

Dunno whats so hard to grasp about that.

In ROTK one of the changes I found the most annoying was that PJ ommited Sam taking the Rong from the presumed dead Frodo in favor of making it a "surprise" later in the film.

In TBOTFA we actually know that Bilbo has the Arkenstone Thorin desires, and this makes for a few very nice scenes of Bilbo struggling between his loyalty to Thorin, and knowing that giving the arkenstone will just make things worse.

This gives Freeman a it more to do in this film, thankfully. I feared they were going to try and keep the viewer in the dark about whether Bilbo did or did not pick it up till the moment he reveals it to the Elven King. Instead they finally chose to focus more on the bond between Bilbo and Thorin, which started in reshoots for AUJ, and was not followed up on in DoS at all.

In ROTK one of the changes I found the most annoying was that PJ ommited Sam taking the Rong from the presumed dead Frodo in favor of making it a "surprise" later in the film.

In TBOTFA we actually know that Bilbo has the Arkenstone Thorin desires, and this makes for a few very nice scenes of Bilbo struggling between his loyalty to Thorin, and knowing that giving the arkenstone will just make things worse.

This gives Freeman a it more to do in this film, thankfully. I feared they were going to try and keep the viewer in the dark about whether Bilbo did or did not pick it up till the moment he reveals it to the Elven King. Instead they finally chose to focus more on the bond between Bilbo and Thorin, which started in reshoots for AUJ, and was not followed up on in DoS at all.

I think they should have shown more appreciation from Thorin to Bilbo in DoS as it would have made the further bonding more natural in BotFA. And I really loved how they finally focused on Bilbo more, not just as facilitator of things as a person who helps the dwarves out of a physical trouble but on a personal level.

The biggest issue DoS has is that it's extreme lack of focus led to it's 3 main characters Bilbo, Thorin and Gandalf being underdevelopped. Very little of the stuborn heroism that Thorin showed in AUJ showed up in DoS. Gandalfs spends too much time away from the main story and Bilbo dissapears to the background in between the Spiders fight and when they finally open the door at Erebor

The biggest issue DoS has is that it's extreme lack of focus led to it's 3 main characters Bilbo, Thorin and Gandalf being underdevelopped. Very little of the stuborn heroism that Thorin showed in AUJ showed up in DoS. Gandalfs spends too much time away from the main story and Bilbo dissapears to the background in between the Spiders fight and when they finally open the door at Erebor

My main issue with Thorin is that he is not for the most part a likeable character in DoS (or AUJ). He is haughty to a fault, stubborn, almost childishly proud and has such feeling of sulking entitlement about him that it is difficult to like him. I know he is suposed to be brooding but it can go too far. He treats everybody like dirt and expects automatic respect and goes throwing his kingship around as if he already has it. Yes he was proud in the novel but never to this level of obnoxiousness. I completely understand it at Erebor in DoS when he starts to become obsessed with the gold and the Arkenstone especially but before that he should have been toned down in this department.

I found Thorin similarly annoying in the novel, but a lot less courageous and noble.

Oh yes he is a bit annoying and has proud dwarven entitlement there as well but I am just sad Armitage had to be such a grouch all the time in the films. Thorin is just not very likeable.

Do we even know what happens to the Morgul blade after AUJ? I mean, who keeps it?

I suppose Gandalf still has it, so I guess it means PJ is planning on adding a scene in FOTR showing the Witch-King getting it back from him.

Will they meet up for tea and then exchange the blade?

Aragorn was born in 2931 TA, his father died two years later, and the Battle of the Five Armies occurred in 2941 TA. He could have easily meant Aragorn

In TTT Aragorn reveals himself to be 87, if I recall correctly. Since The Hobbit takes place about 60 years before that, that would make him 27 at the time of this movie. Remember you cannot apply the official Tolkien timeline on these films.

The final bit of dialogue with Gandalf was also wonderful, taken straight from the book for the most part. :)

Interestingly they chose to treat it very ominously though, this parting.

Plus there is the odd assumption that the movie seems to make that they do not see each other in the intervening years when the novel ends with Gandalf's and Balin's visit which suggests Gandalf kept eye on Bilbo at irregular intervals.

It's never stated that Gandalf and Bilbo never meet again. And the assumptions is that they do. Or else Frodo would not even know what Gandalf looks like.

Also Gandalfs visits to the Shire are frequent enough for him to be labeled a disturber of the peace, and for small children to know that Gandalf = fireworks

I wonder to what point Gandalf is refering in time from which Bilbo hasn't aged a day.

Yes!

But other information in the film contradicts this! OMG it's such a mess PJ screwed up from the first moment! His writers are fucking morons! They might as well have started the trilogy with Legolas beheading 50 Orcs while standing on the wings of a Fell Beast, upside down...trying to rescue his mother!

Yes!

But other information in the film contradicts this! OMG it's such a mess PJ screwed up from the first moment! His writers are fucking morons! They might as well have started the trilogy with Legolas beheading 50 Orcs while standing on the wings of a Fell Beast, upside down...trying to rescue his mother!

AWESOME!

That should be the prologue TBOTFA never had...

When PJ goes non-canon, he goes there all the way!

I don't think it was.

The tea is at 4 dialogue was form the book.

Peter Jackson walks past Bilbo with a chair, as he makes his way to Bag End's furniture-auction.

I don't think it was.

The tea is at 4 dialogue was form the book.

Peter Jackson walks past Bilbo with a chair, as he makes his way to Bag End's furniture-auction.

I saw PJs daughter's cameo in the Lake-Town opening but I missed PJ completely.

I saw PJs daughter's cameo in the Lake-Town opening but I missed PJ completely.

OK, just rewatched the film.

Thorin DOES shout "DU BEKAR!" when charging out of Erebor.

Ah so I did not entirely misremember. :)

So will I be the first to theorize that this trilogy has just been a huge metaphor for PJ's struggle to reclaim and defend cinematic Middle-Earth without being consumed by the sickness of modern filmmaking lazyness and bloatedness? Thorin cast in the role of tragically heroic misguided director, Bilbo as the sidelined author, etc.

So will I be the first to theorize that this trilogy has just been a huge metaphor for PJ's struggle to reclaim and defend cinematic Middle-Earth without being consumed by the sickness of modern filmmaking lazyness and bloatedness? Thorin cast in the role of tragically heroic misguided director, Bilbo as the sidelined author, etc.

OMG. That like totally makes total sense like completely man! Wow!

So Thorin's theme is PJ's theme and Dragon-Sickness is the CGI theme?

Yes, yes. And Arkenstone is the missing directorial skill which bestows him the right to make good pure movies again and summon his teams from across New Zealand to make them.