Concerto for Timpani & Orchestra

Marcus

Greetings everyone!

A couple of you have already heard it, but for those who haven't, a live recording of my Concerto for Timpani & Orchestra is now up on my website (www.marcuspaus.com). The piece was commissioned for the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra's 250th anniversary (one of the world's oldest orchestras), and the live recording features solo timpanist Håkon Kartveit and the BPO, conducted by maestro Andrew Litton.

Concerto for Timpani & Orchestra

A CD featuring the work will be out on LAWO records in October, but for those who wish to check out the live recording, it's really quite a wonderful and virtuosic performance.

Of all my more recent works, this is by far the most "cinematographic", certainly due to the very outdoorsy, celebratory temperment of both solo instrument and occasion. The work is in three movements, "Overture", "Nocturne" and "Finale", the final two movements are played attacca.

Hope you'll enjoy!

Cheers,

Marcus

Sounds very good Marcus, often very Williams-esque in turns of phrase and certain moods you create. I catch little influences of his concert work in particular. Which of course meant as compliment not to imply your work is derivative. :)

Fixed the link for you. I dunno how you managed to mess it up so much :lol:

Thank you! I'm cursed. Anything beyond pen & paper rarely works for me...

Fixed the link for you. I dunno how you managed to mess it up so much :lol:

Thank you! I'm cursed. Anything beyond pen & paper rarely works for me...

Obvious spiritual disciple of the Maestro. ;)

Great job! Congratulations and the Bergen Philharmonic, that's outstanding! My friend Chris Dudley plays trombone there. Fantastic group and congratulations again.

Oh, they're a wonderful group. And thank you so much!

I hung out with the orchestra following the second concert, and the trombone section outlasted all of us. When I finally capitulated ca. 6 a.m.,they were still drinking with undiminished enthusiasm ...

I definitely have to listen to some of your work, Marcus. A quick sampling reveals some truly fascinating efforts!

And yes, Williams's influence is quite apparent - for the better! I'm glad someone has the courage to inherit some of his ideas concerning harmony, for example.

EDIT: And, of course, as Incanus stated before, that's not to say your own voice doesn't shine through.

A really wonderful work I'm glad to know since the premiere -- as it was broadcast on radio.

As I've said before, I'm always looking forward to the next work Marcus gives us all, and as before, this not only met my expectations, it went way beyond them!

And again, congratulations for a superb piece, Marcus!

Thank you so much, Alexander, Miguel and Blume! Your kind and generous comments mean a great deal to me.

Thanks for sharing another piece, Marcus. The John Williams influence is evident in much of what you do, but I like it. There are some composers who do John Williams pastiche very well, down to the tiniest detail (Mike Verta -- who occasionally posts here -- is one such person). I admire that artform, because it is an artform in a way, even if it isn't terribly original. Your pieces, however, often take a left turn now and then, which makes it something in itself.

I hope you get to do more film work where the kind of style you explore in your concert work is more prevalent (although I'm aware Norwegian filmmakers often want something a little more.....uhm, "quirky", in lack of a better word).

Thanks for sharing another piece, Marcus. The John Williams influence is evident in much of what you do, but I like it. There are some composers who do John Williams pastiche very well, down to the tiniest detail (Mike Verta -- who occasionally posts here -- is one such person). I admire that artform, because it is an artform in a way, even if it isn't terribly original. Your pieces, however, often take a left turn now and then, which makes it something in itself.

I hope you get to do more film work where the kind of style you explore in your concert work is more prevalent (although I'm aware Norwegian filmmakers often want something a little more.....uhm, "quirky", in lack of a better word).

Thank you, Thor!

The two Norwegian films I have scored, "Upperdog" and "Umeå4ever", were enjoyable tasks, and provided me with an opportunity to search for colors and textures that would match the tone of the films.

With "Umeå", I was given complete freedom, and had lots of fun scoring it for saxophone, accordion and double bass (the virtuoso contemporary music trio Poing).

"Upperdog" was a slightly different experience, there was more money and risk involved, and I felt like I was on a constant audition (I had indeed gotten the assignment after the first composer was let go, and I was part of a group of 12 composers asked to submit works for consideration). As I work only in manuscript (pen&paper), the only sketches I can offer, are piano sketches. This created a certain tension, and I felt that I didn't really have the producers' trust until we got to the scoring stage.

I would like to do more film work, but I wouldn't take on an assignment now, unless the director specifically wanted my music.

In other words, I love collaborative efforts, but I want to be able to contribute to the full extent of my craft and abilities.

Given that very few people in the film industry have much of an interest in contemporary classical music, I am simply not a "go to" guy...

Nice work! I do hear the Williams influence in there though but you clearly have mastery of the orchestra and that Neo-romantic style.

Actually I thought the string theme sounded more like the the clara's theme from Back to the Future then JW.

Given that very few people in the film industry have much of an interest in contemporary classical music, I am simply not a "go to" guy...

Don't sell yourself short. Just look at what Henrik Skram is doing, for example. So there's still room for that, but you need to be "lucky" with the filmmaker in question. It's such a small industry, and unfortunately many of the filmmakers are into other modes of composition.

I love Henrik Skram's work. I do think, however, that both his method and language are a bit more conducive to the current state of affairs than mine (the pen&paper thing really is an obstacle...).

Again, I'd be thrilled to do more film work, and I harbor more than a little regret for having had to pass on a couple of opportunities that arose due to the success of "Upperdog", but my main gig is concert music.

To me, film music has been the main refuge & laboratory for tonal music since WWII, and I'm only too happy to try to bring some of the fruit of its labors back to the concert hall, or to venues for music drama.

I'm certainly not alone in this endeavor; whereas the great Classical-Romantic tradition once fathered what was to become the Hollywood tradition, that tradition now parents much of the neo-tonal music of the 21st Century (for better and for worse, certainly).

Just heard the piece. Superb stuff Marcus! Wonderfully crafted. The second movement is lovely.

Thank you so much!

Manuel Hofstätter, the main marimbist of the BPO, is such a sublime musician, so I had lots of fun devising the 2nd movement around those marimba cadenzas, as well as the triple cadenza with harp and solo timpani. Some really outstanding players in that orchestra...

Oh, I'm sorry I'm not computer savvy enough to be of assistance. What I do know, is that the audio files were doubly uploaded, in both mp3 and ogg formats (not that I would know what either format entails), which was my web designer's attempt to avoid the exact problem you're having...

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings! Not that I'm aware of. Although I know Saraste's expressed an interest in doing "Hate Songs" with Tora Augestad again, and Ekenes could be a likely place for such a reunion...

Please do give my regards to the Finnish Chamber Orchestra,and to maestro Saraste; they performed absolutely marvelously last year!