The 100 greatest American films

Ricard

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree with that article. The total absence of Eastwood, Fincher, the Coen Brothers or Soderbergh..., and films like The Grapes of Wrath, All About Eve, Midnight Cowboy, The Deer Hunter or Blade Runner not being on the list, in favor of 12 Years a Slave, Eternal Sunshine, Night of the Living Dead, Eyes Wide Shut, Marnie... Head-scratching to say the least.

True, no PTA film either.

Like the author of the HitFix article says, "knowing who the 62 critics from around the world who voted on the BBC's list are might explain exactly why some of these pictures made it on the list and why some didn't."

New Yorker critic Richard Brody weighs in on his participation in the poll and its results.

I’m one of the voters who took part, an opportunity I relished not least because I found the premise fun to think about—the editor who organized the poll, Christian Blauvelt, specified that he hoped that voters would respond personally, with an eye not to historical greatness but to their personal feelings about movies. … The point of such lists—their pleasure and their limit—is the element of self-portraiture; they’re far more illuminating about their authors than about the movies in question.

New Yorker critic Richard Brody weighs in on his participation in the poll and its results.

I’m one of the voters who took part, an opportunity I relished not least because I found the premise fun to think about—the editor who organized the poll, Christian Blauvelt, specified that he hoped that voters would respond personally, with an eye not to historical greatness but to their personal feelings about movies. … The point of such lists—their pleasure and their limit—is the element of self-portraiture; they’re far more illuminating about their authors than about the movies in question.

That's admirable.

Heaven's Gate only one step behind Gone With The Wind, and one step ahead of 12 Years a Slave = Zero credibility.

The Shawshank Redemption isn't on here? Glad to see that Heaven's Gate, a bad movie, and widely panned, managed to get on.

EDIT: Wait, not a single Coen Bros. film? No Fargo?? Terrible.

Forget that list! Here's the one everyone was waiting for: the top 100 movies voted on by Hollywood actors! http://www.timeout.com/newyork/movies/the-100-best-movies-of-all-time#tab_panel_10

"Don’t let its greatness scare you away. Citizen Kane is actually quite enjoyable to watch.”—Gilbert Gottfried