BloodBoal

Also the curious looking three-sided mace the earlier Azog designs have, travelled with the new character designs quite a while before they changed it to the one he has in the finished film. You can see it a lot in the earlier animatics in the documentaries.

Well Bolg is listed in the end credits of AUJ, so that is Bolg seen at the battle.

There's no way he dies there, as he's the one that leads the orc attack on Lake-town in DOS.

Unless Sauron resurrects him...

Hmm, of course, if Bolg looks different in DOS now, then they can say that was some other orc in the battle, and the end credits are wrong... My head hurts.

First of all...I think that the CGI azog is the best thing out of the lot. I like that desing much more than the rest. I'm glad they did it. The 1st variant of the 1st desing may have worked. The rest..NOPE.

Second of all. If orc come from the bodies of corrupted elves, i can see why they realised they had to change the designs. It seems they wanted to make 'dwarvish looking orcs', in a dwarven driven movie. Then they realised the elven ancestry... and droped the designs. That makes AUJ 'bolg' a kind of oddity...since i think no more bearded orcs apear on screen. Even the goblin king beard is not of hair...

Yea, the original Bolg is the best out of all the orcs

Bolg-1-973x1024.jpeg

Shame it's being replaced in DOS and AUJ with a bald pale CGi creation just because he's the "offspring" of Azog!

I wish that there was just Bolg in these films and that Azog had died in battle long ago.

Yep.

It seems the only reason they need both to be alive is so that they can have Gandalf fight one in Dol Guldur while the other fights the elves in Lake-town, but I still would have preferred they made up an orc to fill one of those roles than having Azog still be alive.

Yea, the original Bolg is the best out of all the orcs

Bolg-1-973x1024.jpeg

Shame it's being replaced in DOS and AUJ with a bald pale CGi creation just because he's the "offspring" of Azog!

Looks too much like a kids show villain to me. I prefer CG Azog.

What about it?

Did you find it aesthetically pleasing to your eye?

Oh and the weapon Bolg/Azog is carrying looks out of proportion in that above picture. The one posted above it by BB is much better, where it doesn't look like one of those PJs excesses like the mace of the Witch-King from RotK.

Look at that wildly oversized mace. It's like something from Power Rangers.

SPOT ON!

Those desings are a joke to Lurtz and company.

He doesnt even look like an orc...but somekind of twisted-wrinkled human-lion.

Look at that wildly oversized mace. It's like something from Power Rangers.

SPOT ON!

Those desings are a joke to Lurtz and company.

He doesnt even look like an orc...but somekind of twisted-wrinkled human-lion.

I would trim the beard and hair away and take away the spiky iron plate thingies from his head, which would improve the design immensely.

OK now hold on, I think there's so misinformation going around here.

First of all, the fact that the original Azog design was used for Bolg's design is completely irrelevant. We know some hard core FACTS about what happened during the filming of AUJ.

During the entire run of principal photography (filming both films at this point, remember), John Rawls played Azog as seen as Design #2 above, and Conan Stevens played Bolg as seen as Design #1 above. This is a fact!

It was only AFTER principal photography, sometime during post-production in the summer of 2012, that PJ decided he didn't like Azog's design any more, and created a new one from scratch, replaced the original design with the new one for the Frying Pan sequence and anything in DOS/TABA, and turned Azog's "observing the company from a distance" and Warg Chase scenes into a new character called Yazneg so that those wouldn't have to be replaced as well (which also changed the story, as originally Thorin realized during the Warg Chase that Azog was still alive).

No way, the Warg Chase Yazneg is John Rawls playing Azog! It's the same design!

They just cut around the reveal, you can see half a shot where Thorin is reacting to seeing Azog alive still in the film!

There's no WAY they went back and had John Rawls re-film his Warg Chase scenes in a slightly different costume / make-up or whatever - NO WAY!

PJ decided he didn't like Azog's design, and it was too late to CGI in the new Azog EVERYWHERE, so the compromise was to only replace him in Out of the Frying Pan, and have his previously - shot scenes of observing the company and the warg chase stay as-is, just make that guy be Yazneg instead. Dub in a new line when he observes the company, remove the shots of Thorin recognizing Azog, shoot a pickup scene of Azog killing Yazneg and Thorin reacting to Azog being alive during the Frying Pan sequence and voila, all done.

Terry Notary played Yazneg in those re-shot scenes, for the scene where he is watching the company from the ledge and the Warg chase and finally the Weathertop scene if I remember correctly from the documentaries. I remember the language coach saying that he had to learn 9 Black Speech phrases for that from scratch. And this all happened in the pick-ups. John Rawls didn't get to play either Orc I guess. :stir:

So Notary has the most elaborate cameo of them all. ;)

That makes no sense - as scripted, it is Azog who sees them from the ledge, so why would they have to refilm it?

Why would they have to refilm the ledge if the first pass had probably the actor of Azog (John Rawls) there? Why wouldn't they reshoot it with Yazneg, who despite his similarities with earlier Azog design is different from him?

I think turning Azog into the behind-the-scenes villain for the opening part of the film created changes throughout the film. Plus of course PJ changing his mind about Azog every 5 minutes adds to the confusion of the whole thing.

It is really getting too convoluted and confusing and I suggest we just settle for our hook-handed albino charmer that we got and move on.