The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

It seriously looked like something out of Harry Potter.

And what's really weird? Maz's CGI was FLAWLESS. She was a great character, perfectly realized with great CGI!

They must have re-designed Snoke late in the process, and agreed on Maz's design early, or something. Odd to have such great and bad CGI characters in the same movie.

I do agree than Snoke was underwritten, but on the other hand am glad there is something left to discover (despite the retreads of the OT) in the next films.

They must have re-designed Snoke late in the process,

Serkis (I think?) did say that they kept finding things to change.

Snoke's presence was fine, but rather redundant. He really stuck out though in an otherwise handsome looking film.

Kylo Ren's character doesn't do much to either strike fear in the audience or gain sympathy.

Plus it was odd that Ren and Hux were like... equals in the film? They both could just wander in and out of that chamber they talked to Snoke in, and he gave them both independent commands, and they seemed to kind of be able to tell the other what to do at times too? Their relationships all around were not clearly defined.

I can't wait to see the terrible CGI!

Snoke is the only aspect of TFA rendered poorly, and even then I've seen ILM do worse (Crystal Skull anyone?).

All other VFX shots look great.

I didn't really have much of a problem with that. Though I guess you could argue what about Hux makes him so bold to challenge someone who could use the Force to easily destory them.

All 3 characters were basically shadowing similar roles from the OT anyway, so you never really feel compelled to scrutinize that much. But the Kylo Ren character seemed a bit directionless, like the writers didn't quite know what to do with him. Is he supposed to be the new Darth Vader? Is he the victim in all this? Is he supposed to help us understand the Force?

Driver's performance showed none of that and was strangely ambiguous, and not in a good way.

the Kylo Ren character seemed a bit directionless, like the writers didn't quite know what to do with him. Is he supposed to be the new Darth Vader? Is he the victim in all this? Is he supposed to help us understand the Force?

Oooh, see, I don't agree with you there... I thought that was handled well, in fact! In other words, I think its great that we don't know exactly if he's the true villain, a tortured good guy, a victim, etc. Because I think he doesn't even know. I don't think there's bad writing here, I think its cool they finally have a "grey" villain instead of the stock "definitely good" and "definitely bad" characters in all the other films. Maybe they can do with him what they should have been able to do with Anakin, in a way.

Driver's performance showed none of that and was strangely ambiguous, and not in a good way.

Adam Driver is a terrible actor. I hate him on Girls and anything else I've seen him in. But he didn't make my skin crawl here like he does in other things. I think a lot more about his character will be revealed in the next film that may help us understand his performance here. I dunno.

Another way he was mis-cast is that he's too old! They should have cast an actor in his early twenties like they did for Rey.

I don't disagree with you there Jay. I'm all for grey characters, but maybe its something about the delivery that didn't quite sell it to me.

For instance, Han's death wasn't as emotionally engaging as it could have been, just because we don't really know how to feel about this Kylo Ren character. We know so little about him.

Which is fine because I'm sure that's what the other films will be doing. But it doesn't help the film pull off certain stunts like that.

I don't disagree with you there Jay. I'm all for grey characters, but maybe its something about the delivery that didn't quite sell it to me.

Gotcha. Maybe he just has too much of a baby face to be an intimidating character. He was quite different with the mask on vs off!

For instance, Han's death was as emotionally engaging as it could have been, just because we don't really know how to feel about this Kylo Ren character. We know so little about him.

Yup, totally completely agreed. I wonder if there are scenes JJ deleted that would embellish their characters and relationship better?

Which is fine because I'm sure that's what the other films will be doing. But it doesn't help the film pull off certain stunts like that.

It's too late to go into Han and Ren's backstory now that Han's dead. Now they'll focus on Luke being willing to train Rey to take him down

There's tons of really great CGI throughout the film, but there's more bad CGI than just Snoke.

Snoke for me was the only bad CGI that stuck out. I do think Abrams' waffling on the look did play a huge factor. Perhaps Lucasfilm should've hired Weta to do the Snoke shots. They did an amazing job on Smaug, even after Peter Jackson changed the look close to the film's release.

It's too late to go into Han and Ren's backstory now that Han's dead. Now they'll focus on Luke being willing to train Rey to take him down

Well, we do still have Leia....

Other bad CGI:

-CGI Rey thrown at a tree by Ren

-CGI Falcon busting through snow-covered trees on the Starkiller

-ground collapsing during end saber battles

Yes, overall, the CGI was very good. And the practical effects were spectacular

Another way he was mis-cast is that he's too old! They should have cast an actor in his early twenties like they did for Rey.

Depends on who's kid Rey is..

30 years between Jedi and TFA, I could see Luke (if Rey turned out the be his daughter) waiting longer to get married and have a kid than Han.

Adam Driver looks like he's 35, though!

Looking it up, I see he's 32, so was 31 when filmed... but he LOOKS like a mid-thirties guy, not a twenty-something guy.

I feel like they were trying to stuff down the "tragic" father-son dynamic down our throats through the almost cringeworthy exposition between Fisher and Ford. Too bad all those scenes felt like both actors thought what they were spewing out was bs.

Depends on who's kid Rey is..

30 years between Jedi and TFA, I could see Luke (if Rey turned out the be his daughter) waiting longer to get married and have a kid than Han.

I really hope not! For once, it'd be nice if the Force just picked someone outside of the Skywalker family to bring balance again.

But somehow, I'm not sure that'll be the case...

But that's the thing. The film keeps hammering home that Luke is "the last Jedi".

If any random person in the galaxy can be born with Force-sensitivity at any random time, then that loses all meaning.

I mean, shit, Rey figured out how to Jedi Mind Trick AND Force Pull completely on her own with zero training whatsoever.

So what does "training" even matter? What is the difference between a "jedi" and "a person who can use the force to bend the law of physics" at this point?

But that's the thing. The film keeps hammering home that Luke is "the last Jedi".

If any random person in the galaxy can be born with Force-sensitivity at any random time, then that loses all meaning.

Can't the Force kind of pick people at random? It'd be cooler that way. Why does everyone in the damn galaxy have to be related to each other?!

I mean, shit, Rey figured out how to Jedi Mind Trick AND Force Pull completely on her own with zero training whatsoever.

So what does "training" even matter? What is the difference between a "jedi" and "a person who can use the force to bend the law of physics" at this point?

Yes. I thought that was strange too. I mean using the Force to move things at first is fine. But mind trick powers seemed just a bit too much for someone who literally just learnt they could use the Force the day before...

Can't the Force kind of pick people at random?

Does the Force actually pick anyone?

If the force can randomly pick people, then why is finding Luke so important?

I'm guessing they didn't know there was another Force-sensitive one? And they needed his guidance? Plus he is the last truly trained Jedi master.

Can't the Force kind of pick people at random?

Does the Force actually pick anyone?

I figured its a whole natural selection/evolution type thing. Which means it doesn't always have to be hereditary!

Maybe that's why they had one line of dialogue mention that Luke found "the first Jedi temple", or something like that. Maybe he has finally learned more than what Yoda was able to teach him in such a short time, and we'll see cool Force powers in Episode 8 we've never seen in the first 7?

That could be it. I'm sure we'll see more new Jedi abilities in E8 that we've never seen in the past films.

I hope so, that'd be really cool and interesting!

I quite enjoyed the "style" of the lightsaber fights in this movie. Raw and un-choreographed, because the good guys had no training and Ren was bleeding from his hip. They felt different from both the OT saber fights and the PT saber fights!

But its a shame that JJ had the saber fights edited with such quick cuts, it made it hard to follow what was going on at times.

Are there any shots in the old trailers that didn't make the final cut of the film?

Are there any shots in the old trailers that didn't make the final cut of the film?

Yeah, quite a few actually.

In the first teaser: 00:39-00:40, 00:49

In the second teaser: 00:52, 01:07 (I think), 01:21

In the trailer: 01:29, 01:43 (I think)

Plus there were a few more shots that appeared in TV spots that I noticed were missing in the film.

Wow, some of those are surprising!

That famous shot of Finn and Poe with the camera rotating around them really wasn't in the film?

There's a scene taking place in the same location, with Finn and Poe meeting there and hugging. But that moment with that intense look: not there!

About that: I paid close attention when that scene came on tonight, and I am pretty sure it was the exact same shot as in the old trailer!

Was the shot of Rey crying from 1:45 of the third video above in the final film? I don't recall it!

Wait, maybe it was during / after her vision?

Gotcha.

Interesting how many other shots from the old trailers were not in the film (BB cataloged them in a post quoted above)

By the way, I couldn't be happier that I missed everything the last two months. Made the experience completely fresh. I hadn't even heard the characters speak. Even little moments that are in the trailer (which I watched just now, after the movie), such as seeing Poe and Finn reunite. That's a little moment, but it's still something that I'm glad I didn't see. Made the impact even greater in my viewing experience when it happened.

Honestly, I think the relationship between Han and his son was developed well enough, and intentionally, through the bits of dialogue pertaining to their history as well as the overall acting, in place of drawn out exposition or, worse, the dreaded flashback, which is not a Star Wars staple.

There was a lot of story to cover and I felt the emotional pull during that final moment between them. The conflict and sadness was prevalent in the way Adam Driver played it, an actor I'm completely unfamiliar with.