Jaw 2 : Movie & Score / Your opinion

WilliamHorne97

Since I first saw jaws 2 when I was 11 I've always enjoyed it more than the original. Maybe it's because the story flows faster and we get more shark. I even prefer the second movies score to the first's. Jaws 2 score sounds a lot more adventurous, this could be the fact that the movie centers around a group of teenagers who spend their free time racing their boats on the ocean waves. The stand out moments for me are the beginning of the score, where we get a amazing piece titled 'Finding the orca'. The harp plays a beautiful motif that sounds mysterious and almost chilling, which really suits the setting of the deep ocean. It then transforms into a much darker tone until we get to the classic Jaws theme. I don't remember much else of the score but the music that plays in the town scenes with all the tourists is great and that one scene where we get the prospective of the sharks fin, as the camera pans up to the boats in the distances is chilling. I'd like to know how you guys feel about this movie/score. Very underrated in my opinion.

The movie is the epitome of mediocre cash-in but technically competent (it needed JAWS 3D to catapult it into MST spheres), the score has wonderful moments but relies on too many 1-minute shark attack stingers. The splendid underwater cues and the americana hymn of the end title are its real standouts.

6 hours ago, publicist said:

The movie is the epitome of mediocre cash-in but technically competent (it needed JAWS 3D to catapult it into MST spheres), the score has wonderful moments but relies on too many 1-minute shark attack stingers. The splendid underwater cues and the americana hymn of the end title are its real standouts.

Thank you for your opinion :)

As for the movie itself, I think it is an extremely well-made bad movie, if that makes sense. Meaning that, I think the plot is on the ridiculous side, but the movie's craftmanship is excellent. Jeanot Schwarc filmed the shark scenes pretty spectacularly, and I enjoyed his choice to show the shark alot more. He indicated that it would be foolhardy to re-hash the first film's strategy (forced by technical issues) of NOT showing the shark as much, since it was used to such grand effect the first time around. The music-- I think it is a better listening experience outside of the film than the first score. I love and am continually impressed by the first score, but I feel it is most effective while it accompanies the footage. The score for the second film has variety, diversity, and some gloriously triumphant/uplifting moments that make for more pleasant listening experiences. 

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Never seen the film

Score is fun, but I listen to Jaws probably 20x more often

I would recommend you watch it :) It's not a masterpiece that's for sure, but its a fun watch. They're some really fun moments. 

20 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

Haven't seen the movie.  The score is good, but its no The Force Awakens.  

haha watch in when you got nothing else to do :P And yeah, though I only really like 2 themes and one motif of the force awakens. 

47 minutes ago, publicist said:

There's the finale that may be an early example of a great blockbuster finish.

2a28b0757d5ab5788514fb78f95f44a3.jpg

The scene with Brody in the dingy and the massive fin coming towards him is scary and amazing at the same time.

Personally, I liked Jaws better when I hadn't watched the sequels. Jaws 2 isn't too bad, certainly the best of the bunch and benefits from the Williams score but the film is lacking. The best scene is Brody's rant at the meeting, about not going through the hell of another shark again. I liked the idea of the sequel being about the Indianapolis.

The sequel is completely unnecessary and is more or less a rehashing of a very basic premise that was done artfully with Jaws.  That being said, the movie is well made and watchable for at least a single viewing.  The score is great, and in many ways the better OST listening experience.

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

The sequel is completely unnecessary and is more or less a rehashing of a very basic premise that was done artfully with Jaws.  That being said, the movie is well made and watchable for at least a single viewing.  The score is great, and in many ways the better OST listening experience.

I feel like Jaws 2 is a lot scarier then Jaws. In the third act Jaws turns into a adventure movie in a way. Quint,Brody and Hooper going to hunt the shark, the music becomes a lot more light-hearted. In Jaws 2 the kids are stuck in the middle of the ocean on boats that the shark could eat in one bite. It's not a masterpiece but its fun none the less :)

That's pretty accurate.  After all, Williams described Jaws as a pirate movie!  Jaws 2 in the third act is more like a horror movie.  That scene of Brody holding the cable with that huge shark darting toward camera is pretty terrifying (at least it seemed that way when I was a kid!)

That scene still to this day impresses me. The shark looks huge! And in some scenes looks pretty real. The shark scenes in jaws 2 are way better in my opinion then the first. Apart from the scene in the first movie where the guy gets pulled under his boat and you see the shark underneath him, that scene looked so real and terrifying