What do you think of Williams's non film work?

karelm

What do you think of Williams's non film work?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. For those of you who like concert music, what do you think of Williams's concert music?

• Never heard it
    • His ceremonial pieces are good but longer works are not my thing
    • I like/love it and he should be more welcome in the concert hall
    • He shouldn't quit his day job as an expert film composer
    • It is pastiche, trivial and lightweight and has no home in the sacred concert halls (I hate it)
  2. 2. Do you like concert music?

• No
    • Somewhat
    • Yes

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I know, but in the scheme of things -- and in terms of concert hall accolades -- can he really compare to Williams and Goldenthal?

Yes, I believe he can.  I would not have mentioned him otherwise.  He has received commissions from many major orchestras and from several different nations!

Although I have heard several of John Williams's Olympic / celebratory pieces in concerts devoted to his film work, it is still extremely rare for a major orchestra in this country to perform any of his concerti, sadly.  I saw Williams conduct the LSO in his tuba concerto in 1996 or 1998 but I genuinely do not know if any of the major orchestras in the UK has performed any of the others in a live concert since.

In terms of concert music by 'film' composers, I dare say that the only piece performed with any frequency by major orchestras in the UK is Korngold's violin concerto.

• 4 weeks later...

The Oboe Concerto.

The more I listen to it, the more I love it.

I recently added it on a playlist, right in context with some other works... after Indiana Jones and the KOCS and Air and Simple gift, and just before War Horse and Lincoln.

Issued on an EP... this works is often forgotten... It just need a context for people to listen to it.

I love it.

On 2/5/2016 at 4:50 AM, Omen II said:

I saw Williams conduct the LSO in his tuba concerto in 1996 or 1998

It was 1998^

johnwilliams1998.jpg

That was his last visit to Europe, I think (at least as far as concerts are concerned). Hard to believe it's 18 years ago.

His last visit to Europe was 2005 for the Revenge of the Sith recording sessions with the LSO.

On 28 January 2016 at 8:34 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I prefer some of his concert pieces (the substantial ones) to most of his film scores.  I'm not terribly keen on the celebratory pieces, they're just there, and ok.  I reckon Heartwood may be his finest work overall (cue incredulous gasps).

Stef, I assume this refers at least in part to me.  I don't think it'll ever have the prominence of his film career.  I just personally value a lot of it more than his film work.  Anyway, I, and others, only seem to really talk up his concert music when you chime in marginalizing it.  It can be more than just the trifle you seem to classify it as, despite not being as known as his scoring.

I think I've come across some on youtube, an oboe concerto maybe?

Actually a cursory search turns up quite a bit!  Here's something for the trombonist in you.

You won't get any incredulous gasps from me, dude: "Heartwood" is a stunning piece of work. It is the musical equivalent of mist. I like, very much, the Violin Concerto< but I prefer the 1983 Varese recording, to the "sexed-up" version.

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

You won't get any incredulous gasps from me, dude: "Heartwood" is a stunning piece of work. It is the musical equivalent of mist.

I like, very much, the Violin Concerto, but I prefer the 1983 Varese recording, to the "sexed-up" version.