Olivia de Havilland is 100 years old

In 1935, Olivia de Havilland starred in A Midsummer Night's Dream, the first film ever to have a score by Erich Wolfgang Korngold (adapted from Mendelssohn's stage music), along with Mickey Rooney as Puck. Later that same year, she was in Captain Blood, the first big Hollywood film starring Errol Flynn, and also the first to have an original Korngold score (plus some Liszt). Blood also featured Basil Rathbone was directed by Michael Curtiz, who went on to direct a total of 6 films featuring Korngold scores, including The Adventures of Robin Hood and Anthony Adverse, both also starring de Havilland. Flynn, Rathbone and de Havilland all featured in Robin Hood, along with Claude Raines, who also appeared in Anthony Adverse.

Korngold died in 1957. Flynn died in 1959. Curtiz died in 1962. Rains and Rathbone both died in 1967. Rooney died in 2014, at the impressive age of 93.

By now, Olivia de Havilland must have survived nearly everyone she's worked with, some of her most famous co-stars from some of her most famous films, which I have just listed, by half a decade. She turned 100 years old today.

John Williams also scored (sort of, since he probably only wrote one track) a film with her, namely THE SCREAMING WOMAN (second time within minutes I'm mentioning that obscure film today).

Always nice to see a live performance include the duel cue. Must be fiendishly difficult to perform at more or less the original tempo. I heard it in 2007 with Mauceri conducting the Vienna RSO. I attended the rehearsal, too; Mauceri had his laptop with him and used the rehearsal break to show the musicians the duel scene on DVD.

9 hours ago, Richard said:

Happy birthday, Liv!

I'll dig out my VHS copy of "The Swarm".

Whatever you say about the film, the score is (insert accolades, here).

12 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Always nice to see a live performance include the duel cue. Must be fiendishly difficult to perform at more or less the original tempo. I heard it in 2007 with Mauceri conducting the Vienna RSO. I attended the rehearsal, too; Mauceri had his laptop with him and used the rehearsal break to show the musicians the duel scene on DVD.

Not any more difficult than Goldsmith or Stravinsky, I reckon.

3 hours ago, Jilal said:

Not any more difficult than Goldsmith or Stravinsky, I reckon.

Or quite a lot of Williams stuff. But Korngold's film music often has a unusually fast pace, and his rhythm changes are perhaps (I imagine) more difficult to internalise due to their reliance on the film.

I expect they're all tricky enough to perform in any case. ;)

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Or quite a lot of Williams stuff. But Korngold's film music often has a unusually fast pace, and his rhythm changes are perhaps (I imagine) more difficult to internalise due to their reliance on the film.

I expect they're all tricky enough to perform in any case. ;)

It's quite interesting to notice Korngold's experimentalism in the fields of rhythm and harmony, particularly here and in his Symphony in F-sharp major. I'm convinced he was a Stravinsky fan.