Star Trek Beyond SPOILERS ALLOWED discussion thread

Jay

One thing I liked about this:  This movie was much closer to "Star Trek" than the two before it, and could have easily worked as a TNG film.  Like everyone here, still not sure about the motivations of Krall.  He could have been Tony Todd playing Jake Sisko lost in time for all I knew.

I dont plan on see this film again. Did the gray pilgrim like it or did he take the cowards way out like Robin Williams

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I dont plan on see this film again. Did the gray pilgrim like it or did he take the cowards way out like Robin Williams

It was fine.  I thought it was the best of the new films so far.  I don't feel the urge to see it again though.  It'll be something I leave on if it happens to be on TV.

I saw it yesternight while on a business trip in a boring city. Apart from the usual nuisances - weightless, silly action sequences that go on forever and make absolutely no claim to involve you in the fate of any character involved - the whole story with the villain seems to have been written by someone 8-10 years old, it's so scatterbrained. While not every writer can have the taste and erudition of Nicholas Meyer, a bit of intelligence and understanding of what makes drama tick isn't too much to ask for, no?

Didn't understand the photo stuff with the old crew. Isn't that the new crew? Or has fan service completely taken over now?

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Didn't understand the photo stuff with the old crew. Isn't that the new crew? Or has fan service completely taken over now?

Didn't you watch the previous films? Spock (Nimoy) went back in time and met his younger self (Quinto). So when Spock (Nimoy) died, he had his personal possessions sent to his younger self (Quinto). And in those possessions was a photograph of his beloved friends (his original crew.) 

The movie is underperforming at the box office. 69% drop in its second weekend earnings, a fate recently shared by...Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice! The only Star Trek film with a higher drop is...Star Trek: Nemesis, the biggest flop of them all! Holy shit!

It seems only superhero movies and cgi kids movies make huge money these days, barring the random surprises like Pitch Perfect 2 and Straight Outta Compton.