Return of the King Live To Projection Concert - Dublin, Ireland October 27 2013

Bilbo

Were they really still worrying about reel changes in 2003?

Why wouldnt they have been?

A lot of cinemas switched to digital projection from Attack of the Clones onward did they not? No need to worry about reel changes if that was the case.

I've read that a lot did but I could be wrong. :peepwall:

EDIT: A quick look online shows that the digital switch over took a bit more time than that. So yeah, there's a good chance that by 2003 they would still have been worrying about reel changes.

The LOTR trilogy was shot mostly on the older, deliberately soft Eastman EXR 200T 35mm film stock, which then went through 2K DI (digital Intermediate - where they do all the grading, digital diffusion and FX), then recorded and blown up back to a Super 35 IN (internegative) and IP (interpositive) for old school projection.

The LOTR trilogy was shot mostly on the older, deliberately soft Eastman EXR 200T 35mm film stock, which then went through 2K DI (digital Intermediate - where they do all the grading, digital diffusion and FX), then recorded and blown up back to a Super 35 IN (internegative) and IP (interpositive) for old school projection.

Those were the days! The good old days!

Before PJ adapted Pixar as a role model for colour grading.

Yeap. As unearthly as Rivendell looks in AUJ it has a wicked plastic sheen to it. And it is not the only place. Colour grading is not the only culprit but rather the amount of CG put in place of real sets in actual forest.

:worship: Pixar

That explains it all...

Did AUJ suffer from the dreaded teal-orange juxtaposition like so many other movies these days? I've only seen the movie once back in December and can't recall if it did.

There are some moments where it does, yes.

In images, it looks great. It's when it starts to move where the problem begins.

I have been watching other movies in HD and find that some of their "movie magic sheen" is lost with the sharp image that turns them closer to a TV-show played in a studio or a documentary or a *shudder^* a reality show rather than having a very filmic effect. In the AUJ 48fps in some of the close ups the movements became hysterically funny because they speed up almost as if in fast forwarding. Again not a colour grading issue but rather related to how sharp the image and how fast the 48 fps is.

In images, it looks great. It's when it starts to move where the problem begins.

Good job Rivendell is very architectural and can't move!

I meant in moving camera shots.

Yes, we should all go back to VHS and DVD because movies look like movies there.

Rubbish!

I am rather saying that my eye has not gotten used to the HD look yet (I do not own a HD TV) and so every time I see HD material it looks a bit off to me. AUJ felt similarly off when I saw it in the theater (both in 2D and 3D). Maybe I have become more accustomed to it by now.

I have been watching other movies in HD and find that some of their "movie magic sheen" is lost with the sharp image that turns them closer to a TV-show played in a studio or a documentary or a *shudder^* a reality show rather than having a very filmic effect. In the AUJ 48fps in some of the close ups the movements became hysterically funny because they speed up almost as if in fast forwarding. Again not a colour grading issue but rather related to how sharp the image and how fast the 48 fps is.

It's the exact same speed isn't it? I didn't really notice speeding up, it just looked a little odd because everything was so much smoother.

It looks very odd even though it is in that same speed. Annoyingly sped up movement.

I was at a friend's house last night, and she has one of those TVs with a higher "scan" rate or whatever. The result is essentially the same as 48fps in film. An episode of Modern Family looks as though it were a home movie you shot standing behind Ed O'Neil with a handheld camera.

It's not a matter of "progress" or "getting used to it." It's a fundamental aesthetic problem. It looks too real. You might say that that's the point, to make things more immersive, and yet audiences for many decades have had no issue being immersed by traditional filming techniques. However paradoxical it is, one of the linchpins of immersion and cinema magic is to present things through that flat, dreamy lens we're all so familiar with. I don't think 48fps will last.

Just compare AUJ Rivendell to FOTR Rivendell, and you'll what I mean.

FOTR Rivendell is in Autumn, AUJ Rivendell is in summer. both physically and metaphorically.

Dwarves-Bilbo-and-Gandalf-ready-to-leave

I like this picture though. It looks beautiful to me.

The Goblintown sequence had plenty of that teal vs. orange thing going on.