Return of the King Live To Projection Concert - Dublin, Ireland October 27 2013

Bilbo

I went to live performance of FOTR, it was packed IIRC.

BTW someone record the Choir in The Lighting of the Beacons/Ride of the Rohirrim that was mentioned a while back ;) along with the unused cue as Legolas and Aragorn talk at night outside the Meduseld. ;)

I went to live performance of FOTR, it was packed IIRC.

BTW someone record the Choir in The Lighting of the Beacons/Ride of the Rohirrim that was mentioned a while back ;) along with the unused cue as Legolas and Aragorn talk at night outside the Meduseld. ;)

Yeah you don't need but an extendable mic-arm with good wide capturing range of all the sections of the orchestra. Just slowly extend it from the booth you are in and over the orchestra and you will capture that full bodied sound we demand. ;)

Two Android's in the left and right pocket is all that is needed, I am not too picky!

Where are your standards man?!!!

The concert was terrific and indeed there are some additions here and there - not so much new pieces, but rather augmentations to already existing material. For example, there was a chorus over the Hobbit theme when they get the big bow at the end, or some other choral fragments for the dead army and stuff like that. They added more stuff than I anticipated and was indeed a nice surprise, for a film music fan. But... I'm not sure if this film needs all that much music, they were playing pretty much through the whole thing and that is a lot. The orchestra gave a very strong performance. Overall, extremely entertaining. Loved it.

But, of course, the audience walking out as soon as end credits roll starts. Facepalm indeed.

Hopefully all this media weather circus won't prevent me from coming back home tomorrow morning...

Karol

Can't remember her name, but it wasn't Kathryn Lusk. The song was the weakest part of her performance, but that's understandable, given how hard it must be to channel Annie Lennox.

Karol

Assuming there will be one. ;)

Forgot to add I was really surprised to hear chorus singing the seduction theme when Frodo turns and also to hear them sing Nature's Reclamation when Theoden and company leave Edoras.

And of the most impressive sequence has to be the whole Shelob sequence. The orchestra really nailed this one and it all made me wish Shore tackled an old school horror film once again. This type of material really flies (pun intended).

Because I was sitting quite close to stage I could see the interaction between the conductor and orchestra. They were really having a good time. :)

Karol

Crocodile has pretty much summed up my thoughts on it. I thought the orchestra sounded much better than last year's Two Towers (not that there was much wrong then) but they seemed a little tighter last night. The few new bits (Aragorn and Legolas talking stands out), The two big statements of the Gondor theme, Nature's Reclamation, the Ride of the Rohirrim were all great fun :)

The Seduction of the Ring theme is always great to hear. My only problem with those films is they cut out many of it's appearances. The sound effects they replaced them with were cool but I'd prefer the music.

I went out to Newbridge before the concert and saw their prop display. That was a nice little treat. :)

523566_10201627821331029_1243444842_n.jp

560799_10201627791050272_816781397_n.jpg

Speaking of that Aragorn/Legolas (whenever I see this name I can't but think of Lego Legolas' legless Lass meme) conversation, is it just me or is this piece absent on CR?

Karol

Speaking of that Aragorn/Legolas (whenever I see this name I can't but think of Lego Legolas' legless Lass meme) conversation, is it just me or is this piece absent on CR?

Karol

Another piece written but not recorded for the film perhaps?

I've looked into the book and there is no mention of that scene being scored. So it must be an addition. I mean "the eye of the enemy is moving" scene.

Karol

Well then that must be one of those additions, written but not recorded as the CRs contain most significant unused but recorded sections.

There is also some music shifted around during the Isengard scenes, namely the piece for the finding of the Palantír. I can't remember exactly anymore how it played out though.

I've looked into the book and there is no mention of that scene being scored. So it must be an addition. I mean "the eye of the enemy is moving" scene.

Karol

This was recorded.

It's not that interesting! If I remember correctly it's a little variation on the 'Heroics of Aragorn' that descends into suspenseful string material, leading directly into The Palantir (which also has additional material in the live performances that isn't on the CR).

I suspect that it never made the theatrical cut as it's rather overblown and there's a reel change at that point.

Were they really still worrying about reel changes in 2003?

Yes. It's noticeable in all the LOTR EEs as there are a number of compositional changes to accommodate them - the end of Return to Edoras and 1:45-1:47 of Grace of Undomiel for example. Compare the latter with the same spot in the OST Twilight and Shadow and the L2P performance.

Odd that this seems to have been an issue for Wingnut as George Lucas really didn't care for Attack of the Clones, which has music running continuously over *every* reel change (unlike The Phantom Menace).

It's not that interesting! If I remember correctly it's a little variation on the 'Heroics of Aragorn' that descends into suspenseful string material, leading directly into The Palantir (which also has additional material in the live performances that isn't on the CR).

I suspect that it never made the theatrical cut as it's rather overblown and there's a reel change at that point.

Heroics of Aragorn, that's right. I liked that version, but, as you say, it's probably a bit too much for this scene.

By, the way, I wanted to ask about the Minas Morgul scene where Frodo is drawn towards the citadel. There was something different about this music as well... not sure that's the version I heard on CR... didn't sound like it, anyway.

Karol

It's the same as on the CR if I remember correctly, unless something has been tweaked since the last time I saw it live. The synchronisation of it surprised me the first time I saw it performed as it's such a big choral cue for quite a small and psychological thing - you can see why it was dropped from the final mix.

It sounded granded. Might have been the performance, though.

But the actual scene when Frodo turns is definitely different, because not only you hear all three Ring themes, but chorus as well.

Karol

Yes. It's noticeable in all the LOTR EEs as there are a number of compositional changes to accommodate them - the end of Return to Edoras and 1:45-1:47 of Grace of Undomiel for example. Compare the latter with the same spot in the OST Twilight and Shadow and the L2P performance.

Odd that this seems to have been an issue for Wingnut as George Lucas really didn't care for Attack of the Clones, which has music running continuously over *every* reel change (unlike The Phantom Menace).

I know the EEs have ended up being shown theatrically several times, but since their first release was on DVD, how would reels factor in?

On 10/28/2013 at 4:56 PM, Smeltington said:

I know the EEs have ended up being shown theatrically several times, but since their first release was on DVD, how would reels factor in?

That's what I was wondering...

Though it must be said that I have seen FOTR EE and TTT EE projected on 35mm, in 2003.

In 2012 I saw all three EEs projected digitally.

Because, like Jackson was never tired of pointing out, the EEs are the movies how they were intended to be watched, and were therefor certainly treated like a normal movie would be treated, with special effects, cutting, music and so on, so reel changes were also considered.

The LotR EEs were treated like actual cinematic releases. AUJ EE on the other hand was treated like any other DVD-exclusive extended movie. Pity.

What is a reel change? I'm guessing it is a cut between scenes but why would they worry about them for film music?

It's not just a cut between scenes. Traditional movies don't just come on one giant movie reel, but several of those. In the cinema, during the ongoing movie, one reel needs to transit to the next, sometimes causing slight "bumps" in the picture and/or audio. If a composer lays an ongoing musical piece over a reel change, it will be noticed. It's not pretty on the ears.

Its kind of like a layer break on a dual layer DVD

Forgot to add I was really surprised to hear chorus singing the seduction theme when Frodo turns\ :)

Karol

Are you talking about Mount Doom/Sammath Naur? the Choir is in the CR track, just mixed REAL low, it is presented isolated, on the Aragorn Vs. Sauron animatic.

Well, I meant the moment when you here all three themes converge and Frodo is standing and looking at the Ring. Before the other big choral thing starts.

Karfol

Like the beautiful boy choir singing the Hymn chords when Frodo wanders through Bag End in RotK. The choir is a bit low on the CRs in general.

I listened to the OST of Fellowship a few days ago, and itereally a noticeably different mix.

Yup. For 6 years of owning the set I've never heard that underneath and even now, when you tell me all this, it's just... kind of there. But not really.

Not so with live to projection performances. Now that is where you can actually hear it.

Would have been awesome if they used that, even as an a capella piece. Would have been awesome in the film.

Karol

Wow Faleel, that bit sounds awesome! It's a shame I could never really hear it on the CRs. I must go to one of these Live to Projection concerts!

Wow Faleel, that bit sounds awesome! It's a shame I could never really hear it on the CRs. I must go to one of these Live to Projection concerts!

Yes you should! They're amazing!

I'm really disappointed I missed Fellowship having seen the other two :(

Well I would certainly go, if any of them bothered to play in Toronto or other Canadian cities anymore. :(