Return of the King Live To Projection Concert - Dublin, Ireland October 27 2013

Bilbo

Why weren't the microedits removed from the OST version of "Shadow of the Past" or "Khazad-Dum"? Why was the choir removed for the wraith music at Amon Hen? Why was the longer seduction theme at Amon Hen cut short? Why wasn't the original music restored for Gandalf telling Frodo of the Ring's origins (Footsteps of Doom) instead of the tracked Gollum/History theme? Why does the original, expanded Evil Times statement for Gandalf on top of Orthanc not appear on the CR? Why was the choir removed for the Wraiths twice?

Why was so little of the available music restored for Fellowship, while Two Towers and Return of the King feature several major and notable ones?

There really is no answer to that, you'd have to ask Howard.

It's not a matter of "progress" or "getting used to it." It's a fundamental aesthetic problem. It looks too real. You might say that that's the point, to make things more immersive, and yet audiences for many decades have had no issue being immersed by traditional filming techniques. However paradoxical it is, one of the linchpins of immersion and cinema magic is to present things through that flat, dreamy lens we're all so familiar with. I don't think 48fps will last.

I hope it lasts. I've been dissatisfied with jerky 24fps film for years, longer than 3D has been popular. I wish Gravity had been done at 48fps.

The FOTR CR was basically the music stem of the EE film, with some of the tracking and dropped music undone, but not nearly all.

Starting with the TTT CR they seemed to go back to the full session cues almost all the time. Too bad they'll likely never revisit FOTR.

Yes, it was always a very bad idea to use the word "complete" in any part of the name for these releases, as they were designed from the get-go to not be.

Well, TTT and ROTK feature the full recordings of the cues that are supposed to be in the film, so technically, the used recordings are complete. FoTR uses tracked music and odd edits that were kept in place. Big difference IMO. Had they gone down the same path with TTT and ROTK, we'd have the tracked Nature theme for Theoden and the film edit of the Destruction of Mordor (given that the Live to Projection concerts do feature the edit job, I consider myself very lucky to have this original recording on the CR).

I just don't get why the process on FOTR wasn't the same as on TTT or ROTK.

At least it contains neither the word "ultimate" nor a "contains every note" information.

Karol

I think "complete recordings" is pretty self-explanatory as well.

But, hey, it's Shore's music, and as he probably supervised the project in detail, he must have had his reasons.

Well, TTT and ROTK feature the full recordings of the cues that are supposed to be in the film, so technically, the used recordings are complete. FoTR uses tracked music and odd edits that were kept in place. Big difference IMO. Had they gone down the same path with TTT and ROTK, we'd have the tracked Nature theme for Theoden and the film edit of the Destruction of Mordor (given that the Live to Projection concerts do feature the edit job, I consider myself very lucky to have this original recording on the CR).

I just don't get why the process on FOTR wasn't the same as on TTT or ROTK.

Because Shore considered those revisions done in FotR acceptable to his vision of the music, striking balance between presenting the composer's vision and servicing fans, both fanatic and more casual. And remember that this was also a learning curve for Shore, doing these massive sets.

I am enormously grateful that the CRs were done. And the Rarities. And the Symphony. The 0.5% that I consider "off" will never, ever, drag down the other 99.5% that are perfect.

+1

Dwarves-Bilbo-and-Gandalf-ready-to-leave

I like this picture though. It looks beautiful to me.

The Goblintown sequence had plenty of that teal vs. orange thing going on.

But Goblin town is underground and lit by torches so surely it makes sense there?

So were the Uruk-Hai spawning scenes in FELLOWSHIP, yet they don't have the same digital look. It's the mushy way highlights fade into shadows that's the giveaway, mainly to the fact that digital cameras can shoot in lower lit settings. The interior scenes in the LOTR trilogy has that more contrasty and painterly studio 'lit' look that was a side-effect of the lighting required for film.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it me or the elven statues look like they are going to fall in the chasm?

I think i see a pedestal of rock below them, but it is strangely composited :/

I agree. It is also the lighting which leaves them obscured in a way that makes it look like those statues stand half in mid-air.

Is it me or the elven statues look like they are going to fall in the chasm?

I think i see a pedestal of rock below them, but it is strangely composited :/

I agree. It is also the lighting which leaves them obscured in a way that makes it look like those statues stand half in mid-air.

yep, it's clear the 'setting sun' light is artificial. too dim.

• 1 year later...

Yea I have no idea why that would happen to one user but not others. Weird. Kind of like Quint's avatar problem.

Sounds like a mystery story.

Sherlock Holmes and the Adventure Of The Quint Avatar Problem

Should be something more dashing like Sherlock Holmes and the Seven Avatars of Lord Quintus.

I guess it only affects those who use their smart phones to post via tapatalk.

They (the tapatalk people, not the users here) need to get with the times.

I use Tapatalk. I uninstalled it last week and tried to just use the mobile forum in Chrome, but it felt wrong. I didn't like the mobile interface. I could list my reasons later if you need them.

So now that I'm back to using Tapatalk, I have not marked all posts as having been read. In the view of Unread topics, which encompasses all forums, even Tolkien Central and the Review forum, the oldest unread topic I see is Elliot watches the prequels from 12/16/14. I don't see posts from 2003 or 2013 before that.

Perhaps it's because, in months past, I did check the mark all posts read button, either deliberately or fat finger. So the super old posts stayed read.

Indeed if I navigate directly to the Tolkien Central, a blue line appears next to a handful of unread topics. The ones from 2014, 2012, and older have no line because they are read.

Whenever I use my iPhone to access JWFan, it directs me to an advertisement asking if you wanna download Tapatalk, but I just decline and go straight ahead to JWFan.

https://tapatalk.com/

Long story short: Their app makes it easier for you to monitor your posts on your iPhone when you're not at a desktop.

Because due to all these posts having been moved to a new forum the mobile site seems to think I last viewed them in 2013.

It's very annoying.

Perhaps something was merged? Whenever Jay merges two threads, I spend an hour reading stuff before I realise I've read it before...