What Live To Projection concerts have you seen and not seen?

Jay

On 16/03/2024 at 4:43 PM, crocodile said:

Intermission time. Loving it.

20240316_190018.jpg

Karol 

Me too 😁

I just posted on doug adams twitter post about it, because I forgot to mention it here, but did you notice all the added music? I didn't remember seeing that they did that. I said to him - 

"I attended and noticed more music than I remember. I only ever watch the extended, so I may be misremembering the theatrical, but I don't remember music as Shelob stalks Frodo, or the Trolls break through Minas Tirith gate. And I don't remember choir for 'you bow to no one. Also music added as Smeagol strangles Deagol. Choir added heavily to Nature's Reclamation as the Rohirrim ride out of Edoras. And a lot louder choir building to Gandalf's 'far green country' speech. Some changes were nice, but I prefer no music in the Shelob stalking frodo and the trolls breaking into minas tirith. It adds more suspense and shock and fear. The added music makes it less impactful, in my opinion.'

20240316_125752.jpg

1 minute ago, leeallen01 said:

Me too 😁

I just posted on doug adams twitter post about it, because I forgot to mention it here, but did you notice all the added music? I didn't remember seeing that they did that. I said to him - 

"I attended and noticed more music than I remember. I only ever watch the extended, so I may be misremembering the theatrical, but I don't remember music as Shelob stalks Frodo, or the Trolls break through Minas Tirith gate. And I don't remember choir for 'you bow to no one. Also music added as Smeagol strangles Deagol. Choir added heavily to Nature's Reclamation as the Rohirrim ride out of Edoras. And a lot louder choir building to Gandalf's 'far green country' speech. Some changes were nice, but I prefer no music in the Shelob stalking frodo and the trolls breaking into minas tirith. It adds more suspense and shock and fear. The added music makes it less impactful, in my opinion.'

20240316_125752.jpg

All the added music has been known for awhile now (I believe @Jim Ware posted something about it)

Well, you can get that shock and fear at home.

;)

For some reason, I never found out they made those changes. I understand putting music back in that was lost due to cuts and changes, but sometimes the absence of music is more effective for the music that follows.

9 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

For some reason, I never found out they made those changes. I understand putting music back in that was lost due to cuts and changes, but sometimes the absence of music is more effective for the music that follows.

Yeah, but you aren't watching it for the film, so who cares?

14 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

At Symphony Hall now!  Looking forward to the performance!

Just got back from the concert!

IMG_0919.JPG

My brother and I attended the show together.

Before the show, I was wondering how the various bits of the Main Title were going to be handled, particularly with the strings on the Third Sentence.  (The Film Version has the violins play low for the first phrase of the Third Sentence before going an octave up for the second phrase, while the early ANH takes and all recordings made after the original sessions have the strings start on the higher register for the first phrase)

What the strings here did was start in the lower register, but go to the higher octave a whole bar before the original Film Version did, something like this:

No subsequent forceful timpani after this (consistent with post-'77 performances, but inaccurate to the ANH sessions), and I think they did the Strong Tatooine Reveal as well.

At first, I clapped silently at the end of every cue, but after I clapped a little louder at the end of Binary Sunset (with Owen looking for Luke) my brother told me to stop, since nobody else was doing it.  I did audibly clap at the end of TIE Fighter Attack, though; that one deserved it.  My brother and I were the only ones clapping at that.

During the intermission, I got to hear one of the musicians have a conversation with two of the audience members.  The musician shared a story about how the show handled the Cantina Band cues.  He said they used to perform them live, but it wound up getting too difficult for the clarinetist to perform live alongside the rest of the score, and hiring a separate band to do them for a film that only had two source cues in the middle would be too expensive.  This show played the original Cantina Band cues through the speakers.

I guess I probably should've expected it, but I was a little disappointed when they didn't perform the Dianoga music or the first part of the Trash Compactor music.

Refreshingly, most of the audience stayed during the whole credits.  At the very end, we clapped for each section of the orchestra.  The strings got the loudest applause, and I gotta say they deserved it tonight.

8 hours ago, Faleel said:

Yeah, but you aren't watching it for the film, so who cares?

Don't worry, I understood your incredibly nuanced reference.

9 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Refreshingly, most of the audience stayed during the whole credits. 

My one experience (and yes, I've said this before) was an audience that was treating it far more like a film and less like a concert. Has anyone experienced a performance that felt very different to this?

There is a performance of Raiders this summer that I might get lawn seats for just because a) it could be a nice night and b) the songs (hee hee hee) that I want to hear most, Map Room Dawn, Dessert Chase, and Miracle of the Arc have little to no dialogue.

7 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Does anyone else live in Scotland?

Yes, about 5 and one half million people, or so

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes, about 5 and one half million people, or so

:pat:

Fun fact: you could fit the entire population of Scotland into London, and still have room for three million more people.

I mean: are there any JWfaners who happen to live in Scotland planning to go to this?

• 2 weeks later...

Raiders in May at the Royal Albert Hall with the LSO performing live is next up for me - though as it falls on a Bank Holiday weekend in the UK I'm in two minds about going, as London on a holiday weekend is not my idea of fun.

Home Alone in concert at the RAH was great fun and a perfect pre-Christmas film.  

The same weekend we went to The NIghtmare Before Christmas, which I've now seen a couple of times, and it's always brilliant, with John Mauceri conducting and lots of original cast members. I was meeting John backstage after the concert and got to meet Danny Elfman and Phoebe Bridgers - an amazing night.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2023 at 5:18 PM, Oozer said:

The Cleveland Orchestra will be doing this next summer at Blossom Music Center on June 29th and 30th. https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/attend/concerts-and-events/2425/blossom/raiders-of-the-lost-ark/

6 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I'm on the fence if I want to get lawn tickets. Should be a nice night if nothing else.

I stopped going to outdoor venues 6 years.  The last time I went, it was raining.  I had to wait outside in the rain for 30 minutes before the pravilion seating area of the outdoor venue would be opened.  By the time it did, I was soaked.  When the concert started, it was still raining--you can hear it hitting the wooden structure of the stage which made listening to the music distracting.