Rocky turns 40 today (November 21, 2016)

karelm

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/rocky-turns-40-talia-shire-on-her-screen-partnership-with-sylvester-stallone-and-creating-adrian-171233105.html

I remember Rocky in the theaters.  I remember my feelings were that this was a terribly boring movie for a kid.  But I also remember the emotional impact of the ending and the characters being so deep and interesting.  Though the series might have devolved into cliche, if you watch the original with virgin eyes, it is truly a masterpiece of story telling, character development, and effective scoring!   The music was so exciting and befitting the story plus the fact that Rocky did not win in the end but did transform into his true character in falling love with Adrien was so fantastic!  This is truly a very good film.  Happy 40th!  If any of you have a feeling of nostalgia, watch this film with 1970's eyes.  It is truly great.  Seriously, when was the last time you saw a film where the hero loses the match but wins the love of his life?  That is very deep and substantial film making with a great ending!  It deserves it's spot as one of the best films of the 70's!

On 11/22/2016 at 2:10 AM, karelm said:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/rocky-turns-40-talia-shire-on-her-screen-partnership-with-sylvester-stallone-and-creating-adrian-171233105.html

I remember Rocky in the theaters.  I remember my feelings were that this was a terribly boring movie for a kid.  But I also remember the emotional impact of the ending and the characters being so deep and interesting.  Though the series might have devolved into cliche, if you watch the original with virgin eyes, it is truly a masterpiece of story telling, character development, and effective scoring!   The music was so exciting and befitting the story plus the fact that Rocky did not win in the end but did transform into his true character in falling love with Adrien was so fantastic!  This is truly a very good film.  Happy 40th!  If any of you have a feeling of nostalgia, watch this film with 1970's eyes.  It is truly great.  Seriously, when was the last time you saw a film where the hero loses the match but wins the love of his life?  That is very deep and substantial film making with a great ending!  It deserves it's spot as one of the best films of the 70's!

Thanks, Karelm. Watched Rocky when it came out too, didn't find it boring though. One of my favorite films and characters, ever. Happy 40th!

The first film is a great and deservedly an iconic classic.

I got into the ROCKY films mostly around the time of film IV, circa the mid 80s -- on VHS. I was only a kid at the time, but really loved them.

While the Conti score is fine, it's not really something I play very often. The album is a bit....how shall I put it, "dusty" and uneven. The greatest score to me was unquestionably DiCola's fourth.

Seen all the films, and even attended a Broadway version a couple of years ago, but I haven't yet gotten to CREED.

The Rocky OST is very uneven. The climactic fight track is third on the album, leaving the rest of the album narrative quite murky. I can't remember the last time I listened to the whole thing. 

• 5 years later...
On 22/11/2016 at 2:10 AM, karelm said:

Seriously, when was the last time you saw a film where the hero loses the match but wins the love of his life?

Tin Cup?

I saw Rocky II before seeing Rocky and I was really thrilled by the fight at the end. Afterwards, when I saw the first Rocky I was kind of disappointed. If the first one didn't exist I would probably say the second one is better (sounds contradicting, but I mean count out what the second film just repeated from the first one).

And there's even an LTP concert of that.

Rocky - Live.jpg

Reading, PA on June 2, 2022

Rocky Live In Concert - Santander Arena & Performing Arts Center (santander-arena.com)

And the 'world premiere' - Philadelphia, PA on June 3, 2022

https://www.kimmelculturalcampus.org/events-and-tickets/202122/kcp/rocky-in-concert

• 1 year later...

I enjoyed the new Sly documentary on Netflix. I think it's worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Sly mentions the score I think at least once, but the doc is more about his life than Rocky, although of course Rocky and its sequels get discussed. From the Rambo franchise, I think just First Blood is discussed and Stallone's reasons for not wanting Rambo to die as he did in the novel. I hadn't heard his reasoning before, and I didn't know it was his idea and something he insisted on.