Five Best Williams Non-Film Works

I'd rank them this way:

1. Concerto for Cello and Orchestra. I picked this one for the First Mvt., "Theme and Cadenza", rather than "Blues", "Scherzo", or "Song".

2. Treesong. The first two movements of this piece are excellent. Both of them sound varies darkness and brightness. It's this kind of music that makes me want to explore classical more, rather than film scores.

3. Elegy for Cello and Orchestra. This is the kind of piece that proves Williams is one of the masters of art music from this era. "Elegy" has every qualification to be one of the classic classical pieces that will be remembered and preserved throughout the years. I don't think I'd say the same about its "parent" score, Seven Years in Tibet, but Williams revisiting the "Regaining a Son" theme and developing it into a full concert piece shouldn't disqualify it from star status. At the very least, it should be used in a Debeers (sp?) diamond commercial.

4. For New York (Variations on Themes of Leonard Bernstein). I've heard most of the original versions of the Bernstein themes that Williams modifies in this and I think Williams did a better job with them than Bernstein did in the originals. I heard "For NY" before I heard the originals, so that might have something to do with the way I listen to the original. Bernstein's "On the Town" theme sounds too clumsy in its own piece, but I love the way Williams weaved it into this hip, Latino, mamba-like "dance" that seems very Bernstein-ish. Somehow, in the midst of all the Bernsteinity, Johnny manages to put his own style in the writing. Simply amazing.

5. "Arts and Sports" from Unfinished Journey. This is a nice whimsical piece and unlike the other five movements of UJ, this seems to be the most original piece Williams wrote. "Immigration and Building"=Far and Away. "The Country at War"=the Stone scores. "Popular Entertainment"=Copland's Rodeo. "Civil Rights Mvt"=The Patriot (or vice versa, since The Patriot came out after UJ). "Flight and Tech."=Saving Private Ryan (at least the opening does--one time I thought F&T was a track from SPR). A&S is a nice nostalgic piece, conjuring images of the silent shorts of Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin in Jay Gatsby's world. I suppose in a way, this is rather Joplin-esque about as much as PE is Copland-esque. It's hard to pinpoint what I like about this movement of UJ, other than saying I like the whole thing--from beginning to end.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I don't listen to his non-film works as much as I should, but I do count all three of his Olympic themes as some of my favorite compositions of all time.

And I would count "Unfinished Journey" as one piece.

Jeff -- who will listen to his "Call of the Champions" CD on his road trip next week

1. Concerto for Cello and Orchestra

I have to say, that in my opinion, this is Williams very best work!

2s .The Five Sacred Trees & TreeSong

These two are tied. Really can't say wich i like the most

4. Violin Concerto

5. Song for World Peace

I put Elegy for Cello and Orchestra at the top. Beautiful piece. I would kill to get a copy of the part. Not really, but I want one. :-p

In no particular order

1) The hugely expressive Violin Concerto, especially the gorgeous middle movement. An incredibly personal work, though more difficult to get into than his other concertos.

2) Summon the Heros is probably his most expertly written, exciting and gripping Olympic Theme. Definitely the work of a master, though again, less accesible (IMHO) than his other three.

3) The American Collection theme is a hidden gem I found on Kazaa which simply sends shivers up my spine. So amazingly lyrical.

4) You gotta give it up for Five Sacred Trees. The second movement is awesome fun, and the writing for bassoon throughout is like nothing I've ever heard before!

5) I dont know why, but I like Heartwood better than the Cello Concerto. I think its highly expressive impressionistic quality (now if that is a paradox if I've ever seen one!) appeals to me.

at some point, I gotta listen to his Flute and Clarinet concertos, and his song cycle as well. Those have got to be re-released some time. The Trumpet Concerto/Essay for Strings cd that just came out is great!!!

I'd have to say that the Tuba Concerto, Heartwood, the Olympic pieces, Jubilee 350, The Mission, and American Collection are all honorable mentions.

For some odd reason, I got an MP3 of JW's tuba concerto that is performed by the BPops with him conducting. It's obvious from the hiss that it's an LP-conversion, but the tempo is MUCH more appropriate than the newly-released version conducted by Marc Easener. The BPops version is slightly faster and you can sense Williams flailing the wand. With Easener, you just don't get the same rush.

Heartwood is a fine piece and it's fine to listen to all the way through--for some reason, even though it's minimal orchestration, it's still entertaining from beginning to end.

I just found American Collection on the Classic Yo-Yo (Ma) CD. It makes me feel rich just listenin' to it! (BTW, the rest of the CD is pretty cool too--especially "Simple Gifts" with Yo-Yo and Allison Krauss' vocals).

For some odd reason, I got an MP3 of JW's tuba concerto that is performed by the BPops with him conducting.  It's obvious from the hiss that it's an LP-conversion, but the tempo is MUCH more appropriate than the newly-released version conducted by Marc Easener.  The BPops version is slightly faster and you can sense Williams flailing the wand.  With Easener, you just don't get the same rush.

The mp3 you got is not from lp, but taken from a tv broadcast. And the cd release from last year, was perfomed by Marc Easner and conducted by David Snell.

Miguel, who's using a diferent pc, and coulnd't log in.

I choose the violin concerto on Varese Sarabande. It's my only favourit.

Don't have trumpet concerto, tuba concerto, essay for strings. So i'm far from a completist. Should I own these? They are a bit hard to get in stores.

Hi Miguel

Could you tell me a little bit about the performance and sound quality off the Trumpet and Tuba concertos? I mean, I have never heard of these record labels before.

Thanks for your time

Alex

ASV Records, who released the Tuba Concertos is a aleading independent label from the UK. Thay have done many great recordings of classical reportoire. They have also released many old stuff, big band oriented.

The cd has a very good sound, and the performance of Williams work is very good too.

As for Donuement records, this is the only disc I know from them. They have otehr releases, but I've never heard them. But the Williams/Kaska disc, that features both the Trumpet Concerto and his earlier Essay for String is just great! A must, if I may say so. I also loved the Kevin kaska pieces, as they brought to my mind a lot the late Samuel Barber.

I can hardly count past 5 concert works by John Williams in my collection! ;)

FIVE SACRED TREES is my favorite and everything JW's ever written for cellos. But I am cello-hophead so this starts getting biased. And I am sure I will be devouring his HORN concerto. Well, I also cannot judge this objectively since I don't have Tuba and Trumpet Concerti (both released for labels I have troubles locating around here) and I could have liked them... who knows?

Happy, aliens-free day.

Roman.-)

Hi people,

In respond to Trumpeteer: Williams wrote five olympic pieces. Does anyone know where I can get the Winter games fanfare? I think from 1986. My favorite JW concert works:

1) The Olympic Spirit

2) Call of the Champions

3) Summon the Heroes

4) Violin Concerto

5) Song for World Peace

I've been doubting for a long time wheter or not to buy the Trumpet Concerto, but you have convinced me!

Williams wrote three Olympic Themes comissioned for games cerimonies: Olympic Fanfare and Theme, Summon the Heroes and Call of the Champions.

Williams also wrote We're Lokin' Good (1987) for the Special Olympics and the Winter Games Fanfare for the Alpine Ski Championship (1989). Both remain unrelesead, but the first one has showed up on a private bootleg.

Hard to say which one is my favourite, but the flute concerto is some of the most avantgardistic music Williams has ever written (and yes, that includes things like IMAGES and the atonal stuff from CLOSE ENCOUNTERS).

Ohhh, how I would love to hear his single symphony!!

My fave would probably have to be Concerto for Cello and Orchestra. I especially love "Theme and Cadenza" and "Blues". I expect the last two movements to grow on me more and more with time ("Scherzo" is almost there :|). And of course Elegy for Cello and Orchestra is great too. I'm really glad I bought the Yo-Yo Ma CD!

Just the other day I bought Treesong for $A13 ($US7) at this massive CD sale, but the time hasn't been right for me to listen to anything other than the Schindler's List pieces (which to be honest are a bit disappointing. I don't particular like the sound of this violin, which does not bode well ... :music: )

CYPHER

Just the other day I bought Treesong for $A13 ($US7) at this massive CD sale, but the time hasn't been right for me to listen to anything other than the Schindler's List pieces (which to be honest are a bit disappointing. I don't particular like the sound of this violin, which does not bode well ...  )  

CYPHER

This recording with Shaham is my favorite of the Schidler's list music.

Williams wrote three Olympic Themes comissioned for games cerimonies: Olympic Fanfare and Theme, Summon the Heroes and Call of the Champions.

Williams also wrote We're Lokin' Good (1987) for the Special Olympics and the Winter Games Fanfare for the Alpine Ski Championship (1989). Both remain unrelesead, but the first one has showed up on a private bootleg.

Then Williams wrote six themes for the Olympics. You forgot his best, The Olympic Spirit (1988) (which can be found on the Summon the Heroes/Sound of Glory cd).

You have that one?

MSM

Yes, I forgot. But i know it very well! I have both recordings of it (1988 and 1996). Not comissioned by the Olympic Cometee, but by NBC for the Seul 1988 Summer Olympics television broadcast.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason I had never made it past Track 2 on the crappy MP.3.com recording of the Clarinet concerto.I think the 3rd movement is excellent,I hope they release this in better form eventually.

K.M.

5. "Arts and Sports" from Unfinished Journey.  This is a nice whimsical piece and unlike the other five movements of UJ, this seems to be the most original piece Williams wrote.  "Immigration and Building"=Far and Away.  "The Country at War"=the Stone scores.  "Popular Entertainment"=Copland's Rodeo.  "Civil Rights Mvt"=The Patriot (or vice versa, since The Patriot came out after UJ).  "Flight and Tech."=Saving Private Ryan (at least the opening does--one time I thought F&T was a track from SPR).  A&S is a nice nostalgic piece, conjuring images of the silent shorts of Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin in Jay Gatsby's world.  I suppose in a way, this is rather Joplin-esque about as much as PE is Copland-esque.  It's hard to pinpoint what I like about this movement of UJ, other than saying I like the whole thing--from beginning to end.

I love the cue, too. Just a few notes: "Arts and Sports" shares a close kinship with "Jim's New Life" from Empire of the Sun, and Amistad preceded both "The Unfinished Journey" and The Patriot.

Whoops, that was supposed to say 'by me,' Falstaft. Still trying to get the hang of this new fangled message board.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before -- I've been away for awhile -- but you, you're Frank Lehman, aren't you? You've gotta be. Your writing style, your avatar, your Brown University status (if recall correctly), your 11 star rating for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ("I give Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade a whooping ten (yeah, I lowered it from an eleven--- don't ask").

If you're really Frank, I must say, welcome back. Several of us here have really missed your input the last few years. If you're not, my mistake, my apologies.

Hard to say which one is my favourite, but the flute concerto is some of the most avantgardistic music Williams has ever written (and yes, that includes things like IMAGES and the atonal stuff from CLOSE ENCOUNTERS).

Ohhh, how I would love to hear his single symphony!!

Actually, didn't he write a couple or so?

One!!!

The many time mentioned second one is in fact his Sinfonietta for Woodwinds. Even so, there are rumors he did begun work on a second symphony, shortly after the premiere of his first one, but he then took out of his catalogue of compositions the first symphony.

I just listened to the first two movements of "Concerto for Violin and Orchestra" from the Treesong CD last night and it was amazing. Given that it generally takes a bit longer for me to get into Williams non-film score work, I reckon this one is going to be a favourite pretty soon. :D

CYPHER