The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

People keep expecting Silksong to be in an Indie Direct for some reason.  That game is obviously anticipated enough that it would be featured in a "main" Direct.

I just hope it comes out this year

Apparently the Japanese version of today's Indie World has mostly completely different games

I really wonder if at this point Silksong is just a meme and nobody's gonna like whatever they get (and more controversial, Hollow Knight, while a great game, isn't worth this level of hype).

Hollow Knight is incredible.  Last night I always started a second playthrough

Nintendo Switch has now sold 107.65 Million Units Worldwide

1st party game sales

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 45.33M
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 38.64M
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 28.17M
  4. Breath of the Wild - 26.55M
  5. Pokemon Sword/Shield - 24.27M
  6. Super Mario Odyssey - 23.50M
  7. Super Mario Party - 17.78M
  8. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond / Pokémon Shining Pearl - 14.65M
  9. Pokemon Let’s GO - 14.53M
  10. Ring Fit Adventure - 14.09M
  11. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 13.31 million
  12. Splatoon 2 – 13.30 million
  13. Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 12.64 million
  14. Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 11.43 million
  15. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 9.43 million
  16. Mario Party Superstars – 6.88 million
  17. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 4.22 million
  18. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD – 3.91 million
  19. Metroid Dread – 2.90 million
  20. Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 2.65 million
  21. New Pokemon Snap – 2.40 million
  22. Mario Golf: Super Rush – 2.35 million
  23. Miitopia – 1.68 million
  24. Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain – 1.59 million
  25. WarioWare: Get It Together! – 1.27 million
  26. Game Builder Garage – 1.06 million

Fun factoid:

Breath of the Wild has sold 28.24 million copies if you combine Switch and Wii U together.

Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword have sold 27.91 million copies all together.

So Breath of the Wild has outsold all the previous mainline 3D entries COMBINED.

It's a rare thing when the NPD list of top selling Switch games in America is topped by a third party title.  Notably WB reports eShop sales to NPD and Nintendo does not for their own titles.

Also in terms of American hardware sales, "Lifetime unit sales of Nintendo Switch have now surpassed those of PlayStation 4, making it the 4th highest unit selling console in U.S. history, and the 6th highest unit selling video game hardware platform overall. In console it trails only PS2, Xbox 360 and Wii." source

I agree, I have a feeling Nintendo games would win the NPD charts more often than they do if eShop sales were included.  Maybe Mario Kart 8 would just be #1 every month though :lol:

I finally resumed playing Super Mario 3D World a couple nights ago, and rolled credits!

World 8 (err, World Bowser face?) was pretty cool.  Some tough platforming challenges, a fun desert themed level, a cool train car level, and underwater dungeon, a cool lava level with a new kind of rotating/falling block, all kinds of stuff.  There was one tough ghost house level that was all in the dark that frustrated me for a bit.

Once again, I couldn't enter the final level because it required 170 stars and I only had 150 something, so I had to go back to World 2 and re-enter a bunch of levels to get more stars.  I enjoyed this a lot, had just as much fun as seeing all new levels!  Some of the stuff I missed was so obvious, other stuff was a fun challenge to figure out where they could be! 

Once I got over 170  I went right to the final Bowser level, which was cool!  The first half was a bit annoying to get through but the second half where you have to climb the tower while copies of Cat Bowser keep trying to thwart you was a really nice challenge.

It was satisfying to beat the game and see the credits but I definitely want to both continue to get all the green stars I missed and find all the hidden worlds.  I doubt I'll do a full 100% run in terms of getting every star, stamp, and top of flagpole, but I do want to play every level I can

19 hours ago, Stu said:

I agree, I have a feeling Nintendo games would win the NPD charts more often than they do if eShop sales were included.  Maybe Mario Kart 8 would just be #1 every month though :lol:

It really makes you think. What we were so used to previously was Nintendo games being on an unpopular console, that you forget how mainstream their appeal is...but we're also dealing with a situation where the population is more than it was before. 

Switch is popular, but it was never the blowout hit that Wii was...but Switch has already outsold Wii. That's a population thing.

So then you look at something like the Playstation exclusives selling 20 million or more units. Like I said previously, I don't know anyone who liked Horizon...and not many more who bought it and played it. It still somehow sold 20 million copies. I think that's a population thing too. There are so many people playing games now that someone who plays can not know anyone who played a game and it still sells 20 million units.

So are companies like Sony and Microsoft leaving tons of money on the table by not having more mass appeal games? Halo as a shooter is great for Xbox, but it's not for everyone. Uncharted is a great game, or Last of Us, but Sony games are basically one genre and definitely not for everyone. 

Mario and Zelda are games anyone can enjoy, even the people who like the Xbox and Playstation type games. So where are the games that are as appealing and approachable as Nintendo's? 

• 3 weeks later...

I drifted away from Kirby when I got pulled into Jedi: Fallen Order, but I returned to Kirby over the past few weeks and played the crap out of it.  What a fantastic game!  This is certainly one of the best games in the series.  

• 4 weeks later...

Well here's everything they showed today..... no Hollow Knight 2 :(

https://www.polygon.com/23185421/nintendo-direct-mini-june-2022-partner-showcase-persona-monster-hunter-minecraft

I will eventually play Portal, Live a Live, and Mario + Rabbids 2

new Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope trailer

and 45 minute showcase

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Everything is better on Switch

Definitely not! The game plays night and day better on PC because of mouse controls. Maybe if Portal used a Wii Remote it would be comparable, but the joycons aren't up to the task.

• 2 weeks later...

The first one was cool. The second and seemingly the third are basically just more of the same. I wish Monolith would do something different already. Even Xenoblade X was different enough to be interesting compared to 2 or 3. 

Bayonetta 3 has a release date: October 28 of this year

Seems like instead of doing a July 1st-Party Direct, they are just announcing everything that would have been in it one day at a time?

Kirby yesterday, Bayo today... what's next?

If anybody's been thinking of picking up Xenoblade 1 for Switch, Best Buy currently is selling it for thirty five bucks

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-nintendo-switch/6352131.p?skuId=6352131

Bayonetta 1 in its own physical edition (it was previously only a digital download included in the case of the Bayonetta 2 physical edition) is also up for pre-order

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bayonetta-nintendo-switch-nintendo-switch-oled-model-nintendo-switch-lite/6513596.p?skuId=6513596

• 2 weeks later...

Shredder's Revenge?  It's gotten so much praise on so many podcasts, it's pretty wild

My daughter is very excited for the next wave of MK8 DLC tracks.  She literally squealed with delight at the reveal of the new dessert themed track.  Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to Waluigi Pinball in HD, one of the best tracks from Kart history.

Haven’t been able to get my kid into Mario Kart yet.  Once I do, the DLC is probably a good enough reason to upgrade from our Wii-U version of 8.

Assuming/hoping they’ll release similar DLC packages of boards, mini games, and characters for the most recent Mario Party - that is one my kid wants to play to death, and I’m tired of the five boards.

A really awful Splatoon 3 Direct this morning.  Splatoon was such a fresh and innovative concept back in 2015 and it's such a huge disappointment how they've been unable to evolve the franchise.  Splatoon 2 and now 3 are basically just expansions of the first game, more of the same.  I wish they would treat Splatoon like they do their other main franchises where each new entry is approached in the spirit of doing completely new things both conceptually and visually (think like Galaxy to 3D World to Odyssey, etc.).

Splatoon has become safe and boring when it should be a series all about wild experimentation.

I hate to say this but I'm now hoping for this game to underperform commercially, just to hopefully force some changes

Aw, that's a bummer to hear (I still haven't checked out that franchise but own the first two)

Nintendo in general feels safe and boring for awhile now. 

I think you can argue that Mario Odyssey was originally made for Wii U before they had the opportunity to make it for Switch. In fact, I think I heard that it was completely done for a long time before being released. We know Breath of the Wild was for Wii U. After those two games, Switch has really been a more of the same machine. Either that, or making a game based on people whining on the internet for things. Situations like reviving Metroid Dread, having the latest Mario Party be basically just a remix of the N64 games, having a halfassed story mode in Mario Tennis and Mario Golf. Just feels like a direct response to noise online. Compare that to the Gamecube years or Wii and Wii U years where the approach was basically "Okay, we got this idea. I know it sounds wacky, but bear with us and give it a chance." 

I guess the passing away of Iwata, and the "promotion" of  Miyamoto away from game design into everything else he's doing has had quite the impact on their software design, eh?

That's what I'm thinking. It seemed like Iwata fought the board a lot when they just wanted to push safer projects, and with him gone there's nobody to push back and propose crazy things. 

I mean, we're on the third Splatoon game in 7 years and people thought the 2nd one didn't have anything new enough to justify being a sequel. Was ANYTHING new shown in this direct? It all seemed like "Don't worry! So-and-so mode is back!" 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...