The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

Yeah Zelda looks cool and, best of all, very different from the last few Zeldas.  The formula's been in need of a shake up for so many years, I'm happy to see what Eiji Aonuma & co. have come up with.

What platform is that video being showcased on? Because it's always really disappointing to me how Nintendo continue to be absolutely fine with undermining the beautiful work of their talented artists' by sending it out on woefully inadequate hardware. It's been a big disservice ever since Skyward Sword. Hopefully the Switch version will be free of the horrible aliasing which dominates and ruins the image as seen here, which is presumably captured on the Wii U. 

Xenoblade Chronicles is the biggest waste of a game potential  ever being on the Wii. Every minute I played I kept thinking how awesome it would have been on the PS3 or PS4

That being said, it's funny no matter a Look at gaming sites every day I manage to miss a title I want to play. I borrowed Sword Arts Online for PS4 because I had dismissed it as a online MMO but it's not. It's LIKE a MMO but offline. big open world JRPG

I clearly have a much more casual approach to games than you guys.  I couldn't give a shit about the power of my gaming device.  I loved Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii (the 30 hours I played of it at least) and didn't have those feelings you had at all.  It was designed for Wii and ran wonderfully as designed.

I play alot of JRPG's where the graphics could belong to previous gen consoles (even on the PS4), but these are lower budget games and I accept them as such.

For such an ambitious game with an intricate world as  XenobladeChronicles , it's just a waste it was developed for the Wii.

I kind of get that vibe from Zelda Breath of the Wind after you past the initial amazement, you wonder how awesomer it would be on the Ps4

Whoa, one of my top two favourite games of all time just had a semi surprising sequel unveiled. 

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I clearly have a much more casual approach to games than you guys.  I couldn't give a shit about the power of my gaming device.  

I care very much. I care about the art and I want it to match the artist's original vision as closely as possible; the technical fidelity should never undermine that vision, ever. 

Portal 2 and The Last of Us are probably the two best game I've ever played. 

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

But video games are a medium by definition limited by the technical specs of the platform the developer chooses.  They design their vision within those limitations.

That's a fallacy. Actually, the artist's original vision is constrained by hardware limitations all the time, the Watch Dogs "downgrade" controversy for example. Undesirable trends such as chugging engine performance is continued proof that artists and developers do anything BUT design their titles "within those limitations" nowadays. 

I remember the reveal trailer for the new Zelda game, I remember the beautiful screenshots and how clean of artifacts they were. Sadly the game doesn't look as nice as that anymore. To me that's a big pity, because the original vision is compromised. 

Look, it's great that you don't mind "jaggies" and whatever else (screen tear?) artistic compromises which must be made in order to get titles running for your gaming pleasure. But it's 2016, and along with tight, highly finessed and deep gameplay; some of us also just really value strong visual integrity to go with it. What's really wrong with that? Do you enjoy movies which look substandard? 

Breath of the Wild will be a great game no doubt, but it's a brand new game, and I hope the Select version does it greater justice than what is seen in the latest trailer. 

I play some 2D stuff and the like too. Isometric games like Shadow Run, or Bastion, or Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Knight Lore. Very fine games. Indies. 

Have you played Nidhogg? 

p7tHo8J.jpg

A brilliant 2 player scrolling fighting game. It looks like utter arse as you can see. We make allowances for diversions though don't we. Plus I've been doing this since about 1983, so I'd be stupid not to appreciate how far games have come. 

On 03/12/2016 at 0:17 AM, king mark said:

I borrowed Sword Arts Online for PS4 because I had dismissed it as a online MMO but it's not. It's LIKE a MMO but offline. big open world JRPG

Google says it's also 4 player co-op. Is it "shared world" then? Very roughly sounds like Destiny, or maybe The Division. Games which are online but can be played solo. 

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Jay said:

Can't wait!

I can't wait to find out all the official details but it kinda sucks that it's at 11pm eastern.  I guess this is how a lot of the world feels when times for these kinds of events are tailored for my timezone.

From what I can tell, it certainly has better buzz and more widespread public interest than Nintendo has seen since the Wii.  Not that I think it'll be a zeitgeist-defining hit like that, but it's definitely better set up to be a success than Wii U (or even 3DS).  So much depends on the price, which I assume will be announced at this event.

• 4 weeks later...

if there's lots of exclusive RPG's I might get a Switch eventually .Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has my attention

but the graphics seem a bit subpar compared to PS4

Is it even more powerful than the WiiU?

They already announced 5 RPGs:

^ Those two plus Dragon Quest 10, Dragon Question 11, and Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2.

I see they let their well known greed get the better of them again and priced their selves out of the competition. And that paid online service sounds like a joke. This is going to be another disaster if they don't get real fast, certainly in the UK. 

It's a shame, because Zelda and Mario look fantastic. 

:lol: Good one, Koray!

Zelda BOTW and Mario Odyssey alone will ensure the Switch sells more consoles than the Wii U, and that's just the first year of software!

It'll sell more than the Wii U, sure, but that isn't hard to do considering it's one of the worst selling consoles in history. It's already more expensive than a PS4 or Xbox One with no online infrastructure, hardware power, or a strong launch line up. The controllers cost $80! It's a fucking joke. 

You're delusional Jason, this was a bad turn of events for Select. Nintendo haven't a fuckin' clue. When it releases, it has five titles available at launch. Five. But that's only the start of everything Nintendo have got so badly wrong here. 

The ideal outcome now would be that Nintendo is punished beyond return, Select joins the ranks of the Wii U and the GameCube before it, and the company follows the mistakes of Sega to eventually become a software only company. In that scenario, everyone else would be a winner. 

it's the fault of people who were satisfied with playing 3DS or wii games .Now they think they can push underpowered consoles every time

no wonder I thought the games looked bad, this thing is barely more powerful than the WiiU which is about like an xbox360

If nintendo made a normal console with normal controllers that has current hardware specs I'd buy it

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

You're delusional Jason, this was a bad turn of events for Select. Nintendo haven't a fuckin' clue. When it releases, it has five titles available at launch. Five. But that's only the start of everything Nintendo have got so badly wrong here. 

The ideal outcome now would be that Nintendo is punished beyond return, Select joins the ranks of the Wii U and the GameCube before it, and the company follows the mistakes of Sega to eventually become a software only company. In that scenario, everyone else would be a winner. 

This. 

Even their third party support amounts to having Skyrim, a five year old game, and FIFA on the console. FIFA. That's it, a yearly sports title that EA uses to print money. No new games. 

It's laughable that Skyrim is even a selling point at all. The real consoles and PC just got the Special Edition with better graphics support and mod support, so along comes the five year old vanilla version. Wowee. 

7 hours ago, king mark said:

no wonder I thought the games looked bad, this thing is barely more powerful than the WiiU which is about like an xbox360

They want more money than their more powerful competitors go for, too. Quite a lot more. Inferior hardware? That'll cost you more than superior hardware please. The Nintendo way of doing business. 

"But Nintendo aren't in direct competition with Sony or Microsoft."

Suuuuuuure. This is what saw the Wii U punished so badly, coming out during a major hardware refresh from The Big Two. 

2 hours ago, king mark said:

people really play FIFA?

C'mon, don't be a fool. I'm not a fan, but FIFA is one of the biggest gaming franchises on the planet. 

3 hours ago, petaQ said:

It's laughable that Skyrim is even a selling point at all. The real consoles and PC just got the Special Edition with better graphics support and mod support, so along comes the five year old vanilla version. Wowee. 

Everyone and their grandma has played Skyrim at this point. And yet here is Nintendo, trying to get us all excited about it, six years later. I think I picked it up on Steam for three quid about four years ago. How much will it cost on the Switch? 

More caution: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-13-nintendos-precarious-reveal-runs-risk-of-switching-off-fans

The conference didn't really do anything for me. Mario and Zelda looked great, but of course they did. And even if all the first part games are great, which they probably will be, it's not enough for me to want to get the console. I need third party support, and the hardware looks like it'll have some detrimental limitations. 

When Nintendo unveiled the Virtual Boy, it failed but the company survived. Wii U was not the smash hit as the Wii No-U, but it survived. I think the company will unfortunately survive no matter how ridiculous this Switch is. And that's bad because they'll keep getting chances to make stupid, uncompetitive consoles. 

They are one of the most cash rich corporations on the planet. They could have three consoles tank in a row and still be fine.