The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

This is correct. 

1 hour ago, petaQ said:

I think the company will unfortunately survive no matter how ridiculous this Switch is. 

They'll survive but their model will be very different. Because they will be a multiformat software company. 

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

They'll survive but their model will be very different. Because they will be a multiformat software company. 

I agree. If the Switch fails, and I'm not say it will, I think they're destined to start putting software on other systems. 

• 3 weeks later...

New 90 second commercial for the Switch

Also the price of their online services will be about $25-$30/year according to various reports.  Excellent news!

I was happy to see that they're really going for it with the Switch marketing.  This is Nintendo's first Super Bowl commercial ever.  It's pretty clear they know this device is their "make or break" moment.

I can't wait to see what games get announced at E3.  Mario Odyssey should be a playable demo at that too

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody here playing FIRE EMBLEM HEROES?

I am completely and utterly addicted.  It's not only my first Fire Emblem game, but my first "real" mobile game too (other than shit like Angry Birds or Words With Friends, Flow Free, whatever else)

I cannot believe how much enjoyment I've gotten out of something that is completely free, and how many tweaks, improvements, and enhancements Nintendo has already added in in the two weeks its been out.  Great experience so far!

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

I am completely and utterly addicted.  It's not only my first Fire Emblem game, but my first "real" mobile game too (other than shit like Angry Birds or Words With Friends, Flow Free, whatever else)

I cannot believe how much enjoyment I've gotten out of something that is completely free, and how many tweaks, improvements, and enhancements Nintendo has already added in in the two weeks its been out.  Great experience so far!

I bought Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS back when it came in 2013(I think?).  I played until it got hard and quit, mostly because I wasn't enjoying it enough to work at getting good at it.  Turn-based strategy games aren't my thing, I guess.  Outside of a few notable exceptions, I don't much like RPGs in general, really.

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Have you spent anything on it yet, or have you at least felt like it has become a requirement to spend in order to reduce the grind? 

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I bought Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS back when it came in 2013(I think?).  I played until it got hard and quit, mostly because I wasn't enjoying it enough to work at getting good at it.  Turn-based strategy games aren't my thing, I guess.  Outside of a few notable exceptions, I don't much like RPGs in general, really.

I've not only never played a Fire Emblem game before this one, but I hadn't even every played a tactics/strategy RPG before this one, either!  That being said, the battles in FEH are so simplified compared to (what I understand) the main games are like, you might like this one despite not liking those.  Since its free to try out, you have nothing to lose but ~15 minutes of time!

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Have you spent anything on it yet, or have you at least felt like it has become a requirement to spend in order to reduce the grind? 

I haven't spent a single dollar and never will.  I'm glad there are whales funding the game, because the free to play experience is very rich and I can see myself playing it for a long time.

I actually quite enjoy grinding up levels and other rewards.  Since we're in the launch window, obtaining a lot of stuff is easier than it seemingly will be later, unless they change their mind.  For example right now the training towers are all half-stamina cost, equiping skills is 0 stamina, and there's even a 1.5x experience gain for every battle in effect for the next week or something.  Plus there are daily maps where you can earn a free character by beating them, and there was a Grand Hero map last week where you got a better than usual hero if you beat it.  I've also been pretty lucky with my summoning rounds, and already have a 5star Camilla, 5star Robin, 5* Tharja, 5* Linde, and 5* Sheena, plus some great 4stars (Kagero, Effie, Roy).  Getting close to my next summoning round and hope to get a Takumi, Hector, Lyn, or Azura 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I haven't spent a single dollar and never will.  I'm glad there are whales funding the game, because the free to play experience is very rich and I can see myself playing it for a long time.

It probably helps that you've never played an FE game before and therefore aren't attached to any of the series characters (unless you really loved Marth in Smash or something).  Isn't the monetization to do with trying to get characters you want?

I've also never played a Super Smash Bros game!

(actually, I think I did try one of them out once, but not for long)

So yea, the characters I seek are entirely based on their artwork/dialogue, how much they whipped my ass when facing against them, having some special ability I think would pair well with other characters I have, or just reading online about why a character is good.

There are 3 ways to get more characters in the game:

-You get three (new) chracters in the main story mode

-Daily Hero Battles and semi-regular Grand Hero Battles

-Summoning them

Summoning heroes costs "orbs", the game in-game currency.  Now, you are constantly getting orbs for free just by playing the game:  You get 15 free after finishing the prologue, 2 per day during hte launch window, another extra one free on Sundays during the launch window, one for every level you beat in the main story (and there are three difficulty levels, so you can win those 45 orbs 3 times), additional chapters they are adding every 2 weeks, plus special quests (ie, beat level 2-5 with an archer or something like that).

However, if you run out of orbs and want to summon more characters, you can spend real life money to buy more orbs.

It costs 5 orbs to summon a character, but if you summer 5 characters in a round in only costs a total of 20 orbs, which is what I recommend you do for summoning every time.

Every summon is random, you cannot pick which character you're gonna get.  So, that's why whales fund the game;  Rich people who want some certain character will keep rebuying orbs and re-summoning until they get what they want

You can also use orbs to by stamina, so if you run out and want to play more you can buy more orbs for that.

Basically there's a stamina counter that maxes out at 50, and each battle costs stamina to play.  All the early maps are only 1 stamina, so you can literally play for an hour probably your first game.  As the levels get harder the stamina costs go up, I think the the final level of the main game is 13 stamina on normal and like 23 on lunatic difficulty.

Every 5 minutes you get a stamina point back, so if you completely deplete your stamina down to 0 its 4 hours 10 minutes until its at 50 again.

The stamina systems sounds worse than it is, really; It's not a game designed to be played for long periods of time, its designed to play in a lot of little bursts throughout your day.  But of course, if you want spend real money, you can put in long sessions.  

I just try to wake up each day an immediately do a few battles to knock my stamina down enough so that by the time I get ready, get to work, get settled, etc, I can get in a quick battle while getting my morning coffee or whatever and still have a full lot of stamina at lunch time for a bunch of battles, something like that.  At home its nice to play a battle while brushing teeth or when a show you're watching doesn't deserve your full attention or whatever. 

Each battle can take 30 seconds to 4-5 minutes to play depending on how hard it is

I honestly though I'd NEVER be into mobile gaming, and only tried this one out because it was Nintendo, and because it was free.  Turned out to be nothing like what I expected.

For one, its pretty adult oriented, I have three characters with gigantic tits and they on full display, and some characters say some risque things

File:Full Portrait Camilla.png    File:Full Special Camilla.pngFile:Full Portrait Kagero.png    File:Full Special Kagero.pngFile:Full Portrait Tharja.pngFile:Full Special Tharja.png

Also I never though a game played entirely on a touch screen could be so rewarding either

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

I honestly though I'd NEVER be into mobile gaming, and only tried this one out because it was Nintendo, and because it was free.  Turned out to be nothing like what I expected.

For one, its pretty adult oriented, I have three characters with gigantic tits and they on full display, and some characters say some risque things

Also I never though a game played entirely on a touch screen could be so rewarding either

Hmmm...

Haha, there's one character who actually tells you she wants to be patted, its weird.

Sometimes, I really can't believe this is a Nintendo game and not some other company

Well you know Nintendo opened a chain of "love hotels" in the 60s and when they were still a playing card company they'd make decks of cards with nude women on them.  They're going back to their roots!

(read more about Nintendo's strange history here: http://kotaku.com/5784314/the-nintendo-theyve-tried-to-forget-gambling-gangsters-and-love-hotels)

Haha, its not THAT adult, I'm sure it would still qualify as PG in every way, but I guess I'm used to them being full on G or whatever

Anyways, none of that is what makes the game great, regardless.  Its just a fun game!

Man the Grand Hero Battle in FIRE EMBLEM HEROES vs Female Robin was tough!  Not as tough as the Narcian battle, though.  Then again, maybe another week of leveling up my heroes is what made it easier.

I ended up sending (lvl 40 5*) Camilla in and up a tile.  She tanked the damage from the blue mage (0) and green mage (like 4) and then when the green axe guy attacked, her counter was charged and she killed him.  The blue lance guy and Robin just moved around.  Then on my turn I had (lvl 40 5*) Tharja kill the blue lancer, and Camilla killed the green mage.  Next turn I think Tharja and Camilla tanked some hits, then I had Camilla kill the blue mage and Tharja kill Robin and that was that!  I can't even remember the other two units I brought in, I think maybe it was a healer who sat on the other side of the wall and tanked one hit of something now that I think about it.  Didn't matter much.

The Hard difficulty didn't work out the same way, though!  I sent Camilla into the same spot, and this time the axe guy attacked first, and even though she still tanked the mages, there was 5 guys left alive at the end of the turn and she died soon after.  So I came up with a new plan: I brought in Bartre, who Smited her two tiles in, then I had her directly attack the axe guy and kill him.  She tanked everything else and her and Tharja cleaned up like before, and it was pretty much the same from what I recall.  Though I only barely won; Camilla had 2 health left at the end!

These Grand Hero Battles are great; Much more challenging than any levels from the main game, I think.  Mostly because all the main story levels are beatable by just leveling up your guys enough to plow through everything, but in these battles you need to find a strategy that you can work with the guys you have - and if they're not good enough, level up the right units in time during the 3 days the battle is there for.

Can't wait for the next one, I hope its Ursula.

Oh, and I beat 9-5 on Lunatic today too, it was hard but once I remembered Camilla had high res I was able to use her to draw some units down and get the bad guys to go where I wanted.  Now I eagerly await the next chapters to be added to the main story, I think they come next week?

here's another one:

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-the-kotaku-review-1792776350

basically pay 500$ for a system with lots of issues  to play the new Zelda, which is apparently a great game

Yeah, that game, and the new Mario one are the most irritating thing of all about the system. 

Ah well, one day when it's all bundled for sale on eBay.

It's a great piece of hardware that is being rushed out before AAA software (other than Zelda), Virtual Console, and its online gaming infrastructure are ready for it, in order to give Nintendo a boom before the end of their fiscal year (which ends at the end of March).  By this Christmas, there will be a ton of great software for this thing (seriously!), plus HOPEFULLY a new bundle that actually includes a game, the grip that charges the joycons, and REALLY REALLY HOPEFULLY 128GB of memory instead of the insane 32GB it has now.

It's needs 500mb storage MINIMUM and a price point of £179.00 in order to stand a chance in the UK. (that's roughly half its launch price... once you add the necessary extras) 

Nah, it doesn't need to ship with 500gb.  Most games for this thing are under 5 gigs.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 7 GB
Snipperclips: Cut It Out, Together: 1.6 GB
Disgaea: 5: 5.92 GB
Puyo Puyo Tetris: 1.09 GB
I Am Setsuna: 1.4 GB
Nobunaga's Ambition: 5 GB

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/20/14667628/nintendo-switch-downloadable-file-sizes

Heh, a few of those are dainty bloatware equivalents compared to what will come later. Wait until EA and Activision port a few titles over - then you'll see your 128gb suggestion devoured in no time. Even the likes of Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 comes in at 32gb. Add a few third party multiplats, a handful of extensive 3D open world RPGs/action titles and a bunch of other media made available to download and you will see free storage space be chewed through in no time. These days the consumer has simply come to expect it. 

Incidentally, it's daft how my phone's battery is more capable than what comes built in to a brand new games console. 

Yes but I think you're missing that if you buy a game physically, it plays entirely off the cart without needing to use any of the system's internal storage space at all; This isn't like the PS4 and XBOne where you buy a physical game and then copy the entire disc into the system before you can play it.

Now yes, those that prefer to buy games digitally instead of physically will have to download the entire game into system storage, but of course the system supports microSD cards up to 2TB to hold games.

53 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Skimming over that Kotaku Switch review, it's worrying to me that he says Zelda's performance takes a major hit whenever it's played in its dock plugged into a tv. That's shocking

if I  get one (if there's an amazing lineup of RPG's) I'd  play it on the TV all the time so that's definitely not good.

And i'd leave those controllers permanently plugged into the handheld console and get a pro controller ...looks like the whole thing is fragile and might fall apart after a month. I can  see a bunch of little plastic parts meant to hold the pieces together breaking off

I don't like the look of the controller solution they bundle with the system at all, so the Pro controller (or the NORMAL controller on any other platform) would be a must for me. Except it's ridiculously expensive. 

WTF is wrong with Nintendo? Just give me a capable little traditional system which just works. LIKE YOU USED TO.