The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

I've been playing Paper Mario: Color Splash on the Wii U for a few days.  I like it a lot!  It's definitely better than Sticker Star, the previous entry in the franchise.  I mean, this isn't some amazing GOTY stuff, but it's drop dead gorgeous and very funny.  Just a really relaxing game, perfect for playing like 45 minutes of every night to unwind.

• 2 weeks later...

And its called the Nintendo Switch

Did that video simultaneously confirm new Mario, Mario Kart, and Splatoon games?

Controllers seem small, though larger versions will probably be sold

Glad there's no VR crap

EDIT: And Skyrim Remastered was in there too

EDIT: Woah, lots of 3rd party support

partners.png

VR is a separate thing anyway. 

It's the future. Sitting in front of your TV screen with a controller is how gaming started, and where it basically still is today.

Nintendo at least tried to do something a little different with Wii. But overall there havent been any huge changes since...the 80's?

Sorry but I think it looks ugly and cheaply produced. Nothing tops the original PS4 design, though I am a fan of the sleek Xbox One S design. 

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

It's the future. Sitting in front of your TV screen with a controller is how gaming started, and where it basically still is today.

Nintendo at least tried to do something a little different with Wii. But overall there havent been any huge changes since...the 80's?

Game design hasn't changed drastically in the past 15 years, no, but that has nothing to do with VR in terms of hardware. Couch and controller gaming will never die and is the best way to play. 

I'm very excited for this and I'm definitely someone who "drinks the Nintendo kool-aid," but I will never ever ever ever say the phrase "Joy-Con" out loud.  I have some self-respect left.

I think this system theoretically could be backwards compatible with all of their prior systems.

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy, GBC, and GBA are easy and straightforward, of course.

Wii is possible if they allowed WiiMotes to be paired to it.  

DS, 3DS, and Wii U depend on if that screen is a touchscreen or not.  If it is, than those games can be played with the TV showing one screen and the tablet the other screen.  

Alternatively, if you could hold the tablet vertically, though could show both DS / 3DS screens at once.

The aesthetic is definitely still pretty 3D World-ish, but yeah I can't wait to learn more about this game.  I hope it's launch.  A new 3D Mario is certainly the game that would get me to line up on launch night.

It's gotta be a launch title along with Zelda 19, Skyrim, and the new Splatoon and Mario Kart games (and whatever that basketball game was)

I hope since Dragon Quest 11 is coming to Switch, FF15 and the 7 Remake are too

EDIT: And if this is legit, it can output 1080p at 60fps and 4K at 30fps

http://pastebin.com/UD1Vx9rf

I dunno, it can't be as powerful as the Ps4 if it's a hand held

but if there's a decent selection of RPG's I might consider it, i'd like to see at least Xenoblade Chronicles X

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided that Nintendo's new NES Classic box is overpriced for its value, which is not expandable or upgradeable yet. I'm going the Raspberry Pi and Retropie route for greater variety. 

Yea it's a joke, they should have put in a WiFi card and the ability to buy more games for $1 each through the menu. 

Also the controller cords are way too short

It's like they expect you to use it at a small monitor screen at a desk, or close to the TV screen on the floor like some used to do as children. 

Not me, though. Our parents bought the satellite for use with the NES back in the day. We sat back on the couch, or at least the recommended five feet or so.  

That close to the screen, you're not wooing away the emulator fans. 

I certainly wouldn't want the new Zelda to ship before it's ready.

I'm hoping Super Mario Run won't have any performance issues on my 2012 iPad.  The app store just says 'Require iOS 8.0 or later'.  I switched from iPhone to Android this year so it's the only iOS device I still have.

Well, see for yourself:

On 9/7/2016 at 2:21 PM, Jay said:

Nintendo has developed a Mario game for mobile

bqul1w1wbnnbjy2tbayj.png (636×340)

Drops this December

It's not an endless runner at all.  Nintendo is a company that puts a lot of care and finesse into designing their games, they wouldn't do something so lazy.

I guess the term should be 'auto-runner'.  The levels are intricately designed and have a flagpole at the end.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, see for yourself:

And see this new video put out today too.  It looks like a really well-designed game that's still approachable like a mobile game aimed at a wide audience should be:

49 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It literally, by definition, is not.  Endless runners are high score attack games where the "levels" are procedurally generated and you run until you hit an obstacle at which the point the level is over and your score is recorded.

Super Mario Run is about perfecting your run through a meticulously designed, finite level.  When you hit an obstacle, your character is taken back to just before you "died."

To deny that those are different kinds of games is just to be purposefully dismissive to show how little you care about the game, I guess.  Which is fine, but they aren't the same thing.

Correct!

A tribute to the legendary game, this short showcases Skull Kid’s dark origin story. Our take on how the Zelda Universe could be realized in film. A labor of love for all those involved, this is a gift to the fans.

This... is... awesome. Great visuals, and nice music too (love their take on the Lost Woods theme).

So I've recently complete Link To The Past and Link's Awakening, and and towards the end of Link Between Worlds.

I think my next console Link will be Wind Waker HD, but for my next handheld Link should I go for Oracle of Ages / Seasons, or Minish Cap?

I definitely think you should play those Flagship Zelda games in order (meaning the Oracle games and then Minish Cap).  My preference is for Ages being the better of the two, but both are great!

Is this your first time playing through Link Between Worlds? It's got a great ending.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

What did you think of the ending?

The entire game is a masterpiece from start to finish including the ending

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I definitely think you should play those Flagship Zelda games in order (meaning the Oracle games and then Minish Cap).  My preference is for Ages being the better of the two, but both are great!

Does it matter what order I play Ages and Seasons in?

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Is this your first time playing through Link Between Worlds? It's got a great ending.

Yes first time.  It's SURPRISINGLY good.. like, it's really fucking good!!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Does it matter what order I play Ages and Seasons in?

Nope.  But you should definitely play through one entirely before starting the other, because they feed into each other sort of.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes first time.  It's SURPRISINGLY good.. like, it's really fucking good!!

Yes yes!  The controls are so buttery smooth, it's just plain fun to interact with.

The music is awesome, the graphics are awesome, the storyline is interesting, the weapons are fun, it's an A+ game!

Turning flat to find secrets on walls looked crazy when I first saw it but in practice its freaking sweet!  I hope they do a sequel for the Switch, maybe with Ocarina of Time / Majora aesthetics instead of LTTP again or something