The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

The live Treehouse feed is covering Link's Awakening right now!

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Have you ever played a game directed by Suda51? He's one of the most interesting game developers around. 

Not yet

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Who's pumped!?

I'm gonna lap that sequel water up like a dog in Jerusalem, hot damn. Breath of the Wild has one of the coolest game engines ever made, and I wanted to play the game just to experience that more. I could throw in more of my opinions, but first I want to ask: are there things with the first one you want to see addressed with this one? 

Also, how many video game threads do we need? Could this one get folded into the Nintendo thread?

Yea, I'd like a sequel to feature big lengthy dungeons.  BOTW featuring smaller shrines and the 4 guardians was a cool way to mix things up after 30 years and I wouldn't have wanted them to do anything different, but for a sequel let's spend some lengthy periods in a big dungeon where you really explore what you can do with one item or mechanic and face a boss that lines up well with it.  And make each dungeon different from each other aesthetically

Wow!  This better come to the US!

They are showing Mario Maker 2 on the Treehouse feed now!

I wasn't a super big fan of the first one, but man, this one is looking pretty fun! Watching the lady not allowed to jump fills me with more tension than I thought I would ever feel about a Mario game. 

Mario Maker 1 is one of the most fun times I've had with video games!  The collapse of the WiiU and not having an easy way to find levels and follow makers when SMM launched (it came in a later update) severely crippled the potential the game had, so I'm so happy that SMM2 is getting a big push and that it looks like they really improved on the first in every possible way.  I can't wait!!

Wow the 3D World style in 2D looks nice

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea, I'd like a sequel to feature big lengthy dungeons.  BOTW featuring smaller shrines and the 4 guardians was a cool way to mix things up after 30 years and I wouldn't have wanted them to do anything different, but for a sequel let's spend some lengthy periods in a big dungeon where you really explore what you can do with one item or mechanic and face a boss that lines up well with it.  And make each dungeon different from each other aesthetically

I liked the idea of the unifying themes and how they subtly related to the region you found them, which further led to the storytelling of the world (such as how the Gerudo area shrines were all based on electricity like the Divine Beast and the Champion's power), but I agree with you that more variety on that front would be nice. 

I would like to see a more in depth narrative: the first one had some cool ideas, but nothing ever really developed and most things were resolved super quickly; it's obvious that nailing the gameplay and exploration were their top priority, but now that the foundation is set I'm hoping they'll throw more into the storytelling and come up with something really cool like Majora's Mask (the trailer has some promising stuff).

I also want more scenarios like Eventide Island and the Master Sword DLC where you're thrown into hostile situations and have to rely purely on the base game system, foraging for items and food, using your wit to outdo the enemies you were surrounded by. Great stuff that sadly didn't happen often.

Would you believe I've never actually played a Luigi's Mansion game?  I didn't get hte Gamecube at launch, I didn't get one until after Mario Sunshine was out, and I just never got around to picking up Luigi's Mansion for it.

I eventually got Dark Moon and the original's remake for 3DS, but since getting a Switch going back to my 3DS hasn't been that appealing so I haven't played them yet!

Yea, they really went ALL IN on the COMPLETELY open world / "do anything you want in any order you want" angle, meaning that they couldn't rely on the user experiencing the story in any order they could set up, so the story had to basically all be told in flashbacks that would work when viewed in any order, leaving only the endgame for any real story taking place in the current time.

I would say it worked fine for BOTW, but yes, I wouldn't mind if a sequel featured a more traditional narrative.

And yea, I'd be totally on board with more Eventide Island-like situations!

The first one is a _nice_ little game. I've never played a game that quite has the atmosphere and pacing like it. One of the nice things about it was you had the whole mansion to explore as one large environment...when I found out the sequel was more "level" oriented, I lost interest. That and the fact it wasn't developed by Nintendo.

Luigi's Mansion is short, you should definitely give it a shot!

I definitely will at some point!  Maybe I'll track down a GC disc instead of playing the 3DS remake.  I dunno.

11 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Wasn't Breath of the Wild released in 2017? Wouldn't it be logical that a sequel is in development?

I think where the surprise comes for most people is that by the trailer it appears to be a direct sequel to Breath of the Wild rather than a "spiritual" one as usual. Last time the big Nintendo boys did something like this was in 2000, and Majora's Mask was a rarity then, too.

Nobody in this thread expressed surprise it was in development. Of course it was, and has been since the last DLC came out, if not sooner.

The Wow was in reaction to the trailer itself, because it was a cool trailer that wowwed me!

And frankly it's surprising that the development is far enough along that they thought it was prudent to stop a trailer now. Typically Nintendo doesn't like to talk about projects TOO far in advance, so it was surprising to not just get a short note, or a logo teaser like Prime 4, but a full length fully animated trailer.  

It was an awesome mic drop moment to end a very well done presentation overall.

13 hours ago, Quintus said:

I imagine middle aged Pokémon fans to be the same sorts who watch and enjoy My Little Pony cartoons.

nah. when I play videogames I don't think about what age I should be to enjoy them or what other people might think . I did play 2 Digimon titles and I guess that's similar to Pokemon. Same with those JRPG's that could be considered childish or pervy by other people

Right now I'm trying to play Outcast Second Contract. I'm a bit turned off by the graphics that look like early PS3 .I really have a hard time with retro gaming.You can't even aim the fucking gun and you have to  move your character until your in line with your enemy

I'm a bit like that with 2D stuff. Even if the art or pixel art is detailed and charming, I struggle to get into experiences unless the gameplay or mood really stands out from the umpteen hundred previous 2D games I played in the yesteryear. There has to be something about a 2D game that I haven't felt before.

Thomas Was Alone and Inside are recent ones I've very much enjoyed.

I avoid all 2D sidescroling games. I can't get immersed in them.

For Isometric view I'll make a few exceptions like Divinity Original Sin but it still feels a bit cheap in 2019

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one on JWFan which doesn't play video games to be "immersed".

I play video games because they're fun!

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one on JWFan which doesn't play video games to be "immersed".

I play video games because they're fun!

Well, fun and Immersion aren't necessarily mutually exclusive to me. But I do like to be fully enveloped into a game, if it's a particularly good one. SOMA is probably the standout title for me there, in recent memory anyway. Once I began to understand the type of experience it was going for, I played it in the dark and with my headphones on. For me, it was about as transportive as games can get, without VR. The way that journey unfolded, it just blew me away by the end.

It was also a lot of fun.

Horror games, story based first person adventures, walking simulators, all are genres in which I look to be immersed.

So the only reason this thread exists is so KM doesn't have to pollute is poor sensitive eyes with discussion of Nintendo?  You don't ever see me complaining about his shitty JRPGS.   What kind of person can't handle just seeing other people discuss games that aren't to his taste?  Pathetic.

:lock2:

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So the only reason this thread exists is so KM doesn't have to pollute is poor sensitive eyes with discussion of Nintendo?  You don't ever see me complaining about his shitty JRPGS.   What kind of person can't handle just seeing other people discuss games that aren't to his taste?  Pathetic.

:lock2:

Isn't there a history here of the mods complying with KM's complaints?

Stop complaining about thread semantics and share with us your thoughts on the Nintendo E3 Direct!

Didn't watch, figured I would just read up on it.

Looking forward to LA switch!

Still haven't even beat the first BOTW!

Looking forward to FFCC switch, hopefully the music gets something special.

I liked Contra III for SNES....

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Stop complaining about thread semantics and share with us your thoughts on the Nintendo E3 Direct!

I came away from the Direct with basically neutral feelings.  That doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to the games coming out this year.  I'm really looking forward to playing Super Mario Maker 2, Luigi's Mansion, and Link's Awakening.  I'm also looking forward to playing Pokemon Shield with my 5-year-old.  I'm not super into Pokemon, but I played the crap out of Blue 20 years ago, and my daughter is already so excited about it.  She knows she wants her character to be a girl and Sobble will be her starter.  She also quickly decided she like the Shield Legendary best, which is why we're buying Shield.

The Animal Crossing delay was pretty disappointing, mostly because it means that Pokemon is their only big Holiday season release (assuming Luigi's Mansion 3 is October, which it might not be).  But I'm looking forward to that game too.  I played the original on Gamecube for like a hundred hours and haven't played one since.  This should be the perfect opportunity to dive back in and it's another one that's perfect for playing with my kids.

The BOTW2 trailer looks pretty cool, but I feel like I've been through too many Zelda hype cycles to let myself get very pumped about a game that is likely not coming out until Holiday 2021.  If it even comes out by then.

I enjoyed my time with Smash Ultimate back in December, but I'm not into that game enough to care about the DLC characters.  I spent 40-50 hours playing the single player mode and I'm probably not touching it again.

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The BOTW2 trailer looks pretty cool, but I feel like I've been through too many Zelda hype cycles to let myself get very pumped about a game that is likely not coming out until Holiday 2021.  If it even comes out by then.

I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily, but since this appears to have the same engine as Breath of the Wild, wouldn't you think the turnaround time on this one would be shorter since they've already gotten a lot of the fundamentals established? 

Up until Skyward Sword, the average wait time for a new Zelda game was about three years.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The Animal Crossing delay was pretty disappointing, mostly because it means that Pokemon is their only big Holiday season release (assuming Luigi's Mansion 3 is October, which it might not be).  But I'm looking forward to that game too.  I played the original on Gamecube for like a hundred hours and haven't played one since.  This should be the perfect opportunity to dive back in and it's another one that's perfect for playing with my kids.

What made you decide not to ever check out New Leaf?

4 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily, but since this appears to have the same engine as Breath of the Wild, wouldn't you think the turnaround time on this one would be shorter since they've already gotten a lot of the fundamentals established? 

Up until Skyward Sword, the average wait time for a new Zelda game was about three years.

I hope you're right!  I also just would've been 10x more excited by a gameplay based trailer, and not a cutscene trailer.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

What made you decide not to ever check out New Leaf?

Honestly I don't remember

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Also, I love Fire Emblem, I'm hoping this one they're showing right on the Direct stream right now is frustratingly hard.

Don't they usually have Infernal and Abyssal difficulty settings even if Normal and Hard are too easy for you?

Most Fire Emblem Heroes levels are available in those 4 difficulties at least (I've never played a main game)

The art style of 3 Houses turns me off somehow, I can't quite put my finger on it.  It's similar to Xenoblade 2's art style, which I did like.

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Also, I love Fire Emblem, I'm hoping this one they're showing right on the Direct stream right now is frustratingly hard.

The polar opposite of my cup of tea.  I tried Awakening because everyone said it was the Fire Emblem to get people into Fire Emblem and I despised everything about it.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I hope you're right!  I also just would've been 10x more excited by a gameplay based trailer, and not a cutscene trailer.

We could get a gameplay footager trailer at e3 2020

Just now, Jay said:

Don't they usually have Infernal and Abyssal difficulty settings even if Normal and Hard are too easy for you?

Most Fire Emblem Heroes levels are available in those 4 difficulties at least (I've never played a main game)

The art style of 3 Houses turns me off somehow

Mmmm, Fire Emblem has always been pretty spotty with how it handles higher difficulty. Normally it means stats-boosted enemies, not more intelligent ones. I want a strategy game to be hard because I'm playing against extremely smart and clever opponents that forces my brain to step up its game. 

Do you mean the game art style, that 3D anime kind of look?

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The polar opposite of my cup of tea.  I tried Awakening because everyone said it was the Fire Emblem to get people into Fire Emblem and I despised everything about it.

Even the music?

What problems did you have with the gameplay? I'm not gonna ask about the story and characters!

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

We could get a gameplay footager trailer at e3 2020

Well yeah that's what I mean, it's a long way off from seeing anything more about the game.  I guess I just didn't find the trailer itself particularly exciting as a tease.

6 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

What problems did you have with the gameplay? I'm not gonna ask about the story and characters!

I think I just hate strategy games.  Not my thing.  I also don't like chess.  I'm not necessarily bad at the whole "anticipating multiple outcomes and making decisions based on that" thing but it's not something I derive any pleasure from or want to spend my free time doing.

think I just hate strategy games.  Not my thing.  I also don't like chess.  I'm not necessarily bad at the whole "anticipating multiple outcomes and making decisions based on that" thing but it's not something I derive any pleasure from or want to spend my free time doing.

Fair enough. See I'll watch a Star Trek episode where they have some tactical battle and I'll immediately crave to play something that feels like that, it's like a smoker watching characters smoking on TV.

They're gonna be showing multiplayer Luigi's Mansion up next. If anyone is watching these Nintendo streams, could you let me know if at any point a dude named Arnie shows up?

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

They're gonna be showing multiplayer Luigi's Mansion up next. If anyone is watching these Nintendo streams, could you let me know if at any point a dude named Arnie shows up?

I'm watching for the next 30 minutes.  Boy I couldn't care less about the multiplayer aspect of Luigi's Mansion 3.

I saw a little bit of yesterday's Treehouse demo of the single player, but I feel like they still haven't done much to assure me that the structure of this game is similar to the first one.  I didn't enjoy Dark Moon enough to even finish it.  The whole mission based, multiple mansions system just so fundamentally misunderstood what was cool about the first game.  I'm not happy that the same people are making the 3rd one.

I'm not sure this hotel structure will recapture it or not.  It could very much be just treating each floor like a level.

I'm watching for the next 30 minutes.  Boy I couldn't care less about the multiplayer aspect of Luigi's Mansion 3.

I saw a little bit of yesterday's Treehouse demo of the single player, but I feel like they still haven't done much to assure me that the structure of this game is similar to the first one.  I didn't enjoy Dark Moon enough to even finish it.  The whole mission based, multiple mansions system just so fundamentally misunderstood what was cool about the first game.  I'm not happy that the same people are making the 3rd one.

I'm not sure this hotel structure will recapture it or not.  It could very much be just treating each floor like a level.

I'm always on the lookout for more multiplayer games, so I'm interested. 

I already wrote about this above, but I totally feel you about the structure of the game, it's the number one make or break factor for me, and my main source of trepidation for the game. Especially since it's the same team as Dark Moon. Honestly with the floor thing I'm getting a bit of a Psychonauts vibe.

@Disco Stu They just acknowledged criticism of the second one, so here's hoping!