The NINTENDO Thread

Jay

This is not Nintendo bashing, but I do feel like there should be a Nintendo Gaming Thread because of the massive chasm between Nintendo and the rest of the platforms. Nintendo seems like a walled garden to me. Then again I seem to be the only one left posting not playing on the Nintendo Switch and nobody here plays JRPG's

but it's not like 2 gaming threads would clutter up the forum..but more in the spirit of the  the old and new movie thread

It has undoubtedly morphed into a Nintendo/Zelda fandom thread, which is why I personally don't really find too much to contribute with these days, but I guess it's just inevitable when there's more fanboys of a singular platform than another occupying the thread. Like, I'm sure on any other forum I could find plenty of posters who like shooters or whatever else I'm into, but hey ho, I'm here at JWFAN aren't I. So instead I read Reddit for gaming discussion nowadays, and get involved in the discussion there fairly often. Give it a try!

Other than that, make a second thread ;)

I read reddit comments when I'm stuck in a game

16 minutes ago, Quintus said:

It has undoubtedly morphed into a Nintendo/Zelda fandom thread, which is why I personally don't really find too much to contribute with these days, but I guess it's just inevitable when there's more fanboys of a singular platform than another occupying the thread. Like, I'm sure on any other forum I could find plenty of posters who like shooters or whatever else I'm into, but hey ho, I'm here at JWFAN aren't I. So instead I read Reddit for gaming discussion nowadays, and get involved in the discussion there fairly often. Give it a try!

I know you like shooters but once in a while we play the same games

Last week I burned though Immortal Unchained , a 50 hour game, in 6 nights. I took a break from gaming this week but have 3 titles lined up

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Friend code for anyone interested in adding me:

SW-3162-6806-4612

Friend request sent!

This is mine for anyone who wants to add me:

8421 2595 3128

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

Sorry, Nintendo owns my ass. They creampied me, but instead of cum, it's really good games. 

Publicly expressing that Kirby and the Crystal Shards left an emotional impact on me that I can only find it within me to describe as “A game that reached into me, took hold of my heart and proceeded to mangle it, much to my delight” will more than likely earn mocking laughter and condescending dismissal, but I am obligated to at least acknowledge such for the sake of at least one reader’s potential amusement.

It's a pretty good game, I don't like it quite as much as some Kirby fans, but the power combining mechanic is so fun.  I think my favorite Kirby is Triple Deluxe for the 3DS.

And no, I have to admit I've never been emotionally impacted by a Kirby game.  To each his own!

I beat Crafted World yesterday.  I like that game!

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's a pretty good game, I don't like it quite as much as some Kirby fans, but the power combining mechanic is so fun.  I think my favorite Kirby is Triple Deluxe for the 3DS.

And no, I have to admit I've never been emotionally impacted by a Kirby game.  To each his own!

I beat Crafted World yesterday.  I like that game!

Any thoughts on Superstar? That seems to be a lot of folks’ favorite.

7 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Any thoughts on Superstar? That seems to be a lot of folks’ favorite.

Oddly enough I didn’t play it until 2002 or 3, but I liked it a lot at the time.  My nostalgic favorite is Kirby’s Dream Land 2 for Game Boy which I played the crap out of as a kid.

I  think the mechanics and level design for main line 2D Kirby were truly perfected with the trilogy of Kirby’s Return to Dream Land (Wii), Triple Deluxe (3DS), and Planet Robobot (3DS).  All three are the same basic formula and they’re as fun as Kirby gets for me!

Finally a Direct on Mario Maker 2.  I can't wait to play this!  I hope they give some details on the online infrastructure for this, and I hope they've made major improvements on the first one in that regard.

The sheer preciousness that is Link (as well as Aryll and Medli), exploring the seas and just seeing what I could come across (be it something story-crucial or just anything cool to explore. My only lament in hindsight is that the boat wasn't the most compelling companion. I was pretty much on my own as far as I was concerned.

Spoiler

But I still teared up just a smidge when Link reached out for the king at the end, had to leave him to drown. My tears were more out of empathy for Link and losing his boat-buddy-now-turned-human, but still. And yes, I'm setting 'spoilers' for a game that's over a decade old. 

So I love me some exploring and lovable characters to hang with, and hope there's a Zelda game where I don't feel lonely on a quest. 

50 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

So I love me some exploring and lovable characters to hang with, and hope there's a Zelda game where I don't feel lonely on a quest

Yooooo, I think you might like Twilight Princess a lot. It's the most non-Nintendo feeling Zelda (it feels like it could've been released on the PS2), but after a slow start it has the most fully-realized characters in the series, with a very sassy companion. Yeah, I think you'll like it.

Lonely on a quest is definitely the name of the game with Zelda, but don't underestimate how lovable/memorable the characters in Ocarina of Time are!  I certainly have fond memories of Saria and Darunia, and even minor ones like Mido and Talon.

I'm sure Nick has some "Ocarina is bad, actually" hot take, but I still think it's a great game 20+ years later!

8 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

So upon Wind Waker being my first Zelda experience, what would ya'll most recommend next once I'm in a Zelda mood again? 

Well, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks for the 3DS are direct sequels with the same graphic style.  No other games in the series look the same.

This Direct had everything I wanted and more!  LOOKS AWESOME!!!

It does look amazing.  The online looks much improved, with tags and an advanced search.

The one thing I really wanted to see there wasn't featured though.  The first Maker had the ability to follow specific creators, which wasn't shown here but I assume is returning, but what I always wanted was a social media style feed of levels created by people you follow in descending chronological order.  It wouldn't be *huge* deal if they didn't do that, but it'd be a really nice feature nonetheless.

BTW @Jay did you know that the creator of Celeste, Matt Thorson, was an active creator in the first Super Mario Maker?  I followed him early on in 2015 and his levels were always super interesting, as you'd expect.  He's very likely to continue creating in Maker 2.

OOoh, I think I did learn that once before,  but had forgotten again!  In fact, I think I (somehwat) recently saw on the SMM subreddit that he had posted some new levels post-Celeste, I think.

I'll have to fire up my Wii U and check em out!

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Any news on if Kondo is doing the bulk work here again? His arrangements and originals for the first one were just great, and I was so happy to see his first primary composer credit since what at that time was 13 years.

You should watch the video!  It's really cool and also confirms Kondo by name.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Any news on if Kondo is doing the bulk work here again? His arrangements and originals for the first one were just great, and I was so happy to see his first primary composer credit since what at that time was 13 years.

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19550-video-game-music/&do=findComment&comment=1614071

I’ve played SPM! I enjoy the story and music (not to mention any opportunity to play as Peach) but the actual game...eeeugh. I found using the Wii remote sideways rather unpleasant. 

I particularly recall loving the final boss music, and the music for when you die and go to the Mario equivalent of Hell. 

21 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I’ve played SPM! I enjoy the story and music (not to mention any opportunity to play as Peach) but the actual game...eeeugh. I found using the Wii remote sideways rather unpleasant. 

I particularly recall loving the final boss music, and the music for when you die and go to the Mario equivalent of Hell. 

Ohhh, for some reason I thought you didn't play it. Was that a recent-ish thing?

Nah, I played it as a tyke. In general, I don’t have much desire to revisit the Wii library. Motion controls, having to keep buying batteries for the remote...no thanks. I’ll always treasure the Galaxy games, at least. Even if I very much wish I could play them with a regular wired controller.

5 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Why doesn't Breath of the Wild have any cats? Did they not want to crowd the Wii U era with cats, what with Super Mario 3D World and all? 

Twilight Princess has an extended sequence that revolves around a cat!  It has dialogue and everything! ;)