What HAVE you seen Williams conduct in concert?

JCM

I thought after my post in the topic about choosing music, it would be interesting to think about what I have heard Williams conduct live, and I just thought I'd share with everyone!

I don't have the programs with me (I'm at my apartment in West Chester, not at my home in Jersey)...but i'll do my best..

First concert I went to was at the end of the summer season at Tanglewood, and Williams conducted the entire night. Off the top of my head, I remember:

-The Cowboys Overture

- Flying Theme

- A suite from Porgy and Bess (I believe this and another piece featured violinist Joshua Bell)

- Main theme from Star Wars

- Raiders March

- Stars and Stripes Forever

That's not much of a memory...but hey, it was like 5 years ago ;)

Next three times I saw him were at Tanglewood on Parade where he only conducted a few pieces each time.

The first time I can't remember what he did. I Don't think it was anything particularly noteworthy (unlike the next two years)

The second time was the concert premier of new music from Star Wars Episode I. Including:

- Main Theme

- Anakin's Theme

- The Flag Parade

and then I think he might have done Raiders March

The last time at Tanglewood (I have the program for this one in my room...it's framed cause it's autographed :) )

Three Tableaux from "The Unfinished Journey"

I. Immigration and Building

V. Civil Rights and the Women's Movement

VI. Technology and Flight

This was done with the movie playing on a large screen above the orchestra, and two narrators (actors, whose names escape me)

The most recent time I saw him was at Symphony Hall last year for his 70th birthday concerts. I went the second night, and the program included:

Centennial Olympic Theme

Fiddler on the Roof

ET Adventures on Earth

Hook

The Reivers(with narration)

The Mission Theme

Schindlers List

Jaws

Imperial March

Across the Stars

Main Theme from Star Wars

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Stars and Stripes Forever

not sure if there was one or two more...this is all I can remember at the moment.

So that's it...Girlfriend got us free tickets to go to the Mann Center to see him July 15th, so I'm hoping to get to add a lot of new music to this list...CMIYC, Harry Potter, who knows!

What about all of you? :(

-JCM

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been to a concert of film music in my entire life as yet, and therefore John Williams' is no exception. I would like for circumstances to be towardly if possible for I'm getting ready for the LONDON February 16-20, 2005's John Williams' concerts and I hope all goes well and maestro is as fit as ever. After that my book of dreams to yet come true will have its biggest one happened.

ROTFLMAO

Does he ever come to Europe to give a concert. Besides the concerts that he will give in London at the end of the recording session of Star Wars episode III in somewhat 2005?

In Cleveland last year I saw him conduct:

*Sound the Bells!

*Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind (similar suite to Greatest Hits)

*Selections from American Journey (Immigration and Building, Popular Entertainment, Civil Rights Movement)

*Two Pieces from Angela's Ashes (Main theme and Angela's Prayer)

*Adventures on Earth

*Flight to Neverland

*Selections from Far and Away (the opening of County Galway and the End Credits)

*Suite from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Hedwig's Theme, Quidditch, Numbus 2000, Harry's Wondrous World)

*Across the Stars (Love Theme from Attack of the Clones)

*Main Title from Star Wars

Encores:

*Raiders March

*The Mission Theme

*The Stars and Stripes Forever (I was hoping for Superman :) )

Ray Barnsbury

Weren't you lucky, Ray? They took a picture of you and the maestro bending down to reach for your hand and he even performed a selection from Far and Away which I think, correct me if I'm mistaken, isn't a recurring regular at his concerts. How did you manage so much?

:)

For now I only remember Star Wars and Arlington. For Star Wars John invited the original 1977 LSO trumpeter to play first trumpet again. It was a touching moment but, to be honest, he couldn't play the high note anymore (In 1977 Williams praised him for it). But the band played on.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Weren't you lucky, Ray? They took a picture of you and the maestro bending down to reach for your hand and he even performed a selection from Far and Away which I think, correct me if I'm mistaken, isn't a recurring regular at his concerts. How did you manage so much?

:)

Thanks, Roman. I talked to him about a week or so before the concert, and finally convinced him to play Far and Away and be there for me to get a picture with. He can be stubborn sometimes; you have to know how to weasel him into doing what you want.

Ray Barnsbury

I saw JW conducting the London Symphony Orchestra back in June of 1996 in the Barbican Centre London.

Friday 28 June

Summon the Heroes

Cowboys Overture

Music from JFK

* Theme

* Motorcade

* Arlington

Imperial March from TESB

Music from Star Wars

* Princess Leia's Theme

*Main Title

March from Superman

Excerpts from CEot3K

Theme from Jurassic Park

Theme from Schindler's List

Adventures on Earth from E.T.

Encore:

Raiders March

man, that was a great time. Unforgettable, especially because after the concert I was able to get a signature from the maestro.

I hope I'm able to repeat this experience in London 2005.

Mythos, that was the concert I was talking about, two replies earlier. It was there where I bought my copy of Summon the Heroes.

Thanks for the complete list. I have no memory for such things.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I've been lucky enough to attend Williams-conducted concerts for every one of the past six years. Ahh, the benefits of living in Boston. Four out of six of those concerts, I've stayed behind to meet JW in person and shake the man's hand (though I dont think he remembers me...). Needless to say, for the past 4 years, I have not washed my right hand once...

Its hard to remember exactly what was on the program of each concert, but I'll think of some highlites.

-There was a suite from Star Wars, featuring accompanying visuals, which included music taken from the Mynok Cave scene (which he did before the ESB Special Ed came out, so I think I must have fainted in paroxysms of sheer ecstacy when he played that cue which I had hitherto never heard on recording).

-There were the wonderful concert premiers of Star Wars Ep I and Ep II, respectively, which triggered immense applause, of course. And hearing the grand concertized version of the Flag Parade for the first time was quite something.

-There was the amazing suite he concocted for the Patriot in which he expanded the beautiful love theme from that movie. I have never heard anyone else mention this, and there is no recording to my knowledge, which makes that one time experience of hearing it live all the more special.

-At the most recent concert I attended, he did something truly amazing when first he walked the entire audience through the circus train sequence of Indy II, w/o sound, and then played the Boston Pops like a Hollywood Studio Orchestra, hitting each punch perfectly. Not only was it a revealing experience for someone who has always been an Indy fanboy, and is fascinated with the film-scoring process, but he played all the unreleased music (well, legally) as well, right up to the point where Indy runs off from the caboose. Hopefully, Evening @ Pops will show this segment of the concert when they televise it!

Of course, every concert w/ JW is great, and that includes the music he didnt pen himself as well. I have been extremely lucky to attend them all, and hope to continue into the future.

Now, back into my relative silence.

My favorite live John Williams experience was Duel of the Fates. It was so much darker and more overwhelmingly evil live. The Tanglewood Chorus and the BSO Brass with the BSO Hall made it sound much more timeless and powerful than on the recording. Also, Harry Potter Suite at BSO Hall was a real ear opener.

But now that I think about it, by far the best experience was Williams Cello Concerto and Rosewood at Tanglewood. Not the concert but the rehearsal. I sat near Williams and could hear all his comments and suggestions about how to play it the way he had in his mind. I remember him saying "those violins are a forte so they should come in much hotter." "Those brass notes should be bell tones"(meaning die out like a bell) "The cellos and the violins should be very preciso here." It was amazing to see it all hapening before my eyes. Especially Rosewood because I knew it was the first time the BSO played those notes. It was a learning experience. I'll go back to see it again when he rehearses Elegy at Tanglewood this summer. I suggest it more than the concert.

Mythos,  that was the concert I was talking about, two replies earlier. It was there where I bought my copy of Summon the Heroes.

Thanks for the complete list. I have no memory for such things.

----------------

Alex Cremers

That's right! Aaahh what a concert that was! ROTFLMAO

Did you go to the 1998 concerts with two different programmes aswell?

-Tim

When I saw him in Pittsburg this June, I really appreciated "Across the Stars" much more than I had just hearing it on CD. Same can be said for "Fawkes the Phoenix" cue from his Harry Potter Suite (I loved hearing that especially Harry's Wonderous World-WICKED!). I also had a chance to shake his hand after the concert and spoke to him albeit briefly about his score to The Accidental Tourist (a CD which I asked him to sign and which sparked our conversation).

But now that I think about it, by far the best experience was Williams Cello Concerto and Rosewood at Tanglewood.

I meant Heartwood, although Yo Yo did play Rosewood that night.

I atteended the London July 98 concerts, 2 programs..

Sound The Bells,

Far & Away excerpts ( County Galway and end credits) Wow he reall loved conducting this, John was dancing his heart out on the podium!!!)

Born On teh 4th July, The Vietnam piece and the theme (same as the suite he released with the Reivers and The Red Pony, minus The Early days,

3 pieces from Star Wars, The Asteroid Field, Luke & Leia and Throne Room Wow!!!

The Lost World Theme,

The Devil's Dance

CE3KExcerpts

Sabrina Theme (for violin and orchestra)

Schindler's List theme, (the most beautiful version I've heard performed by a babe violinist!!!

ET; Adventures on Earth,

Encores;

Hell's Kitchen from Sleepers...thsi was teh highlight of teh night for me, it sounded incredibly powerful....has he performed it since????

Raiders March

And maybe Throne Room again,,,,,but i can't quite remember now. I'll check my dairy!!

2nd Programme

Celebrate Discovery

Cowboys Overture

JFK Suite; Prologue / motorcade / Arlington

Tuba Concerto

Liberty Fanfare

The Reivers Suite with naration

Olympic Fanfare and Theme (beginning with the arnould piece)

encores;

Schindlers List

Raiders March

and Throne Room,

My first and so far only williams concerts, (plus I attended a rehearsal for the 2nd programme)

And what a long wait it was waiting the 4years from first hearing Sound The Bells and Celebrate discovery until their official Cd release!!!

oops how do i edit the above post??? I do know how to spell, but my fingers get muddled up teh = thet thsi=this etc etc you get the idea (I hope)

Look for the word edit above the post you want to edit.

It is easy. But you need to be logged in.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I was at Tanglewood for two years and he conducted at least one

week each year. His favorite classical work is probably Stravinsky's Firebird. I think he conducted the bassoon concerto too. He isn't the most refined looking conductor but he gets the job done.

Kevin