ROTK trailer is here!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AWESOME!

- Marc, downloading now!

EDIT:

I'm turning this into one post, because I'm so friggin' excited I can't stop posting and don't want to flood the board with my three-word stuff.

I think the server might be a bit busy. Can't get through. Dang.

- Marc, who really really really wants to see this.

It's coming... It's coming...

- Marc, shaking in his seat.

It's here.

- Marc.

COOOL!!! Looks like a bit of the preview that'll be on the TTT DVD.

- Marc, still drooling.

Oh boy. I'm gonna have a hard time transcribing this movie...

- Marc, who will watch this bit over and over and over and over again.

I was just in time. New Line has asked TORn to remove the links and so they did. Thanks for the heads up, Marian! By the way, what happened to your avatar of the esteemed professor Tolkien?

- Marc, who is putting a lock on his file. :)

So much for that trailer. At the request of New Line Cinema, it has already been removed from the site. Thankfully, I got to see it in time.

Ted

i've had nightmares about missing something like this and now i have!! did anyone happen to save the link? :cry: :cry:

Real Audio worked for me,

but i think i need to watch it again. i don't think i caught everything in the trailer if i didn't really care for it. . .which i didn't.

I don't know why I didn't like it. I just seemed kind of blah. Maybe I didn't catch something. I thought for sure there'd be. .I don't know. . .more pain or something.......i liked the very beginning with Pippin and Merry but then it kind of went down hill. I'll watch it again, maybe third times the charm.

This is the movie I am anticipating the most, yet after watching the trailer, my excitement was somewhat decreased...maybe wanted to stick with the mystery until I could see a theatrical trailer instead.

I absolutely can not wait (of course I have to) for ROTK, I think I will probably bawl all the way through it. I sure do hope they do a great job with Sam in this movie. But I have to agree, perhaps passing judgement after the theatrical trailer is out will be better.

Looks great, hopefully as good as FOTR!

Considerably better still, very likely - as you'd know if you read more than one word per day. :P

-

I somewhat agree that there isn't that much great stuff in the trailer. But it still got me excited because what little there was looks great (favourites: Gandalf and Pippin on Shadowfax, Gollum talking to his mirror image), and I don't doubt all the stuff they DIDN'T show will look just as great - SPOILERS after all, they didn't show Saruman's defeat, Denethor and his pyre (or even Denethor himself), Minas Morgul, Eowyn and the Witch King, Sam in Cirith Ungol, Shelob, the Mount Doom climax, Sauron's Mouth and Gandalf's despair, the Field of Cormallen and Aragorn's coronation, and of course the Grey Havens....unless PJ completely lost it, there's no way ROTK won't be at least as good as FOTR and TTT together.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Gandalf's chess line in the trailer, and the Rohirrim battle cry.

Marian - who'd watch TTT, but a friend has my DVD... :)

:cool: The Planets (Holst)

Considerably better still, very likely - as you'd know if you read more than one word per day. :cool:

I read a chapter in a day, just that day comes rarely. :)

That trailer looked like it was comprised of clips of the previous film.

Ray Barnsbury-who thought the same about The Matrix Revolution trailer

Ohh, but it's not. :cool: It looks like a return to what made FOTR so special, that TTT lacked. All these desparing character scenes and more.

I'm sure the movie will be good, maybe great, but I'm just not excited about it, and the trailer certainly didn't change that.

It just seems like more of the same stuff from the first two movies. There doesn't seem to be anything new coming, but of course that's just going off a two minute trailer.

I'm afraid I know how they'll handle Saruman, and I'm still not too happy with that. As for the rest, pretty much everything of it will have to be included in the movie, even though it seems we won't get Beregond and his son. I was afraid they'd leave Minas Morgul out (one of my favourite parts), after it didn't show up on Faramir's map in TTT, but I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that it was filmed. I could imagine that we'll have to wait for the extended DVD version for that though....we'll see.

Ohh, but it's not. :( It looks like a return to what made FOTR so special, that TTT lacked. All these desparing character scenes and more.

It's not a return to anything. How many times do I have to tell you to read the books to understand? :P FOTR was amazing, TTT was great in different parts, not as great overall but still great. ROTK is a combination of both, but at the same time topping both.

Marian - who doesn't think TTT is lacking much that could have been there.

It just seems like more of the same stuff from the first two movies. There doesn't seem to be anything new coming, but of course that's just going off a two minute trailer.

Well, it obviously wouldn't make much sense to make the third part completely different from the other two - it's just one big story after all. (And looking at Tolkien's writings as a whole, LOTR is only the end of many much longer stories anyway). But there's plenty of new stuff coming, and of course the whole story is moving towards its climax. Criticizing it for looking very similar to the first two parts is a bit like criiticizing any movie for having similarities in the first and the second half. :(

I agree there Marian,

but on Saruman, care to share in a PM? I've talked to Stefan about this too...... He said there's no scouring

Ren that's so mean, shame on you! :nono::P Also, Steef is very much correct on the scouring info. TORn had a report a while back about all that's been cut.

Wael you can still download the trailer here. TORn didn't really remove it, you just have to know where to look.

It's not a return to anything. How many times do I have to tell you to read the books to understand?  FOTR was amazing, TTT was great in different parts, not as great overall but still great. ROTK is a combination of both, but at the same time topping both.  

If it's a combination of both, then it sounds pretty good. It's a return to some of at least FOTR. :nono:

Marian - who doesn't think TTT is lacking much that could have been there.

Then it's Tolkien's fault for not writing a middle that that works as a movie. :P

For one thing, yes, it's harder to translate TTT into a movie I guess. The cross-cutting from Helm's Deep to Fangorn doesn't work too well, but what can you do. In the books, having the two storylines blocked in non-chronological order works great, but you can't do that in a movie.

Regarding the overall feel, I wouldn't call it a fault or anything that TTT is missing some of the aspects of FOTR. With Tolkien, I find it hard to criticize something like that at all, since the way his story runs, it seems to be the "natural order" of things, it's seems less of where he wanted the story to go than where it had to go. Well, of course he could have written it completely differently, but as a whole, I really wouldn't want anything to be changed.

But there necessarily is no Shire, Gandalf the White is more of a leader than of a friend in the beginning, there's this huge battle - many of the things I liked about FOTR just can't be in TTT. It has other advantages though. And it does have its share of emotional moments...by the time Helm's Horn sounds, I usually have difficulties seeing the screen. :nono:

he never meant it to be a movie, and so it is not his fault.

Hence the wink.

In the books, having the two storylines blocked in non-chronological order works great, but you can't do that in a movie.  

It works fine in Return of the Jedi. :nono: I haven't read TTT, but I'm just saying it might be a great read, but it doesn't work that well as a movie and lacks emotional moments and a score that's as perfect in the film (although, FOTR score is less successful on CD).

It works in ROTJ because that's been written that way. TTT has been written with two blocked storylines.

I think FOTR's score is more successful on CD, perhaps because of better sequencing. In the movie, both are very sucecssful. You just have to accept the differences.

It works in ROTJ because that's been written that way. TTT has been written with two blocked storylines.

Can you explain the difference better?

I think FOTR's score is more successful on CD, perhaps because of better sequencing. In the movie, both are very sucecssful. You just have to accept the differences.

No, FOTR score expands the emotions already present with amazing success, TTT either doesn't have much to work with or is not successful in expanding the emotions.

I think TTT works remarkably well with the score. I mean Forth Erolingas is just amazing and it is just a brilliant embodiment of Rohan and Shadowfax. I have to agree with Marian, the score wets my eyes a dab. There are just certain parts in the movie that all I can hear is the score and it is just amazing - I love Samwise the Brave, it just completely sums up the character and the shire and the fellowship. All of the clips of Rohan's themes throughout the score are excellent in that they have a regal yet 'must do what we must do' feeling. it's great. So I'd have to disagree Morn, TTT's score is so full of emotion. Emotion that is mirrored in the movie, and taken from the book.

Indeed. There's a lot of emotion in the film. There's far more to TTT the movie than you'd think. A lot of stuff seems to be put in there by PJ and crew, like little character changes and stuff, and might be overlooked because everyone expects it to be the book translated directly to the screen, like most of FotR was. But there's a lot of layers in it, like Aragorn deciding to do a kamikaze at Helm's Deep, just before he thinks of Gandalf, and Sméagol actually turning back to the good side in Osgiliath during Sam's monologue, or Elrond making the decision to help Mankind. It's little moments, and things in the actors' looks that make up those things, but it works great if you really know where to look. I think the EDE will shed more light on some of those subjects.

- Marc, who can't wait for more LotR. :nono:

Can you explain the difference better?

If I understand Marian here, he means that Return of the Jedi was written as a movie, that's why it works on-screen (of course that is debatable, but I won't let opinion get in the way). It was always intended to be a film. The Two Towers was not originally envisioned to be a film, so the writing style of the book was a little looser with things. This style doesn't translate well to a film presentation.

Neil

That's what I meant, though it goes even further. TTT consists of books 3 and 4 of LOTR. One of the books is the Frodo/Sam storyline, the other is again split in two parts, one for Merry/Pippin, the other for Aragorn/Legolas/Gimli (+Gandalf). Tolkien never "cuts" from one storyline to the other, he tells one part, then he tells the other part, then he tells the third part. That's why the cuts from the Helm's Deep battle to Fangorn and the Entmoot are somewhat annoying and anticlimatic - these things just happen at the same time, but that was no problem in the book because they weren't told at the same time.

So sayeth Neil, huge LOTR/FOTR/TTT/ROTK fan ROTFLMAO  :mrgreen:  :micro:  :folder:  :fouetaa:  :)  :pukeface:  :eek:

You left out Return of the Jedi fan, too. ;)

Neil - who thinks all of the above hit the fan

I got the trailer last night from the link that UCFKevin pointed to, it downloaded fine, and for only about 30 megs (on 56k, it took all evening) it the quality wasn't too bad, but I'll be happier when a higher resolution and slightly more revealing trailer is released. Like the trailer to TTT that showed the Oliphaunts.

I would watch this site http://jurassicpunk.com/index.shtml to see when they have ROTK trailers, that's the site I get my movie trailers.

I have to agree with Marian there, I think the way the book is split up works well on the page, and I think PJ has done a tremendous job in recreating the atmosphere and characters on the screen. So the story goes along a bit differently than the books. I think PJ's biggest concern is actually sticking to the character's personality and the essense of the world, rather than a page by page production.

Nonono, I meant what HAPPENS in this upcoming LOTR flick seems to have happened in the first two movies, that's how it seems like or looks like there's nothing new happening.

Anyway.

I REALLY think that when a movie requires the reading of the book it's based on to truly appreciate and understand it better, that's a sign of weakness. Movie should NEVER have required reading, they should be able to stand on their own.

True. But I think very few movies based on books come close to the books, but when they're good, knowing the books might make them even better.

Marian - who can't tell how good the LOTR movies are when you don't know the books, but knows that there's plenty of "new" stuff in part three. :)

Actually, generally knowing the books makes the movies worse.

The Jurassic Park flicks are almost NOTHING like the books.

Although, the only instance the movie was better because of knowing the book was "Big Trouble." I had read the book like a week before it came out and there were SO many moments in there for the book readers, specifically the "In The Air Tonight" by Phil Collins moment. I nearly DIED Laughing because of that.

Actually, generally knowing the books makes the movies worse.  

The Jurassic Park flicks are almost NOTHING like the books.

Yes. That's why I referred particularly to the "good" movie adaptions. I still rather like the first JP movie, but compared to the book it's really bad.

Marian - who is annoyed by more and more things everytime he watches it.