Cowboy Bebop

Evil-Link

Cowboy Bebop Poll  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best/your favorite character?

• Spike Spiegel
    • Jet Black
    • Faye Valentine
    • Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV
    • Ein
    • Vicious
    • Julia
    • Lin
    • Shin
    • Annie
    • Gren
    • Andy
    • Rocco
    • Chessmaster Hex
    • Vincent
    • Elektra
    • Mad Pierrot
    • "Twinkle" Maria Murdock
    • Laughing Bull
    • Victoria "V.T." Terpsichore
  2. 2. What is the best/your favorite session?

• Asteroid Blues
    • Stray Dog Strut
    • Honky Tonk Women
    • Gateway Shuffle
    • Ballad of Fallen Angels
    • Sympathy for the Devil
    • Heavy Metal Queen
    • Waltz for Venus
    • Jamming with Edward
    • Ganymede Elegy
    • Toys in the Attic
    • Jupiter Jazz (Part 1+2)
    • Bohemian Rhapsody
    • My Funny Valentine
    • Black Dog Serenade
    • Mushroom Samba
    • Speak Like a Child
    • Wild Horses
    • Pierrot le Fou
    • Boogie Woogie Feng Shui
    • Cowboy Funk
    • Brain Scratch
    • Hard Luck Woman
    • The Real Folk Blues (Part 1+2)
    • Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door (The Movie)

How often have you rewatched it?

What are your favorite sessions, characters and music?

I didn't add the music question to the poll, because there are much more titles than 25 and I couldn't choose which ones to include and which ones not. 

I've not yet seen any non-Ghibli anime that was my cuppa tea.  I've seen Akira, Ghost in the Shell, a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop, and some other random stuff over the years.  Not for me.

22 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've seen Akira, Ghost in the Shell, a few episodes of Cowboy Bebop, and some other random stuff over the years.  Not for me.

I tried to watch Akira some years ago and... I didn't get it. Really, I saw the movie and I was like "What the heck am I watching?".

I can understand why this movie is so influent over a lot of Hollywood's sci-fi flicks, but, as you said, it was not for me.

Ghost in the Shell I saw only the remake, and I thought it was horrible.

12 hours ago, Evil-Link said:

Oh, it's so good. 

Did you hear that Yoko Kanno is releasing an expanded soundtrack for the Netflix series sometime in the next few weeks? While the series was lacking, the music was awesome.

Sure is. An indelible part of my youth (had a friend who got both the film and the soundtrack CD in the early 90s, so I first experienced it through him).

4 hours ago, StarFox said:

Did you hear that Yoko Kanno is releasing an expanded soundtrack for the Netflix series sometime in the next few weeks? While the series was lacking, the music was awesome.

Didn't heard about it no, I have only watched the first few episode of the netflix series, but I didn't liked it. Found this series really unnessasry... but I will check out the soundtrack. (Y):)

5 hours ago, StarFox said:

You can pre-order it here. I can't wait to get my copy.
https://milan-records.myshopify.com/collections/featured-releases/products/preorder-cowboy-bebop-soundtrack-from-the-netflix-original-series-2x-lp

Kanno's Music is the only good thing about the Netflix Live action reboot.
The Japanese edition of the original score has a few extra tracks compared to the American release too.
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/SRML-1037

I own the blu-ray box of the anime show. I think I've watched it 3 or 4 times since it aired.
I love this show. it's such a love letter to Cinema and genres.
The first episode not being that good, it takes some effort to get into.

I have all the released albums and cd sets that exist I think. The 5CD collector box is a real gem, loaded with alternate and unreleased tracks.

40 minutes ago, Evil-Link said:

It's a long time since I watched it, but I liked it back then. What are you thoughts about Bebop?

Ive only seen it once long ago in the back of my Scout Master’s van in honestly maybe the year 2003 at the latest. Ive been meaning to give it a rewatch. When I do, I’ll definitely make sure to post about it

4 hours ago, Steffromuk said:

https://milan-records.myshopify.com/collections/featured-releases/products/preorder-cowboy-bebop-soundtrack-from-the-netflix-original-series-2x-lp

The Japanese edition of the original score has a few extra tracks compared to the American release too.

I own the blu-ray box of the anime show. I think I've watched it 3 or 4 times since it aired.

I have all the released albums and cd sets that exist I think. The 5CD collector box is a real gem, loaded with alternate and unreleased tracks.

Asteroid Blues is great, it does such a good job of introducing the viewer to the Bebop Universe, the episode pacing and music is excellent and it’s nice to show the relationship Spike and Jet have before introducing Faye and Ed to the mix.

Ignore these squares :P

I watched all of Cowboy Bebop including the movie fairly recently and I absolutely loved it. Ended up binging so much of Shinichiiro Watanabe's work afterwards as a result, the way he's able to mix genres to create something so potent, universal and novel is truly mesmerising. His ability to incorporate music into the very identity of his shows is also very impressive and makes for a striking experience each time.

Bebop is still probably my favourite overall though, I can't think of many pieces of media that are targeted at the 30-40 year old demographic and look at what it's like when you're past your prime but still having to live in the world whilst being unable to let go from the past. It executes that thematic goal so flawlessly and so holistically as it's present across all of our main characters except deliberately with Ed who is anachronistic in that sense but understandably so given they're the embodiment of naive innocence

The ending of the show utterly destroyed me and I was on the absolute edge of my seat for that entire two parter, but I have to give my vote towards Jupiter Jazz. The setup with the old Native Indian mystic talking about the falling star gives a sense of spirituality to the whole episode, but when you realize what that falling star actually was at the end of that arc it hits so hard. I sat back listening to that absolutely beautiful saxophone swooning over the starry sky as it kept ascending, and then the tribal wailing kicked in and I was pretty much having a transcendent experience just sitting there for 8 minutes feeling the totality of mortality. Was the perfect ending to such an interesting but quietly tragic character. Makes me very angry at how that character was treated in the Netflix show.

On 05/11/2022 at 12:44 AM, Evil-Link said:

Didn't heard about it no, I have only watched the first few episode of the netflix series, but I didn't liked it. Found this series really unnessasry... but I will check out the soundtrack. (Y):)

As someone who watched the whole thing, you dodged a bullet. It got worse and ended in one of the worst cliffhanger finales I've seen in a while that is hilarious in retrospect given it was cancelled

On 06/11/2022 at 12:07 PM, DarthDementous said:

Ignore these squares :P

I watched all of Cowboy Bebop including the movie fairly recently and I absolutely loved it. Ended up binging so much of Shinichiiro Watanabe's work afterwards as a result, the way he's able to mix genres to create something so potent, universal and novel is truly mesmerising. His ability to incorporate music into the very identity of his shows is also very impressive and makes for a striking experience each time.

Bebop is still probably my favourite overall though, I can't think of many pieces of media that are targeted at the 30-40 year old demographic and look at what it's like when you're past your prime but still having to live in the world whilst being unable to let go from the past. It executes that thematic goal so flawlessly and so holistically as it's present across all of our main characters except deliberately with Ed who is anachronistic in that sense but understandably so given they're the embodiment of naive innocence

The ending of the show utterly destroyed me and I was on the absolute edge of my seat for that entire two parter, but I have to give my vote towards Jupiter Jazz. The setup with the old Native Indian mystic talking about the falling star gives a sense of spirituality to the whole episode, but when you realize what that falling star actually was at the end of that arc it hits so hard. I sat back listening to that absolutely beautiful saxophone swooning over the starry sky as it kept ascending, and then the tribal wailing kicked in and I was pretty much having a transcendent experience just sitting there for 8 minutes feeling the totality of mortality. Was the perfect ending to such an interesting but quietly tragic character. Makes me very angry at how that character was treated in the Netflix show.

As someone who watched the whole thing, you dodged a bullet. It got worse and ended in one of the worst cliffhanger finales I've seen in a while that is hilarious in retrospect given it was cancelled

I agree with everything you wrote. Jupiter Jazz may be my favorite episode too, but there are so many good ones, it's hard to chose, Ballad of Fallen Angels, Waltz for Venus, Mushroom Samba, Pierrot le Fou, The Real Folk Blues ect. are all great! Cowboy Bebop is also my favorite work from Shinichiiro, but I also really like Samurai Champloo. 

On 05/11/2022 at 2:28 PM, Koray Savas said:

I started this show last year but never got around to finishing it.

Sympathy For The Devil is my favorite of the ones I’ve see.  

This is another great episode, why haven't you watched further?

On 04/11/2022 at 10:48 AM, Steffromuk said:

vinyl exclusive.... :crymore: