6m9 Revenge of the Sith vs (DVD Version)

enderdrag64

What is the difference exactly between 6m9 Revenge of the Sith and 6m9 Revenge of the Sith (DVD Version)?

I know that the former is the film cue and the latter is the concert suite found on the OST (Battle of the Heroes), but because they have so much in common I'm not sure what's actually distinct about them. 

Was the part that's the same recorded once with the concert suite additions recorded separately as inserts? Or was it two completely separate recordings?

@Manakin Skywalker's edit seems to just use the OST version for both, with the opening and ending removed for the film cue - but I'm not sure if that means they were definitely the same recording or if it just means the film cue is completely unreleased and that's the best alternative.

I'm sure some more knowledgeable people here can chime in on this 

I'm actually not 100% certain what the full situation is. As far as I'm aware, the non-DVD version (film version) is just the same selection of recordings as the album ("DVD") version, but with the different ending. I believe it's unclear how it was originally supposed to fit into the film, such as if the opening was meant to be omitted or not.

19 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The version of the film shown in theaters had the fanfare from the album instead of the war drums at the beginning but they changed it for the DVD 

I'm lying but it would be cool if they did that

That's not even the right cue! :lol:

7 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

That's not even the right cue! :lol:

Revenge of Sith is part of Anakin vs Kenobi duel right?

You may want to check the "If These Walls Could Sing" thread. @ragoz350posted this a little bit ago which may be helpful-

In fact, the sheet score matches this recording from the documentary. So, the case is this:

First, JW wrote the cue for the movie (6M9 Revenge of the Sith), where he also wrote the optional ending "for C.D.," which is just a long note after the last chord.

Then it seems that JW thought that wasn't enough and wrote a new intro and ending for this cue and called it the "D.V.D. Version". He added a slight variations of the BotH theme in the intro, and, as we understand it, this version was recorded. Then JW decided to abandon these variations and changed the orchestration. This may have been a separate insert, but we don't have the sheets of it, AFAIK.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, a future expansion would require four (!) versions of this cue! 

• Film cue in the film score presentation
  • The version in the end credits suite
  • The album version
  • The album version with an alternate opening, which we just heard today! 

On 17/12/2022 at 7:22 PM, Clockwork Angel said:

Are we sure the album version isn't the credits cue replacing portion of the actual cue?

Hmm originally I was going to say I didn't think this was the case because the parts that are different in the album version don't appear in the credits cue at all, and because I believed it was a rerecording, but now that I'm analyzing the waveforms it looks like the end credits cue isn't a rerecording it actually includes the exact same recording that Battle of the Heroes does, minus the opening and ending inserts:
image.png

image.png

To me it looks and sounds like exactly the same recording, except that the end credits cue actually features the film version ending, albeit not clean. Does this mean they tracked the film cue into the end credits piece? I admittedly haven't examined the sheet music in detail

Why was it called 'DVD Version' anyway and not 'CD version' or something? Was A Musical Journey being planned at the time to be included with the OST?