My local symphony is performing a Williams tribute concert tonight

TheAvengerButton

Currently in intermission. JFK was amazing. The tuba concerto was so good. The brass section is leaving a little to be desired here especially in the more fanfare-esque pieces but the rest of the orchestra is top notch, although I wish the percussion would hold back just a little as they overpower the rest of the orchestra.

What's "The Sorcerer's Stone" piece from the suite? There's no piece by that name in the official suite. Is it Voldermort?

39 minutes ago, TheAvengerButton said:

Currently in intermission. JFK was amazing. The tuba concerto was so good. The brass section is leaving a little to be desired here especially in the more fanfare-esque pieces but the rest of the orchestra is top notch, although I wish the percussion would hold back just a little as they overpower the rest of the orchestra.

did they play JFK trumpet piece or the 10+ minute suite?  

1 hour ago, pete said:

What's "The Sorcerer's Stone" piece from the suite? There's no piece by that name in the official suite. Is it Voldermort?

Forgive me, I'm not up to snuff on my knowledge of this score. I believe it was a compilation of the motif that plays when the Philosopher's Stone comes up in casual conversation throughout the film.

The concert piece "The Sorcerer's Stone" is published within the nine-movement Children's Suite. It's the Voldemort music, arranged for three bassoons by John Williams. The reference recording by the London Symphony Orchestra can be found in the 7-CD Harry Potter box.

12 hours ago, TheAvengerButton said:

The brass section is leaving a little to be desired here especially in the more fanfare-esque pieces but the rest of the orchestra is top notch, although I wish the percussion would hold back just a little as they overpower the rest of the orchestra.

This is the case with most concerts you go to, you can see around 30-50 people bowing and you can sometimes barely hear them. We are all so used to hearing Williams' music played in studios with multiple mic positions, the concert hall is rarely 'forgiving' for those kinds of balances we are used to hearing. 

7 hours ago, MovieMusicMaestro said:

The concert piece "The Sorcerer's Stone" is published within the nine-movement Children's Suite. It's the Voldemort music, arranged for three bassoons by John Williams. The reference recording by the London Symphony Orchestra can be found in the 4-CD Harry Potter box.

4-CD box?

16 hours ago, MovieMusicMaestro said:

The concert piece "The Sorcerer's Stone" is published within the nine-movement Children's Suite. It's the Voldemort music, arranged for three bassoons by John Williams. The reference recording by the London Symphony Orchestra can be found in the 7-CD Harry Potter box.

Yeah my first thought it was the Voldemort piece from the suite, and yeah listening to it now it's a mix of Voldemort's theme and the Sorcerer's Stone motive - that's probably why my first thought was that piece.. Just curious as to why the name of the piece was changed for the concert program. Weird! But I do think Sorcerer's Stone is a better title than Voldemort.