Mahler 5 in Clone Wars 4x16

crlbrg

1 hour ago, crlbrg said:

Unmissable Mahler in CW S04E16 Friends and Enemies. Is it normal for excerpts from the classical repertoire to be used in release versions of Clone Wars? Any other examples?

https://streamable.com/ov3ywl

I remember noticing this ages ago! Glad someone posted it.

7 hours ago, crlbrg said:

Unmissable Mahler in CW S04E16 Friends and Enemies. Is it normal for excerpts from the classical repertoire to be used in release versions of Clone Wars? Any other examples?

https://streamable.com/ov3ywl

Clone Wars as mentioned in other threads has blatantly reused music primarily from other films, but not as much classical music iirc. Although I do recall in one of the unfinished (Utapau arc) episodes they quoted Mars, The Bringer of War.

9 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Clone Wars as mentioned in other threads has blatantly reused music primarily from other films, but not as much classical music iirc. Although I do recall in one of the unfinished (Utapau arc) episodes they quoted Mars, The Bringer of War.

Will keep an eye out for that one when I get to that point!

Oh! That it is pretty blatant as well.

I have no idea up which point the unfinished episodes were developed, but was this possibly a temp track or something which would have made it to the final release? Is the rest of the episode temped?

1 hour ago, crlbrg said:

Oh! That it is pretty blatant as well.

I have no idea up which point the unfinished episodes were developed, but was this possibly a temp track or something which would have made it to the final release? Is the rest of the episode temped?

Nope, the unfinished episodes they released were all scored, but I do remember there being a lot of tracked music from older episodes as well. I can't recall if I remember hearing this is an earlier (finished) episode... 🤔

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Nope, the unfinished episodes they released were all scored, but I do remember there being a lot of tracked music from older episodes as well. I can't recall if I remember hearing this is an earlier (finished) episode... 🤔

The unfinished reels were definitely temped.

50 minutes ago, Hego-Damask-II said:

The unfinished reels were definitely temped.

Temped or tracked? It's been a while since I watched them, but it was all Clone Wars music as far as I can recall, which in that case would mean that it wasn't temped. You remember anything non-TCW that was used?

15 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Temped or tracked? It's been a while since I watched them, but it was all Clone Wars music as far as I can recall, which in that case would mean that it wasn't temped.

It couldn't have been temped with CW music?

On 04/05/2023 at 8:14 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Temped or tracked? It's been a while since I watched them, but it was all Clone Wars music as far as I can recall, which in that case would mean that it wasn't temped. You remember anything non-TCW that was used?

Fair enough. I suppose I assumed that it was temped as part of production, when it's more likely to have been tracked in after the fact for release (in a similar manner to the conceptual animatics from the prequels). And even if it was temped, I'm pretty sure the final score for the Bad Batch arc took no cues (haha) from it (5 years, among other things).

When I said temped, I was referring to it being a temporary placeholder, rather than being actual tracking for an episode's final form. In terms of temp tracks, that probably wouldn't completely fit the definition. In my head, I wouldn't preclude a cue from being considered an actual temp track guiding the final cue (I seem to recall there being at least one instance where that seemed to be the case), despite being from a previous season of the same show. I could be wrong though.

On 05/05/2023 at 3:22 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Yeah I distinctly remember that one too

Speaking of which, I was just flitting through the Crystal Crisis reel and found a section of music (uncertain if "original" or an earlier TCW cue) that must have originated as a temp of "The Death Star" from ANH.

On 07/05/2023 at 8:05 AM, Hego-Damask-II said:

When I said temped, I was referring to it being a temporary placeholder, rather than being actual tracking for an episode's final form. In terms of temp tracks, that probably wouldn't completely fit the definition. In my head, I wouldn't preclude a cue from being considered an actual temp track guiding the final cue (I seem to recall there being at least one instance where that seemed to be the case), despite being from a previous season of the same show. I could be wrong though.

Yeah that makes a lot more sense... I wouldn't be surprised if all of this music was temporary/tracked from earlier seasons. It might be, considering iirc the music in the Bad Batch episodes is completely different from the unfinished reels.

• 1 month later...

Watched Tár the other day which featured a good amount of Mahler 5. Interesting film and all, particularly the cinematography. Good cast and a refreshingly different style of film. Blanchett was great as always. :)

On 07/05/2023 at 3:48 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Yeah that makes a lot more sense... I wouldn't be surprised if all of this music was temporary/tracked from earlier seasons. I might be, considering iirc the music in the Bad Batch episodes are completely different from the unfinished reels.

Exactly!

• 8 months later...