Scorsese's Killers of the Flower Moon (Robbie Robertson)

Toillion

Who is going to go see Scorsese's new three and a half hour movie this weekend?! I finished reading the book today and am going to the theater to see it on Friday. I have a little extra excitement for this one because we have family farmland in northern Oklahoma have at least driven through some of the towns in the area.

I haven't really heard much about the score but I'm sure it'll fit the film nicely. The videos are up on YouTube if you're in the right timezone or have a vpn. 

YouTube overload! (and none of the videos work for me).

That being said, I saw the film earlier this week (in IMAX, which wasn't necessary, strictly speaking), and we talked a bit about it in the "General movie chat" thread already. I was not super impressed, but as I said there - I was never that big a Scorsese fan to begin with, largely due to the carpeting of dialogue. The three and a half hours really like FEEL like three and a half hours. But here and there are glimpses of a visually playful Scorsese -- like the opening montage, of sorts, that kicks off with a great slo mo image of Native Americans dancing in oil rain, complete with a great cue by the late, great Robbie Robertson (was this his last work, I wonder?).

Robertson's music has a definite presence throughout, in all its dusty, twangy blues Americana, and is one of the film's strengths. De Niro delivers in an understated, but powerful performance. Di Caprio chews a lot of scenery as the "village idiot", but is entertaining nonetheless. Lily Gladstone is great, and oozes silent authority -- she'll take home the supporting actress Oscar for this, I'm sure.

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

YouTube overload! (and none of the videos work for me).

Yeah, the videos should be available at midnight local time. I just used a VPN to connect to New Zealand to listen to a couple.

You really don't need to embed a ton of tracks for the same new score, especially where you're not commenting specifically about each one.  How about just a link to a playlist of them all, or a link to the itunes NZ entry where anyone in any region can hear samples of every track?

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/killers-of-the-flower-moon-soundtrack-from/1708206914

The lyrics in 'Still Standing' are pretty haunting in light of Robertson's recent death.

Maybe it's the frame of mind i was in - but the score was completely invisible to me. or inaudible. i mean of course i heard it. but it just faded entirely into the background and made zero impact on me. so from my point of view, the score isn't even worth commenting upon. I don't recollect a single note - and i usually have a good ear for these things.

the film is good but i'm a bit baffled by the overwrought praise.

I think that's a problem Scorsese has with a lot of his films. The only score of one of his films I can remember is The Age Of Innocence. 

The Aviator and Hugo are good, but not as memorable. Irishman, Silence, The Departed, Gangs Of New York. Don't rememember a not from them

15 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Maybe it's the frame of mind i was in - but the score was completely invisible to me. or inaudible. i mean of course i heard it. but it just faded entirely into the background and made zero impact on me. so from my point of view, the score isn't even worth commenting upon. I don't recollect a single note - and i usually have a good ear for these things.

It felt like an extension of The Irishman's non-score sound.  Music that doesn't add anything emotionally but keeps things moving along.   Both are great movies but not really musical showcases 

12 minutes ago, A24 said:

And who doesn't remember Cape Fear?!

Oh come one that one doesn't count

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Oh come one that one doesn't count

Sure it does. Scorsese might have opted the exchange Herrmann's original score for a collection of radio songs. You can thank your lucky stars that he didn't!