New recording of Williams' Violin Concerto No. 1

Miguel Andrade

On 18/2/2024 at 4:30 AM, Miguel Andrade said:

https://www.discogs.com/release/29790961-Bernstein-Williams-James-Ehnes-Saint-Louis-Symphony-Orchestra-Stéphane-Denève-Serenade-Violin-Conc

This might actual come from a live recording from November 2019, with Williams in attendance. If that's the case, the original concert line up included Barber's Adagio and Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony.

Of course, until more info is out, they might have the recorded the concerto during the rehearsals. 

Thanks for sharing this! It's nice that the first concerto still gets some attention. Although Discogs has pics of the album, it doesn't appear on Amazon or even Pentatone's website. Anyone have any luck finding it for sale?

3 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Thanks for sharing this! It's nice that the first concerto still gets some attention. Although Discogs has pics of the album, it doesn't appear on Amazon or even Pentatone's website. Anyone have any luck finding it for sale?

It's due for release at Amazon.de 26 April 2024.

https://www.amazon.de/Williams-Violinkonzert-Nr-1-Bernstein-Serenade

Also appears on Pentatone's official release schedule for 2024 https://issuu.com/pentatone/docs/pentatone_releases_2024_issuu - page 11.

image.png

Sadly, searching that document only brings up that 1 result...but it's great to have Williams on another label. Not sure, but I don't think there were any of his works on Pentatone.

image.png

Great news! Love this piece :)

That will be the 4th recording of it, right? I wonder if it will have any reworked passages, like the cello concerto...

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Yes, it is nice. But still another recording of the Viola Concerto, the Horn or the Clarinet Concerto would have been more welcome.

45 minutes ago, ChrisAfonso said:

Yeah, the viola concerto is in dire need of a good-quality recording.

Agree, the Viola Concerto definitely needs a decent recording. I'm quite a fan of the viola (Vagn Holmboe's viola concerto is well worth checking out and eminently listenable, perhaps more so than some of JW's concert works) so anything else to expand the repertoire is welcome. The existing recording of the horn concerto is pretty good but additional interpretations always welcome. I still haven't got the clarinet concerto recording given the negative comments about the recording.

By the way, his most recorded concerto remains the Tuba Concerto?

I think it might be the trumpet concerto now, I have 4 versions, 3 of the tuba concerto.

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The discography shows 8 versions of the tuba concerto: 

https://www.jwfan.com/discography/music/composer/concert.htm

Blimey! Quite a few of the more obscure ones clearly passed me by... I'm certainly glad to have more than the ASV one, which appears to have been the only available for some time. Having owned that version for a while, I recall seeing it performed in concert in London (JW conducting) and enjoying it a whole lot more than the ASV disc which is rather lethargic. I have the BIS and Naxos recordings, both of which are excellent.

Giving the viola concerto a spin now... the sound isn't bad, albeit clearly not mixed properly, but it's definitely a lot more accessible and immediately enjoyable than either of his violin concertos. You can pick out a lot more of his film music style too.

I only have the recording with Andreas Hofmeir on Tuba, which is a whole album of Tuba concertos and it is actually quite nice. But I think, I just listened twice to it, not more.

I only have the recording with Andreas Hofmeir on Tuba, which is a whole album of Tuba concertos and it is actually quite nice. But I think, I just listened twice to it, not more.

Definitely worth revisiting, although I think the average JW fan will enjoy the orchestral bits when the tuba isn't playing! 

I tend to only have one recording of a piece (that I'm pleased with) that I listen to. Maximum two. For the violin concerto, 90% of the time, I play the old Peskanov recording. The Gil Shaham, I've probably only played twice. But this particular work is covered for me, even if I applaud any new recording on principal grounds, of course.

As alluded to by Geratewohl above, I'm more anxious to get premiere recordings of unreleased works, or those that have bad recordings.

I listened to this concert live

On 18/2/2024 at 5:30 AM, Miguel Andrade said:

This might actual come from a live recording from November 2019, with Williams in attendance. If that's the case, the original concert line up included Barber's Adagio and Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony.

Of course, until more info is out, they might have the recorded the concerto during the rehearsals. 

Yes, I believe the concerto is from that concert (and discogs shows a recording window of Nov 2019). This was streamed on the St Louis local classical radio station on Nov 2 2019, the day after John Williams conducted the orchestra. I grabbed a recording of it at the time.  Although I think Deneve and Ehnes have played the concerto at other venues too but the is the one from that weekend.

https://www.slsostories.org/post/organ-symphony

The Bernstein piece is from a concert in January 2023:

https://www.slsostories.org/post/program-notes-bernstein-and-sibelius

Very cool this is officially coming out.