From Mexico to Hollywood: Golden Age Cinema : Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra concert curated by John Williams and Gustavo Dudamel - October 25 - 27, 2024

SyncMan

An exciting program, co-curated by John Williams and Gustavo Dudamel, pairs musical selections from the rich history of Mexican cinema with highlights from Hollywood’s silver screen.

https://www.laphil.com/events/performances/3003/2024-10-25/from-mexico-to-hollywood-golden-age-cinema

In a twist of events, Williams picks the Mexican choices and Dudamel the American.

On a serious note, I'm guessing the Williams selections are the same as the ones he recently curated for another concert.

JW: You need a better co-curator for this.

GD: I know, but...

JW: Ask Steven, please.

22 hours ago, Thor said:

In a twist of events, Williams picks the Mexican choices and Dudamel the American.

On a serious note, I'm guessing the Williams selections are the same as the ones he recently curated for another concert.

It does seem like they found a new marketing ploy with curation and are running with it.  

5 hours ago, BB-8 said:

JW: You need a better co-curator for this.

GD: I know, but...

JW: Ask Steven, please.

The song used as an inspiration for this cue is Brazilian rather than Mexican though. 

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

The song used as an inspiration for this cue is Brazilian rather than Mexican though. 

...and the Dude is from Venezuela.

The L.A. Philharmonic actually has a history of recording Mexican film music that far pre-dates Gustavo Dudamel succeeding Esa-Pekka Salonen. May I introduce you all to an awesome film score called La Noche de los Mayas, from which Salonen recorded a great suite in the 90s?

Dudamel did at least one movement with his Simon Bolivar orchestra:

So I think there's a pretty good chance this awesome score is a central part of this new program. But I would be even more interested if they did any other film music by Revueltas or other Mexican composers... not that long ago Naxos did do a premiere complete recording of his very first film score, Redes (Waves), paired with Copland's very first film score:

8.574350.jpg

Good stuff!

Yavar

53 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The L.A. Philharmonic actually has a history of recording Mexican film music that far pre-dates Gustavo Dudamel succeeding Esa-Pekka Salonen. May I introduce you all to an awesome film score called La Noche de los Mayas, from which Salonen recorded a great suite in the 90s?

Dudamel did at least one movement with his Simon Bolivar orchestra:

So I think there's a pretty good chance this awesome score is a central part of this new program. But I would be even more interested if they did any other film music by Revueltas or other Mexican composers... not that long ago Naxos did do a premiere complete recording of his very first film score, Redes (Waves), paired with Copland's very first film score:

8.574350.jpg

Good stuff!

Yavar

I've attended some of these and recall some real gems.  LA Phil is very, very supportive of young, unproven composers.  Was it the 100th anniversary year included 100 commissions, it was a few years ago so can't remember what the celebration was.  It's not unusual for a program with Dvorak to be paired with a world premiere and I don't think I've heard a failure.  Some have been outstanding and almost always by composers I've not encountered before, and I am an adventurous listener.  

It would probably be new acquaintances, whatever Dudamel chooses. From Mexico, I'm really only familiar with Revueltas, as Yavar mentions above, but I'm not familiar with any Venezuelan film composers at all.