A Question For The Jerry Goldsmith Fans Of The Forum...

A Question For The Jerry Goldsmith Fans Of The Forum...  

3 members have voted

1. 1. ...What is love?

• Love is the Bridge
    • Love is the Key

Love is clearly the key.

Although Jerry wrote the melody to A Star Beyond Time and Paul Williams wrote Flying Dreams. So maybe love is the bridge?

No, it's a lovely melody but a terrible song. It's the key.

Just now, GerateWohl said:

"My True Love's Eyes" is my favourite. 

Second probably "Ave Satani".

Absolutely agreed on those two! "It's a Long Road" is also high up there for me.

I think his main theme from Papillon is absolutely fantastic in song form. And it's not like I always think the lyrics to Goldsmith melodies are great, but there are plenty of Goldsmith melodies which just work really well in song form: The Last Run, or "Our Last Night" from The Don Is Dead, for example. It's not a *great* album or anything (I don't love all the performances), but that BSX Jerry Goldsmith Songbook disc still is evidence that "The Dark Song" from The Detective and especially "May Wine" from The Blue Max are great song melodies.

Oh hey, since you love "My True Love's Eyes" as I do, you may find this song "My Parents' Child" which he wrote for an episode of The Waltons to be of interest (this is not one of the six episodes he did the instrumental scoring for just FYI, but the episode's composer is adapting the song melody that Goldsmith wrote for the episode in pre-production):

The musical phrase that hits “tomorrow’s child” (and earlier “my parent’s child”) in this song reminds me very strongly of the “my true love’s eyes” musical phrase in, well, Jerry’s song of that same title from Legend. Anyone else hear it? It's almost like this song is the missing link between The Ballad of Cable Hogue's "Tomorrow Is the Song I Sing" and Legend. I'd love to hear a newly-recorded (and better performed) version of it some day on album.

Yavar

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't understand the question. 

6 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Love is the Bridge = Star Beyond Time = Star Trek: TMP

Love is the Key = Flying Dreams = Secret of: NIMH

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Vejur expects an answer.

An answer? I don't know the question!

That didn't stop Deep Thought.

13 hours ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Love is the Bridge = Star Beyond Time = Star Trek: TMP

Love is the Key = Flying Dreams = Secret of: NIMH

Glad someone could explain as I couldn't work out the other one as the YouTube clip isn't available. Have to admit that neither of them do much for me. Flying Dreams is the only bit about NIMH I don't like (else it's more or less a perfect score of Ravel-ian loveliness). The song is incredibly cloying, with sickly sweet lyrics and performance/production that only makes it worse. Best enjoyed as an unsung melody.

I had totally forgotten about A Star Beyond Time... the lyrics are pretty bad, but the the guitars and orchestra arrangement is actually pretty effective. Whereas the Flying Dreams arrangement makes the melody sound more syrupy, this one actually cuts through it. The only analogy I can think of is like adding acid to cooking... it enhances the flavour by making it a little less rich. So I hope that's helped.

Jerry's themes, a bit like JW's (of this sort... the lyrical, could be a song, type), are almost too rich and expressive on their own so adding words is very much a lily gilding exercise so it all too easily to descends into schmaltz.

21 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Vejur expects an answer.

An answer? I don't know the question!

Each of us, at some time in our lives, turns to a father, a brother, a JWfaner, and asks: "A choice between a crappy song and a not-so-crappy song? Is this all that there is? Is there nothing more?"

9 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Have to admit that neither of them do much for me. Flying Dreams is the only bit about NIMH I don't like (else it's more or less a perfect score of Ravel-ian loveliness). The song is incredibly cloying, with sickly sweet lyrics and performance/production that only makes it worse. Best enjoyed as an unsung melody.

This is 100% exactly how I feel about The Secret of NIMH. I think it's all wonderful... except for that damn song, which is cloying and obnoxious. Maybe not quite as bad as "I Want to Be a Sailor" in Miklos Rozsa's otherwise-wonderful score to The Thief of Bagdad, but it's up there.

Yavar

I'll be honest, with most scores, I tend to be perfectly fine with dropping the score's associated songs.

NIMH, though, is the exception.  Flying Dreams is as beautiful as the rest of the score, and I can't see myself ever listening to the score and skipping either of its iterations.  (It probably helps that I really only listen to it on special occasions.  I have plenty of other "comfort food" scores...  NIMH's a special treat that I don't want to over-listen to!)

A QQ regarding PATTON.

Is the score on the audio channel of the DVD (the channel on the documentary, on the second disc) complete. If not, what's missing?

It runs for approximately 32 minutes, which doesn't seem that long for a near three hour film.

Just wondering :)

"A model of economy and judicious spotting, the score clocks in at little more than a half hour in length"

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/22/Patton--The-Flight-of-the-Phoenix/

Judicious spotting is one of Jerry Goldsmith's trademarks. Only a handful of his scores don't fit on a single disc.

Yavar