Music at Universal Studios Entrance

MSM

I was at Universal Studios lately and heard this rousing music at the entrance of the park. I asked the staff what music it was since it sounded like Williams but nobody knew. It sounded exactly Williams style (sort of Hook vs. The Quidditch Match) but I didn't recognize it from any movie. Does anybody know what it is since I WANT TO HAVE IT!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I went in 2001 they had the music from Waterworld by James Newton Howard.

You should have been to Disneyland! Get on the Star Tours ride.

:) Horner Music from Apollo 13

Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

Erich Kunzel

No it wasn't Waterworld, they played that one at the Waterworld attraction.

(Yeah there are more things I would like to have been to, but did see a lot. I even looked for JW at the Walk of Fame but couldn't find him...) Lucky are those who happen to live in L.A.... :)

JW is not on the walk of fame, some of the composer and musicians in the classical world I found were Zino Francescatti, Max Steiner, Elmer Bernstein, Isaac Stern, Josha Heifetz, Arturo Toscanini, among others.

When I was at Universal Hollywood last year, my friend went over to the wall of E.T. dolls and and pushed the button on every hand of the dolls so that they all were playing the "Flying Theme". :)

Neil

I was at Universal Studios lately and heard this rousing music at the entrance of the park. I asked the staff what music it was since it sounded like Williams but nobody knew. It sounded exactly Williams style (sort of Hook vs. The Quidditch Match) but I didn't recognize it from any movie. Does anybody know what it is since I WANT TO HAVE IT!!!

Well,remember the E.T. ride music is exclusive Williams not in the film or soundtrack c.d.,a developpement of the flute theme that opens the film.

K.M.Who had some sucess restoring the MP3 with Audio Cleaning Lab 3.0.

Well,remember the E.T. ride music is exclusive Williams not in the film or soundtrack c.d.,a developpement of the flute theme that opens the film.

K.M.Who had some sucess restoring the MP3 with Audio Cleaning Lab 3.0.

There's no longer an E.T. ride as far as I saw at Universal. I would like to have the mp3 file of the music though! (although I think it's not the music at the entrance)

Universal closed down the E.T. ride in Hollywood, shamefully, but the Orlando ride is still open (for now, at least, until some idiot executive wants to spotlight some flash in the pan modern film that isn't even a Universal property...).

I wouldn't mind taking a listen to that cleaned up E.T. ride mp3 either (hint, hint--if I can be so rude) :music:

So that music is in danger of beeing forever lost and never heard again,why would they release it on a future theme park ride music compliation if there's no more ride.

and audio cleaning lab is pretty cool,you load a MP3 file or record a WAV file

from an oustide source then it analyses it and sets levels for the"dehisser","declicker","de-noiser",and de-crakcler" and a bunch of other stuff.

i had to re-import the E.T. file that was on a Minidisk,because my original MP3 was deleted somehow,so this might have been further degraded by all the transfers through the soundcard.I'd like to try it out on a fresher file....

it didn't work miracles,but there is an improvement.

I'll try it on For Serjii,and other bad sounding bootlegs,like that Satellite Celebration cue....

K.M.

A theme park music compilation release would be a great idea. They have one too from the biggest attraction park in The Netherlands.

Still I don't know what this entrance music at Universal is. Even no veteran who knows???

The music seemed to me to be more of a compilation. I heard themes from Shrek and the Terminator. But I also did hear a lot of Jurassic Park, and even E.T. I remember it pretty because I went to Universal Studios Hollywood for my Senior Trip in June.

MSM wrote:

A theme park music compilation release would be a great idea. They have one too from the biggest attraction park in The Netherlands.

quote]

Well that's not a bad Idea, but I'd rather have one from Disneyland. There's a lot of great movie rides with great music from Star Wars, and Indiana Jones among others. But if they do make this cd, I really want the "Soarin' over California" theme to be on there. Im not a big fan of Jerry Goldsmith, but this theme is amazing. So if you do go to Disneyland and California Adventure (where the ride is located) then I recommend you go on this ride.

The music seemed to me to be more of a  

Well that's not a bad Idea, but I'd rather have one from Disneyland. There's a lot of great movie rides with great music from Star Wars, and Indiana Jones among others. But if they do make this cd, I really want the "Soarin' over California" theme to be on there. Im not a big fan of Jerry Goldsmith, but this theme is amazing. So if you do go to Disneyland and California Adventure (where the ride is located) then I recommend you go on this ride.

those are available on c.d.,but the Star Wars and Indy pieces are just edited from parts of the scores we have,so why bother?

I'd like to hear the Goldsmith theme though.

K.M.

The music seemed to me to be more of a compilation. I heard themes from Shrek and the Terminator. But I also did hear a lot of Jurassic Park, and even E.T. I remember it pretty because I went to Universal Studios Hollywood for my Senior Trip in June.

So if you do go to Disneyland and California Adventure (where the ride is located) then I recommend you go on this ride.

Ok, I think you're right because I thought I heard a bit of the 1941 march as well. It was right after the piece I mean, so if we assume that they play the music in a fixed order, the music I mean should be just in front of the williams march. Someone who would like to go over there and listen for me? $ 10,- for the one who finds out what it is!!!

Next time I'm in LA I'll go check out the California adventure.

An official CD for Disney's California Adventure was released a while back. It includes the full score for the "Soarin' Over California" ride (~4:40) as well as an outstanding selection by Bruce Broughton for "Seasons of the Vine."

The full track listing can be found here.

The cheapest way to buy it is from the park; however, you can call Disneyland DelivEars at (800) 760-3566 to order the CD. Be prepared to spend a pretty penny for it, especially for shipping. IIRC I paid around $28 including shipping.

Amazon is also selling the Japanese import version of it here, but it's $37.99 plus shipping!!

• 1 month later...

I wrote a letter to Universal Studios and got a list of what is played at the entrance.

The piece I mean could well be Williams' Amazing Stories theme which I haven't heard before and hence didn't recognize.

• 7 months later...

It's been some months ago now and I still don't know what the particular piece is. The list I got from Universal Guest Relations is far from complete. I think it's odd that they don't know themselves what they play at the park's entrance.

But I still want to know what it is. I will reward $30,- to anyone who can provide me a complete list of the entrance music or can give me the name and composer of the particular piece.

Nope. I don't understand how Ernest Gold, who only really had one hit gets a star, but Williams doesn't.

NeejaHalcyon, I heard the music on the 20th of August 2003, around 5:45 p.m. and a day later around 8:45 p.m. I think they have a one hour soundtrack with 12 tracks or so which is looped. I don't think the tracks are played randomly.

I think you will immediately know which track I mean when you hear it. It plays for several minutes and it is fully orchestrated throughout the piece. It has a Cowboys Ouverture quality and the theme holds somewhere in between the major Hook themes and The Quidditch Match. It is very Williamsesque. I'm almost sure right after this piece Williams' Midway March is played.

If you can give me the (right) answer, the 30 bucks are yours. Good luck!

30 bucks...pffff...if it had been euro's....

Special offer: for Stefan it will be 30 euros. Go ahead Stefan! ;)

The piece I mean could well be Williams' Amazing Stories theme which I haven't heard before and hence didn't recognize.

From your description, it definitely sounds like the Amazing Stories theme. Click here then select one of the formats for Track 1. It's also possible that it's "The Landing" from the Amazing Stories episode "The Mission" (also featured on this disc).

And no, Joel McNeely didn't compose it, he merely conducted this particular recording.

Good luck!

Yes,MSN,have you heard all of Williams scores?Maybe it's something you never heard.Amazing Stories is a possiblity,the main theme is soaring like Hooh and E.T.

But the Main Theme is not the same as The Landing,though similar.

K.M.

Thanks for the suggestion guys, but I now have the amazing stories original and rerecording (thanx to chriscrusher) and they're not what I heard. However theré's a short heroic passage in The Landing which comes very close to the style.

No I have not heard all of Williams scores but certainly most of them and certainly all the major themes. And this was a major theme.

Btw: my name is MSM, those are my initials and have nothing to do with MSN.

Also not. I am familiar with most of Williams' music. But again, it was the same style of music. Please keep coming up with suggestions!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have some feeling it is probably not Williams after reading through this thread.

Have you heard all the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles? There are four volumes!

link

They are great, some episodes written by Laurence Rosenthal and some by Joel McNeely.

Volume Four is the one with "The Phantom Train of Doom" episode, though it could be any of the other volumes as well...

It's also possible the cue could be from Alan Silvestri, some things he has written definitely fit that description.

Greta

Try looking at Universal's website. It has music spread throughout it, and you may find it there if it was written just for Universal. I know that an original score was written for Orlando's Islands of Adventure (I got a copy of it from a friend who heard it and mistook the main theme for Hook. It sounds ALOT like Hook.) Its possible that they used it in Hollywood too (Although I don't remember that when I haunted Hollywood awhile back)

(If you go to the Islands of Adventure site, try watching the video for the Incredible Hulk rollercoaster. This may be what you were looking for.)

The Ghoest- Who's always haunting you...

I live in florida and a regular at the park. Its ironic that you ask this because I'm listening to "The Adventure Lives on," a track from the IOA park soundtrack. I inquired about getting soundtracks for both parks but the only park with one is IOA. Universal aparently plays music thatit owns but doesn't have the rights to sell (or so I was told.) It aparently can't put them all onto a cd and sell that and that's why it's kinda hard to figure out what plays there.

As for what is was God only knows. They don't really know what they play lol.

Yeah, its pretty good. Glad my friend got it. From what he said, there's an absolutely excellent violin solo at the entrance that isn't on the CD (and of course isn't anywhere online.) From his report, I would die to get my hands on that (hint hint, Floridians).

That's pretty funny though, unreleased theme park music. Oh well.

The Ghoest-

"History is a group of lies agreed upon."

-Napoleon Bonaparte

This doesn't relate to Universal Studios, but at the Disney~MGM Studios at the Walt Disney World Resort in FL, they play a lot of film music at the entrance and around the central hub of the park. I've heard "Flight to Neverland," "The Forest Battle," "Harry's Wondrous World," Superman, Air Force One, and Lawrence of Arabia, among others. And it was fun to listen to JNH's Dinosaur outside the Dinosaur ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom. So yeah, theme parks are a good place to hear film music!

Ray Barnsbury

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry to post just to put this at the top, but I'm really curious as to whether this actually was the music from the entrance. Did anybody go to Universal's site and check?

(Also shamelessly trying to get someone to get the unreleased violin solo at Islands of Adventure)

The Ghoest-

"The shadow has risen again..."