What is the last film you watched?

MrScratch

Saw Kill Bill Vol. 1 in the local theatre yesterday. Damn. I don't mind movies with gore, but this was really over the top. I mean, if it had been realistic wounds, but two-feet fountains of blood... come on. I was actually glad the big fight was in b/w, because it was starting to get a little bit much. I just couldn't help smiling when I heard the 'Wilhelm' in there, though.

- Marc, who thought the anime sequence looked a lot like Kid's Story (from The Animatrix), but isn't sure whether it's from the same guy.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Kill Bill is really overrated. It is not a great film, it is not the epitome of style, it is not visualy dazzling, and it is not an important Tarantino film. He likes Martial Arts movies- he made his own out of bits and pieces (or chuncks) of others. A fun, gory film. Nothing more.

Just the fact that he started out with a Klingon quote tells you that.

There are two Wilhelms during the fight with the Crazy 88.

I guess that makes sense, as the Wilhelm is basically a two-part scream, but I smiled at one of them, because I noticed only one (the guy getting chopped down before he's thrown down the stairs into a bunch of other pursuers).

And it was indeed very much a film that will only get audiences because of Tarantino's name (that's actually the reason I went to see it). Tarantino is a very obstinate filmmaker, and there were several times where I was bothered especially by the editing. Scenes and storylines tend to drag, but that's just part of his filmstyle, and that's something you have to accept when you're watching a Tarantino film. It IS managed consequently. It's not one scene that's dragging and another that's rushed, they all have a certain off-beat, and sometimes somewhat unsettling pacing, that he tended to use a lot in this film.

Lots of gore. Nutty stuff. But I always like watching films on the big screen, so what do I care, eh? :thumbup:

- Marc, enjoys going to the theatre. :thumbup:

I just saw Love Actually- and it was fantastic, if you like that sort of movie. I liked it better than Four Weddings, Notting Hill and Bridget Jones Diary.

I loved the line:"Kids! don't buy drugs. When you're a pop star- they give them to you for free!"

An absolutely fantastic Craig Armstrong score. I liked that he didn't hold back like Doyle and Jones did.

I saw Finding Nemo this weekend. It was probably the best animated film I've seen in the last quite-a-few years.

It's pure genius! bowdown

I find it ridiculous that it came out on DVD in the US earlier than it came to the theatres over here :)

I also saw Start Trek Nemesis on video. It was nothing special for me, I expected it to be a bit better.

I saw Superman - The Movie at the Colonial Theater in Phoenixville, PA Saturday afternoon. To say it's one of the best films ever made would be an understatement. This is such a beautiful looking movie and this print had gorgeous color.

Sadly, it also had the revised sound mix and was 8 minutes longer than the theatrical cut.

Neil

I saw Superman - The Movie at the Colonial Theater in Phoenixville, PA Saturday afternoon.  To say it's one of the best films ever made would be an understatement.  This is such a beautiful looking movie and this print had gorgeous color.

Sadly, it also had the revised sound mix and was 8 minutes longer than the theatrical cut.

Neil

:)

Never heard of a Superman, The Movie with a longer duration. Is that a director's cut? 8 minutes is a lot of material. That means new scenes.

---------------

Alex Cremers

Do you not own the DVD? It's an extended version of the film, and frankly it sucks. It also has a brand new 5.1 re-mix with totally new sound effects. Its ridiculous. The film was fully restored though and looks fabulous.

And the 8 minutes of footage do not change a thing in the film. The most effective version of the film is the 143 minute cut. That is perfect.

If you want to read more about the Superman movies you should really check out Superman Cinema.

Neil

It's the most common release now-a-days. The newest edition of VHS and the DVD have it incorporated into it.

I always saw the movie as a bit goofy. I feel the comic book moments, although captured perfectly in all the Hackman/Beatty scene, stick out. The rest doesn't feel like a comic book movie, which is okay- neither did Batman, and that was a great movie, but I think they should have stuck to one or the other. I think Williams sentiments were right on, saying the movie was not totaly serious, and expressed it idealy in 'The March of The Villains'.

Great effects, great look, great cinematography, great editing, generaly good acting (Hackman and Beatty of course are nothing short of fantastic), amazing music. I just think the script is very problematic, and for the life of me I don't understand why they used such an unattractive actor for the Smallville sequences, which had the great Glenn Ford. The way the actor looked ruined all those scenes, which otherwise were perfect Norman Rockwell in every way.

No, I don't own the DVD and now that I've learned they altered the movie I'm glad I never bought it. I'm not buying Alien Altered either. Restoring is nice, changing something good is not.

Btw, I thought the young Superman looked great. What do you mean by unattractive? Like ugly? Was that an ugly young man? :?

----------------

Alex Cremers

I'm not buying Alien Altered either. Restoring is nice, changing something good is not.

You can watch the original versions of all the Alien movies in the new set via seamless branching.

And I hope you don't have any recordings of the concert versions of Williams' film scores, because those were changed as well. :)

Marian - who likes good changes.

You can watch the original versions of all the Alien movies in the new set via seamless branching.

And I hope you don't have any recordings of the concert versions of Williams' film scores, because those were changed as well. :)

Can I buy the theatrical version of Superman, The Movie on DVD?

What's seamless branching?

What do you mean by concert versions?

So many questions...

----------------

Alex Cremers

Can I buy the theatrical version of Superman, The Movie on DVD?

No, you cannot. Just the altered version, which looks beautiful and has great extras. The music never sounded better either, though it's heavily edited on the isolated track and assmebled wrong in some instances.

What's seamless branching?

Some discs offer 2 versions of the same movie on the same side of the disc. They do this by having special codes telling the player which version you selected to watch. That's how the T2: UE can hold 3 versions of the movie on one side of the disc. The new ALIEN disc will have the original cut and the new "done for marketing only" cut available through branching.

What do you mean by concert versions?

The concert version of "The Asteroid Field" is very different than what appeared in The Empire Strikes Back.

Neil

I don't mind the changes to Superman, I like the longer version. I'm just thankful they didn't alter/enhance the special effects because they don't really need to be enhanced. I still believe a man can fly after all these years. The DVD is worth owning just for iso-score not to mention the fabulous documentaries. This DVD belongs in every JW fans collection, in my opinion.

I just saw King Kong, it's really utterly the The Lost World in the 30's. A good movie, and the FX aren't that bad.

I disagree. The Lost World sucked, but King Kong is a really good movie.

I'll go a step further. The Lost World really sucks. It's damn near unwatchable. The original King Kong is a classic. The Lost World could learn an awful lot from it.

Neil

I'm not joking. I can't stand The Lost World. Tough to believe Spielberg made Schindler's List and Amistad to bookend that nonsense of a film. I swear when I saw it, and the daughter did the flips I called it, "Gymnastic Park". It's utter trash. It's beyond trash.

Jurassic Park has the element of awe going for it. It's not a great film by any stretch of the imagination, but it has some fun moments, and it showed us visuals that had never been seen before.

Neil

Yes, the Lost World is undoubtedly Spielbergs worst film. I can't believe I actually saw it twice in the theater! The only thing good that came out of TLW is Williams' "The Hunt" and it wasn't even used in the movie!

The Hunt was one of the best tracks!!!!!!!!!

I do believe that TLW is worse than JP but I don't think it's that bad of a film although I hate it a little more since almost none of it ties in with the actual book

I think the movie is rather good, good action, funny having a T-rex walking around a city backed up by good characters. Don't take it too seriously.

Yeah, I like TLW pretty well. JP is a great film IMHO, with TLW good and entertaining, but still falling short of it. JP III is much worse, and proves that JP is nothing without Spielberg (and Williams, for that matter).

Ray Barnsbury

I think it's fair to compare JP to Jaws. Unfortunately, the movie with the fake looking shark wins from the movie with the hyper realistic dinosours. What does that tell you? Think lads, and don't promote these CGI based pictures anymore.

Can a computer do this? Wow, let's make a movie with that.

----------------

Alex Cremers

proves that JP is nothing without Spielberg

Actually, JP was best before Spielberg came along.

I think it's fair to compare JP to Jaws. Unfortunately, the movie with the fake looking shark wins from the movie with the hyper realistic dinosours. What does that tell you? Think lads, and don't promote these CGI based pictures anymore.

The problem is the script, not the fx quality. I'd put JP the book above Jaws the movie. Unfortunately, JP the movie lacks much of what made the book so good.

Terminator 3. During the fight scenes I could see some CGI instead of actors being tossed around. It really warped me out of the scene a bit.

Anyway, the third one is the third best.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I just saw Matrix Revolutions last night.

I was profoundly disapointed, just left a huge gaping feeling in my stomach after watching it. I will agree with everybody saying that Hugo Weaving was the best actor in the movie.

Ok, they killed everybody in the first half of the movie, and then they magically come back to life at the end, the ending by the way is so full of crap.

I agree, Morlock, Holes is a great film, with a decent score by Joel McNeely as well. Have you read the book it was based on? It's wonderful, and the film is a fairly loyal adaptation of it.

Ray Barnsbury

I saw Finding Nemo, good movie, but what are whales and great whites doing around farm cove?  

We get whales and sharkies in the Harbour. People used to get eaten all the time along those easten coves, back in the pre-shark net days ;). I loved how it was all so dirty there too :) .

Last two movies I saw were pretty striking. They were:

* In the Cut directed by Jane Campion and starring Meg Ryan, Mark Ruffalo and Jennifer Jason Leigh. Sexy, smart, smutty, bloody, even a little bit scary - what more can you want?

* Mystic River directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Kevin Bacon, Laurence Fishburne, Marcia Gay Harden and Laura Linney. Tragic, heartfelt, well acted, complex - plus an effective score by none other than ... Clint Eastwood himself!

Anyone else seen either of these films? If not, get thee to a cinema and then tell me what you thought! :P

CYPHER