What is the last film you watched?

MrScratch

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serpico. Okay film. I like seeing a film that doesn't have today's rushed pacing every once in a while.

- Marc

:mrgreen: Alan Silvestri - A Maroon Cartoon from Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Ahem! Alien Resurrection is 10 times as bad as Alien3. Alien Resurrection is very close to a turkey. Scrap that, it IS a turkey!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Serpico. Okay film. I like seeing a film that doesn't have today's rushed pacing every once in a while.

That's actually the only Lumet film that's dissapointed me to date.

I don't understand why.

I had no idea what I was going to be watching. I just knew it had Al Pacino in it. The TV Guide said it was a good film, so I just went ahead and taped it.

I'm not really familiar with Lumet's work, so I'm not sure I've seen anything else of his.

- Marc

Anyhoo, I think Serpico is a very good movie with a fantastic Pacino in it, but Prince of the City, another Lumet film about corruption in the police force, is simply utterly amazing. However, don't expect a fun flick, this is very heavy shit. I think Lumet's storytelling techniques were at an all time high then.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I don't understand why.

I don't know why either, it just didn't work for me. Maybe after 12 Angry Men, Network and Dog Day Afternoon my expectations were somewhat high (Quite understandably). Even Pacino didn't strike me as all that. Great, sure. But for me, it couldn't possibly beat Dog Day Afternoon and the Godfather movies.

The Adventures of The Baron Munchausen. I liked it. I'm generaly not a Gilliam fan, but I think he's the only director who could get away with so much self-indulgence. Gilliam movies are undeniably Gilliam movies in every single facet.

This movie is of course made by John Neville, it's such a wonderful, joyfull performance. I generaly know Neville to be much more subdued, but he is perfect here (I find it striking how much him and John Hurt are similar). Sarah Polly is a surprisingly not at all annoying little girl. She has a good scream.

And I don't know why, but I love Jonathan Pryce here. It's just delightful to watch.

Kamen's score is fantastic, possibly the best I've heard of his. I love how in tune he is with Gilliam.

The movie itself has many slow parts, all the Robin Williams stuff is just stupid, but in the end, I had a good time watching it, it's all worth it, just for Neville. 7.5/10.

:mrgreen: Patrick Doyle - Great Expectations - Estella's Theme

Kamen's score is fantastic, possibly the best I've heard of his. I love how in tune he is with Gilliam.

Really? I sold that soundtrack and I was so glad I could. I found that there's a lot of busy things going on and lots of fantasy gimmicks in the orchestrations just to cover up the poorly constructed backbone that should've been compositions. Lots of shine and glitter on the surface but after several listenings it bares an empty shell. Alas, not every soundtrack is great. However, like you said, it is in tune with Gilliam's movie, so it fulfilled its primary function.

----------------

Alex Cremers - doing his "Ebert an Roeper When They Disagree" routine again with Morlock .

More Superman news

http://filmforce.ign.com/superman/articles...7/537939p1.html

the script pages now being used to audition actors for the title role in director Bryan Singer's forthcoming Superman movie are not from either J.J. Abrams' old draft or from the new script being penned by Dan Harris and Michael Dougherty. Instead, the casting directors auditioning contenders for the next Man of Steel are using scenes from 1978's Superman: The Movie.

The eight-page "sides" we were able to see include three scenes from Richard Donner's film. Two are "Clark Kent" scenes while the last one is a "Superman" one. The first is the scene when Clark Kent meets Perry White and Lois Lane on his first day of work at The Daily Planet.  

The second scene is later that day when Clark and Lois are exiting the Planet and he uses the word "swell." The last scene is the interview between Lois Lane and Superman in her penthouse apartment. It ends right before he takes her on their nighttime flight over Metropolis.

By the way, FilmForce has also confirmed that Superman is secretly code-named Unbelievable.

Finally, the Associated Press spoke with Passion of the Christ star Jim Caviezel's manager, Beverly Dean, about the rumors that he might play Superman. "Would he like to do it? He loves Superman," said Dean. "But the truth is there has been no offer, the script isn't even finished ? but absolutely he'd be interested."

Man in the Mirror, just more confirmation that Michael Jackson is a freak, and society would be safer with him behind bars.

Been watching Futurama season 2 w/ commentaries, probably some of the best commentaries on dvd.

Max-Needing to go out and get seasons 3 and 4

Been watching Futurama season 2 w/ commentaries, probably some of the best commentaries on dvd.

Max-Needing to go out and get seasons 3 and 4

Season 4 will be out in less than 2 weeks.

Neil - who agress about those commentaries

I've had it for six months. :thumbup:

And yes, the commentaries are hilarious. I think there are a few episodes in season 3 where Billy West does the entire commentary as Fry or Dr. Zoidberg.

Okay, I've been away for a while, so here is my list:

Spiderman II. Finally a sequel with its own personality but true to the original's spirit. Although the script was too comic-book-ish for my taste, it had its moments.

Kill Bill Vol.2. Just a masterpiece, pure brilliance in every scene. And I never liked Tarantino before.

Catwoman. The bad part of a relationship is that you don't always get to pick the films when you go to a movie. Ah, well, a further 98 minutes of my life just down the toilet.

Dancer in the Dark. I think I commented on this before, not sure.

L'Auberge Spagnole (sp?). Interesting french comedy with, alas, a bad script.

Any word on the rumors about Tom Welling being offered the role?  

-Ross, crossing his fingers.

rumors denied don't know if thats sad or not.

rumors denied don't know if thats sad or not.

Well, it's sad for me at least. I, among many others, have already grown used to seeing Welling as Superman. Not to mention how little sense it makes for WB to spend 4, 5 years detailing and setting up the Smallville background to just retell it in 20 minutes in a movie. It's not like the movie itself would depend on Smallville to be understood.

Moby Dick mini series, entertaining, but I don't think it was as good as the old John Huston movie, in acting and script.

Singer really wants Welling to be Superman

Well, it's better than that mayonnaise eating Superman in Lois and Clark. But nevertheless, Singer's choice is one hell of a dissapointment for me. It's the first true bad sign and I really had my hopes up since I knew Singer was on board.

----------------

Alex Cremers

For all the Watchmen fans out there

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/site/news/ne...p?news_id=16087

Empire sat down with Law recently to talk Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow.  

During our chat, Law revealed that he used to be an avid comics collector ? which is a surprise, given that Law is good-looking, slim and has a girlfriend. "I still go to comic shops, Forbidden Planet and look through back issues of the ones I love," he told Empire. "I was a big fan of Johnny Nemo and Strange Days, Parallax, you know those? But I haven't gotten into anything recently, not like I did with From Hell and Watchmen."  

With that in mind, we mentioned that Law ? with his dashing good looks, blond hair and movie star charisma ? would be perfect for the role of Adrian Veidtaka Ozymandias, a former superhero and the smartest (and richest) man in the world, who becomes a key player in Watchmen's twisting plot. So we told him that there was a movie on the way, directed by Aronofsky.

"Darren Aronofsky? I'm on the phone NOW!" said Law, clearly excited. "Adrian Veidt, King of Kings!" And then, as if to show off his Watchmen fanboy credentials, he whispered conspiratorially. "I'm tattooed with Rorschach, did you know that?"

If Law actually got on board, this could really jump start the movie into a firm release for the big screen adaption of what many say (and i agree with) the greatest comic book of all time

For a very bare bones synopsis of the story, and leaving out spoilers:

Watchmen is a twelve issue maxi-series that was released by DC Comics from 1986-1987. Set in a paranoid world where costumed heroes have been banned and nuclear war lays just beyond teh horizon, Alan Moore  depicts the lives of former and aging costumed superheroes in the hour they are needed most.  

The story begins when the Comedian, a government agent who once fought crime as a masked adventurer, is thrown from his apartment window to his death below. Rorschach, the feared vigilante who refused to quit when laws were passed outlawing masked crime fighters, investigates the murder, and events spin out of control from there.

Nixon is serving his 3rd term and Vietnam is the 51st state. The character that Jude Law wants to play is a character named Ozymandias, the world's smartest man. There are a lot of other characters inluding Dr. Manhattan and the Owl but I'd encourage you to read the graphic novel first.

Olympia. Leni Riefenstahl's two-part documentary of the 1936 Olympics. The images of the sporting events are spectacular. Riefenstahl was a brilliant filmmaker. Too bad her movies were politically - well - not quite correct. :)

- Marc

The filming and editing of the board diving contest is beyond belief, they just don't film sports like that anymore :)

And the final shots with the spears emminating a celestial beam of light look breathtaking even today.

It reminded me of the visual experience of 2001: A Space Odessey somehow.

I can understand why Spielberg and Lucas were inspired by Riefenstahl.

So was Jackson, BTW.

And yeah, the diving board contest looked amazing. I loved the first part, of the Athletics games (I do Athletics myself). Especially seeing those old techniques was fun. There is no one left in the world today who can do the High Jump that way. And landing in sand with that technique from 2 meters must have been killing for your legs.

- Marc

Are you just writing it off because it's an Alan Moore novel? Moore had nothing to do with the film and the director was an idiot who couldnt even keep the crew together.

Spider-Man, X-Men, Blade, Road to Perdition, The Rocketeer, The Mask, Superman, Men in Black are all examples of good comic book stores adapted to the big screen.

I also just saw Manchurian Candidate. A great conspiracy thriller, I liked how they used close up center shots of each person's face to get the right feel and for the claustraphobia. The score while not exactly rememerable suits the film nicely and why Liev Schreiber isn't a big name star is beyond me

Matrix Box Set

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/538/538459p1.html

It appears the rumored 10-disc set is indeed what's in store, along with an even more expensive Collector's Edition Gift Set that includes a Neo minibust and a soundtrack CD. The set will come in five cases, meaning two discs per case (thank you, Captain Obvious). No price has been set but it's rumored to be in the $59.95 range.

The discs break down as:

Disk 1 - The Matrix (digitally remastered and recolored)

Disk 2 - The Matrix Revisited (the same disc already released)

Disk 3 - The Matrix Reloaded (no director's cut)

Disk 4 - The Matrix Reloaded Revisited

Disk 5 - The Matrix Revolutions (no director's cut)

Disk 6 - The Matrix Revolutions Revisited

Disk 7 - The Animatrix (the same disc already released)

Disk 8 - The Roots of the Matrix

Disk 9 - The Burly Man Chronicles

Disk 10 - The Zion Archive

Ignore the rumors of an extra hour of footage in Reloaded. The brothers said they were very happy with the original theatrical versions. At least they were.

There will be two audio commentaries for each film: one from philosophers Ken Wilber and Cornel West, who analyze the meanings behind the films, and one from three film as-yet unnamed film critics who hated all three films. This should be good. Andy Wachowski said "They just sit there and rip the s*** out of us for six hours."

All the footage shot for the Enter the Matrix videogame is present on the DVD for The Matrix Reloaded as a separate special feature you can view scene-by-scene.

Finally, none of the special features from the original DVD releases of the three films will be reused except for what's on discs 2 and 7. Some footage may be edited but it won't be recycled in whole

:?

The critic attack commentary is the only thing that interests me but not enough to spend that gross amount of money on this thing

Singer really wants Welling to be Superman

apparently this isn't true either.