What is the last film you watched?

MrScratch

Kill Bill Vol.2. What happened? This is 10 times as good as Vol.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I turned off my DVD player after 15 minutes of Volume 1.Should I still watch Vol.2?

K.M.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kill Bill Vol.2. What happened? This is 10 times as good as Vol.1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I turned off my DVD player after 15 minutes of Volume 1.Should I still watch Vol.2?

K.M.

Absolutely! Kill Bill Vol.2 feels like a real Tarantino movie. Vol.1 simply did not and I was bored to death with it. They're two different movies altogether!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Old Boy on the silver screen (theatrically). Believe it or not, I fell asleep several times. This movie (Grand Prix at Cannes) is just not my cup of tea. No comments.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Ripley's Game. 6/10 and all 6 points go to the picture framer.

Scott was great, but so was Malkovich, and again, I found the plot developments genuinly interesting.

I'm about halfway through the original Manchurian Candidate with Sinatra, I'm surprised by how great the movie is. Sinatra does reasonably well with his role as Marko but whoever the guy is that plays Shaw does it superbly and now having seen both movies, you can tell that Liev Schreiber obviously takes some of mannerisms used in the original for the remake

Although the remake doesn't interest me, I'll probably see it just for Schreiber. I think he's a really fine actor, and has done well with roles that could've been to taly unremarkable (like Sum of All Fears).

I saw Team America today too.It's quite fonny at times.

Now I just searched the aisle of my video store for stuff I haven't seen.I'm sort of scrapping the bottom of the barrel and running out of choices.

Today's Double Feature:

The Shape of Things(comedy?)

Dorm Daze

K.M.Watching the end of Superman on TV

Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars- Part 1

:)

8O

:cry:

LOL

:eek:

:D

:|

But not necessarily in that order.

Guess this means no one has to look at the ad in my sig anymore (you can hold back the cheering ;) ) No point in advertising something that's already happened. Part 2 tomorrow night!

I'm not sure I get this Farscape here.

Oh yeah,in Team America,when I heard the patriotic America song that's used a few times,the opening rerminded me of America,The Dream Goes On.

K.M.

Star Trek IV. A very, very good movie. A movie that makes you see the greatness of Star Trek, and more than all the others, shows the greatness of these actor's performances, these characters, and Roddenberry's world. While Rosenman's score is not strong throughout and has none of that dynamic action music, it's highlights, namely the main titles and Chekov's Run, are fantastic.

Finished original Manchurian Candidate, excellent excellent movie. This fleshes out some points I was unsure about in the remake.

I didnt know this was the first movie to have a kung fu fight in it

Max

The Usual Suspects. Finally. I've wanted to see this before, when I noticed that many folks were very hyped about this film, and all the talk about "Keyzer Söze Endings" in the "Village" Thread etc. .... Sadly the end was kindy spoiled for me when I read some "twist endings" debate at some website, but I quickly stopped reading then, and the two bits I came across were

[Caution, possible SPOILERS:]

One guy said that Spacey was Söze, and one guy said that he thinks Söze didn't exist.

[/End SPOILERS]

Well, at least I still wasn't totally sure during the movie which one of those was true, and I kinda manged to be pulled into the story enough to be able not to think about what I read very much.

Conclusion: This is one awesome movie. I instantly watched it again, and then another time with director's commentary (very informative and funny). I'm amazed at the rich number of intelligently placed details throughout the film that hint towards the truth, but are so small that they go unnoticed if you don't know what to make of them.

And Ottman's score I found very beautiful, and very effective. Though I wonder who came first, "New York's Finest" or "The Conspirators" ;)

Ottman freely admits he used The conspirators, it was his first real score. (On the special edition DVD there's hidden interview with him conducted by FSM's Jeff Bond).

Conan The Barbarian. I thought i saw this when I was young, but apparantly it was only Conan The Destroyer.

I was very impressed by it. The visuals are amazing, especialy the temple on the mountain, which is such a breathtaking vista. And I found it especialy impressive that one of the best hing about the movie was the movement, the way the heros approached the battle. Especialy in the Orgy Room, the movement is so well timed, so well edited, so graceful (by our heros only, of course).

But of course the main reason for renting this was the legendary score. The score is of course amazing, and you get a better understanding for what a towering achievement it is hearing it in the movie. The main titles, which I used to like, but also wrote off as a Klingon's Theme rip (a great one at that, though) are amazing, althoguh the rest of the world has been before me, I am so grateful to Poledouris for seeing the musical potential of the movie and writing a score so worthy to take up a huge part of the movie.

Since I know the score relativley well, it was so exciting to me that I have all of these all time highlights of film scoring ahead of me. Within the first 20 mintues, we've got 3 amazing themes. The Riders of Doom sequence and it's music is fantastic, Milius has got a real flare for these battle scenes (I also just got The Wind and The Lion). And Subotai's Theme is so fantastic, my favorite of the movie's themes. Although in the movie the beautiful opening (what insturment is that?) is muffled by the dialogue, when it expands it's just plain glorious. The orgy is also great, and it works so fantasticaly well when the 3 heros sneaking around to that music.

A solid S&S movie, better than most (certainly better than Willow) and one of the greatest scores ever. 7/10.

Is that it then?

Justin

Yup. But hopefully all the great publicity it's gotten will translate into good ratings, and there will be more to come. DVD sales are supposedly really good too, so that helps. :pukeface:

And now I'll post this in the right thread: La Meglio gioventù (The Best Of Youth). Despite it flaws (understandable, it's plays 6 hours), this is a really beautiful movie with truly heartfelt performances. One of the best films I've seen this year.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The main titles, which I used to like, but also wrote off as a Klingon's Theme rip (a great one at that, though) are amazing,

Actually the Main Titles is a very...VERY blatant rip off of Goldsmith's Main Title for Capricorn one, just compare the 2 sometimes.

Still a great cue though.

Well, it sounds like a combination of the two. Capricorn One always sounded to me like The Lost World theme.

If that is the case, then it's The Lost World that sounds like Capricorn One, being that the Goldsmith score was written 19 years earlier.

Neil - who hears no resemblance between the two scores

The Lost World only has a very general similarity in that it's a non-melodic theme supporteed by agressive percussion.

Main Title from Capricorn One and The Anvil Of Crom from Conan are very very similar in theme, rhytm and structure.

I think it'll just be 2 hours of a CGI cat dancing in a suburban living room with Bill Murray saying catch phrases like "Time to walk the dog." "Cat got your tongue?" "Down dumb dog."

Well at least that's what I got from the trailers....

Justin

Michael Collins. I liked it a lot, historicaly accurate or not. Neeson is very good, as is Ian Hart. Amazing looking, the scene as the assassins run over the hills to kill Collins is breathtaking. Totaly believable set design.

The movie raises some very interesting questions and ideas regarding guerrila war fare, terrorism, freedom fighting.

And that score is just fantastic. I'm not a big Goldenthal fan, but this is by far my favorite of his, one of the best of 1996, IMO deserved the oscar that year. This is what an Irish score should be (at least to a good movie, that is. Far and Away is outstanding, but to a terrible movie that did not require a more integrated score). It doesnt' hit you over the head like most Irish score, especialy Horner's (thought that's a common problems with many ethnic scores). The love theme is very good, and the finale, 'Funeral/Coda' is remarkable on the CD and in the film, IMO one of the greatest finales ever.

Yes, it is quite good. A bit unfocused at points, but quite good. Hoffman is great, Cruise is....Cruise, but quite good. Score is ok.

Hellboy. I quite liked it although sometimes it somehow reminded me of Ghostbusters (and yet it's totally different). Not something to buy on DVD but good entertainment nevertheless. The climax kind of sucked.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alex, was that the theatrical version or the director's cut of Hellboy?

I'm curious to know if the director's cut is much of an improvment. I thought the film was okay, but not great.

There's 12 mins of new footage in the new cut along with a 3rd disc with some more extra features, from what I've read it seems pretty good but since i have the original cut, I'm not sure I want to get the DC.

Alex, was that the theatrical version or the director's cut of Hellboy?

I'm curious to know if the director's cut is much of an improvment. I thought the film was okay, but not great.

Theatrical, literally. Indeed, the film is okay. A fun ride. But not a "must have" in my collection. Ron Perlman (Hellboy) did it perfectly.

----------------

Alex Cremers