What is the last film you watched?

MrScratch

whats Dogville,

and Lotman, Blair Witch is so bad that you really don't need to be asking questions about it, but about why you even continue to thing about it.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogville.

Dogville is one of the most hopelessly overrated movies of the past few years. It is a fascinating and emotional film the first time around. The second time around, it is long and ponderous. It is generaly misunderstood, and given ridicules deapth and subjected to pointless interpretation. It is a very simple, uncomplicated film, has very simple points which it presents and drives in. And the greatest fallacy about it is that it's anti-American. It is a great artistic project. But it is not a great film, (would work better as a book, IMO) does not use the power of film to great extent (unlike Breaking The Waves, still Von Trier's best.)

It is a great artistic project. But it is not a great film,

I think parts of it are.

... does not use the power of film to great extent .

The power of film ...? Mmmm.

What on Earth do you mean , Morlock?!

----------------

Alex Cremers

It is not a cinematic product. It was a filmed play that would work better as a book and best as a play.

Yes, it was a play, but not filmed like one. At least not from an audience perspective. This time the audience sits and moves around on the stage. Brilliant! Very cinematic.

I must concede that you are correct about that point. I think the movie's coup is that it is a filmed play with the audience moving through the set, through the characters, but I still think the movie would be more bearable and would be a more involving experience in the theater. As I said, it's basic nihilistic attitudes are rather bare from the get go, and I think the fact that it was all forced upon you from the get go through the moving camera and obviously the lack of anything to take your eyes or mind off the character gets you off to a start that makes too much of the movie unbearable. I think as a play it could require more audience participation, and could gradualy make it's point, as oppsed to plainly making the point and then driving it in with a sledge hammer. I think all films should have some form of replay value, and spending another 3 hours having the same point knocked into me is just to much for me.

I didn't mean that it's a falacy to be anti-American. What I meant was that in my opinion, the film, while regarded to be anti-American, is not really anti-American at all (or at least not specificaly).

Well, can't dig much deeper into this one without getting this thread closed, but let's just say I agree in spirit, if not in practise, and that I do not think Dogville is anti-American.

Good luck. A typical 90s product (even Hopkins is wasted), you probably love it.

I am a firm believer in the wonders a magnificent score could do to a movie's watchability.

Urgh...That's a blasphemous rape attempt of one of the finest songs ever written

Jeez, that's not the point. Damn, where were you when they were passing out brains?

Jeez, that's not the point. Damn, where were you when they were passing out brains?

That won't get this thread closed by a long shot.

You will need to deliver something that involves 2 men, a horse and 2 or 3 banana's....at the very least.

Good luck. A typical 90s product (even Hopkins is wasted), you probably love it.

I am a firm believer in the wonders a magnificent score could do to a movie's watchability.

Legends of the Fall? The Soundtrack? It's a typical glamorous, yet corny 90s score. The music is like David Hamilton's photography! It's Witney Houston, it's Celine Dion. It's bags full of sugar. It's food for grannies, the film too. It's kitsch! It's the death of creative cinema. Shudder!

----------------

Alex Cremers

That's an unintelligent post. It's a glorious film score. And John Toll is no David Hamilton. The combination of Toll and Horner on this project is breathtaking, despite the acting, characters and story. It's one of those The Village type movies.

If you don't like the score, that's fine. But these ridicules explanations you come up with......It's a Norman Rockwell score. What's wrong with that?

You want this thread closed? Leave it to me! I'll handle it! Click this!

http://www.yonkis.com/mediaflash/eeuu.htm

Urgh...That's a blasphemous rape attempt of one of the finest songs ever written.

And they cut out the best part of the song!

Neil

Yeah, and they can't sing!

----------------

Alex Cremers -trying to play dumb too

Bought Clerks X and watched Clerks for the first time, a great movie overall but some of the acting in the beginning seems poorly done.

I didn't like Antz at all. I didn't think they used the actor's voices too well, and the jokes just aren't all that funny, especialy after A Bug's Life (which I loved). Not a fan of the score either, IMO it really pales in comparison to their great Chicken Run score. ('Building The Crate' is such a brilliant cue)

Yes, A Bug's Life is far better than AntZ, which is good-but-not-great.

And the score to Chicken Run does beat Antz, but hey, how can you top that? Not only does it have one of the best cues ever written in "Building the Crate," it features kazoos as well! :P

- Marc

I didn't think they used the actor's voices too well, and the jokes just aren't all that funny, especialy after A Bug's Life (which I loved).

Antz came out first.

Neil - who loves Antz and can't tolerate A Bug's Life

I'm planning on watching Plan 9 from Outer Space soon, often claimed to be the worst movie of all time

I'm just curious to hear what other people think about it if they've seen it

Michael Jackson's Thriller.

A mini-movie of its own, this clip has become part of popculture like no other. You can't beat a video to a Michael Jackson track as funky as Thriller with zombies dancing to it. (He tried to redo it with Ghost, which I remember being okay, but nowhere near this.) Come on, you just have to love this.

Also, it features a score by Elmer Bernstein (referred to in the credits as "Scary Music").

Now bring on the Michael Jackson jokes. :P

- Marc, :mrgreen:

Reindeer Games. A generic action movie starring Ben Affleck, one of those guys that owes his career to his jawbone.

It has Gary Sinise and Chalrize Theron, though. The scenes with them are okay.

- Marc

Blueberry. Cinema has reached a new low. Probably the worst movie ever made.

You criticize Legends of The Fall...yet willingly see Blueberry?

Incidentaly, I (Alex, get your shocked face ready...)liked Legends of The Fall. As I said, there's nothing wrong with Rockwell. It is a great looking movie, with a beautiful score, probably Horner's best. Aiden Quinn gives a very good performance, the rest are at least servicable. And this movie is all worth it just for Julia Ormond, who must be one of most stunnigly beautiful women in the history of man kind. It of course suffers from Zwick's need to apologize for every wrong done by an American ever, puts in tons of stupid Indian stuff that had no place there, is not a very focused movie, the ending is not true to the story, but it's a fun ride while it lasts. It just needs to be looked at like The Big Country, or one of those innocent 50's westerns.

Oh, and Reindeer Games is one of the worst, most forgettable movies I've ever seen.

You criticize Legends of The Fall...yet willingly see Blueberry?

Am I forbidden to see other movie because I criticize Legends of the Fall*?

We can't have a 4 star movie every night, Morlock. The supplies are limited*.

*Feel free to admit these in the famous JWFan quote thread

----------------

Alex Cremers - who thanks Morlock for giving him inspiration.

Blueberry. Cinema has reached a new low. Probably the worst movie ever made.  

----------------

Alex Cremers - I still can't believe it.

Cinema or manking altogether? Check this Imdb.com imbecile reviewing such movie:

Apparently opinions on this film are sharply divided, maybe because of its use of hallucinogenic substances. Well, I have never used them and never intend to, but I still thought this film was an incredible masterpiece of magical realism.

From the very beginning it was obvious that this was a very cinematically ambitious film, and throughout the film it realized and exceeded this ambition. It was shot with great beauty, originality and flair for new ways of arranging scenes. It never fell back on clichés, it was totally engaging, and filled to the brim with incredible scenery.

The fantastic "2001"-like end was the best part of it all. The computer animation was so amazingly beautiful that it blew me away. The fight on the astral plane was intricate, dramatic and fabulously visually effective. I'll definitely have to get this on DVD, as it absolutely deserves more than a single viewing.

If there's anything to criticize about this film, it is that Michael Madsen once again reprised his role as an evil , which I thought wasn't a great idea, but fortunately it doesn't get out of hand. I would still have liked the bad guy to be a little more complex. Instead of gold, he was after the mescalin, which also shows that the film makers do not one-sidedly endorse tripping, but after the final revelation about how the saloon woman (she wasn't his GF!) from the beginning of the film was killed, I hoped the villain might be shown to be not-so-bad after all. But, oh well. They needed a really bad guy for the big finish, to ensnare Blueberry and all. One thing I didn't get at the end; was Maria ever with Blueberry in the cave, or did he just hallucinate that?

Anyway, it is a fantastic film that all serious film buffs should treat themselves to. You won't be sorry.

I rate it 9 out of 10.