Movies with John Williams music mixed at too low volume.

King Mark

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lost World had a pretty distanced score in the theatre as I remember. And the Towering Inferno, although I can only speak for the VHS version I own, puts the score second.

Oh well, Tibet too, you're right! But still it was there to make me become JW fan in that holy '97... :mrgreen:

I'm taking the Towering Inferno away from my previous mention. I mean, I have never seen it at a theatre or on DVD with its original sound. The VHS version I spoke of has a Czech dubbing and the score may have gotten lost in the mist just due to the mucked up dubbing mix.

Chamber of Secrets has the music mixed awfully low. I can just imagine it.

"Hm. This score isn't nearly half as good as the last one."

"Yeah. ... Wait, I know. Let's mix it really low, so no-one'll notice!"

"Okay!"

:mrgreen:

- Marc

Chamber of Secrets.

Watching the DVD a week ago brought tears to my eyes. No, the movie itself is emotionally devoid, but the soundtrack did that to me. waaaaah!

*searches for an option to turn up the music volume and lower the sfx volume like you can do in video games....nope, no luck.*

Also "Minority Report." I really like "Anderton's Great Escape" on CD, but the sound effects really drown out the music at some of the cooler moments.

I totally agree with AI as well. It irks me every time I watch it that I have to turn up the sound to hear basically every music cue except "The Mecha World" and "The Reunion," which are the two best cues in the film anyway.

It's all Shawn Murphy and Simon Rhodes' fault. Goddammit Williams, hire Dennis Sands! He did a masterful job in recording your score to Rosewood! Didn't you hear the difference?

-Erik-

We're supposed to be immersed in movies, not be distracted by the music.

Neil

Yes, but the idea of the score is to add and bring out what is happening on-screen. The ones for these movies are too soft to give the same effect.

I agree with Neil to a certain extent.

Music SHOULD be secondary to dialogue in a film.

It's very distrtacting when you cannot hear what the actors are saying cause the composer is churning out a loud fugue.

Stefancos- who thought CoS's music mix was low, but not extraordinary low.

I think music is mixed too low when it's hard to keep track of it even when trying during longer sequences. And that's valid for action sequences too. A big explosion or heavy fire may of course drown out the music, but when you can barely hear it during an entire action sequence (COS: Quidditch Match, for example), the music isn't loud enough.

Marian - not sure if it's loud enough in the Hoth battle, because he hasn't seen ESB in a long time.

:music: The Truman Show (Dallwitz, Glass & Co)

We're supposed to be immersed in movies, not be distracted by the music.

Neil

I though you were joking, too. The statement on its own makes sense. But in the context of the discussion it seems like you'd prefer COS type of sound mix to an ET type of sound mix. The fact that the music in ET was prominent and could be heard easily helped me to immerse myself in the movie even more. I think I would have reacted the same way had COS been louder. A great music score is heard but the audience doesn't realize they're hearing it because the music is so wedded to what's unfolding on screen.

There are times, and I agree with a lot of the examples, where the music mix is so low that a film loses its cinematic potential to sweep us away and we're only watching the movie - no longer feeling or experiencing the movie.

- Adam

yes that's what I meant when I posted this.Star Wars O.T.,E.T. or Indiana Jones movies have perfect music mix,the music is loud and clear all the time,and I still have no problem hearing the dialogue or sound effects either.

In A.I. for example,you have to really force yourself to hear anything except in the last scene,and CoS is even worse.

Bad music mix that is TOO loud:Pirates of the Carabean of recent memory.

K.M.

yes that's what I meant when I posted this.Star Wars O.T.,E.T. or Indiana Jones movies have perfect music mix,

I disagree with Star Wars, at several points in the film the mix is to low.

But when I saw Raiders in the cinema last year in regular stereo the the mix sounded perfect, i hope the DVD's do not screw that up.

Stefancos- who is still confused about Indiana Jones And The Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Bad music mix that is TOO loud:Pirates of the Carabean of recent memory.

K.M.

A bit off-topic but it's just a short question: it's a Silvestri score, right? Is it good?

It *was* a Silvestri score, but now it's a MV score... ;)

Marian - who waited for years for a new pirate movie but has no hurry in watching anything Bruckheimer.

:sigh: Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out (The Rolling Stones)