What music did JW introduce to you?

MrScratch

I've been listening to a lot of JW/BPO albums, steering away from his film scores lately and I realized just how much music Williams has "introduced" me to, music I might not have heard had Williams not conducted it. Here are some of the pieces I really love that I owe to Williams:

Canto Olympico: Ode To Zeus (from Summon The Heroes)

Pavane (from Pops In Love)

The Swan (from Pops In Love)

Symphony 2: Mysterious Mountain (from The Five Sacred Trees)

The Color Purple (from Cinema Serenade)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hollywood Sound was a key compilation to me since it brought me to John Barry's Out of Africa, which made me want to have more so I bought a few more Barry's scores. And the Lawrence of Arabia, of which I wouldn't have known hadn't it been on the Hollywood Sound.

But the best of all is, in my opinion, Cinema Serenade 2. It's a splendid compilation made of gems.

Oh well, and his swing albums! It was around the time I started building my jazz/blues collection and he helped me identify a good number of works through his Boston Pops albums.

And Unforgettable and Joy to the World!, both are superfine introductions as well.

Maxwell Davies music, wich by the way, can be much more complicated than just "An Orkney wedding with Sunrise".

Also Delius, and a lot of Jazz. And recently, Michael Torke. Most classical composers I already knew about them, and loved some of them, by the time I got a Williams recording, but, of course is a pleasure when he takes the time to record things for the first time, like he did in Pops Britannia or Summon the Heroes.

Throught his own music, he also awaked me to others styles and composers, as he seems to gather so many influences on his own work.

What music did JW introduce to you?

Film scores and orchestral music in general. And he did it within just a few minutes, when I first listened to my father's Star Wars CD.

Canto Olympico: Ode To Zeus (from Summon The Heroes)

If you like that, check out Theodorakis's other choral work, Canto General. The world premiere recording if possible, the other recordings I know aren't very good.

Marian - who counts that among his favourites.

Due to Williams I'm a 20th century violin concerto collector. I'm not gonna name the works because there're too many and you wouldn't be interested anyway :) . But just know, I discovered some truly gems amongst them.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Williams music is what got me to like classical music. I remember doing a project on the holocaust and my taecher had us listen to the Schindlers List theme and write about what we think of the music. I thought it was incredable! From there I went and got a greatest hits cd, and it just sparked my interest in his music. As for classical music in general, i found out about how Itzhak Perlman was the voilinist, and i got a cd of his. So that one song truely got me to appreciate classical music.

Williams arranged to it sound like he composed it.

it fact listen to it at the 2.54 mark when the brass/woodwinds kick in...can anything be more unmistakably JW than this?it's so JW that i put it in my JW "beautiful cues" compilation as an exception.

K.M.

I loved it too. I loved this collection of CDs, and also by Williams, Bacalov´s Il Postino. I just love his arrangement to this beautiful tune.

Hector - and his Jurassic Park post. (that would be no. 1993)

:devil: Holst "Jupiter: the Bringer of Jollity" from The Planets

Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal

Charles Dutoit

Williams arranged to it sound like he composed it.

it fact listen to it at the 2.54 mark when the brass/woodwinds kick in...can anything be more unmistakably JW than this?it's so JW that i put it in my JW "beautiful cues" compilation as an exception.

K.M.

Could it be JW's Laura "2", "the one I would have loved to have scored..."? Has it been discussed here before like why John Williams didn't score this one for Steven Spielberg in 1985?

And as far as what Williams has introduced me to,I don't believe I would have read the Harry Potter books if Williams wasn't attached to scoring the movies.It's not music but I guess it counts too

K.M.

But listen to that bit on the Cinema Serenade I tell you

I will do so, thanks for the tip. I was long putting the first second in favor of the second Cinema Serenade. Time for a change.

And I am lucky I don't need to cope with hard times when deciding upon which CD to listen to at home in the evening. Just reading through topics here is heavenly inciting! You guys make my daily playlist!

:devil:

Back then in the theater I was quite surprised when Quincy's name appeared on the screen and not John Williams. I remember thinking that Spielberg probably didn't want Williams to score this one because Williams was known for his typical Action/SF/Fantasy heroism and that it wouldn't have help the film's dramatic tone very much........................ Sorry John, but I really don't need your Superman music on this one!

That was the only reason I could think of.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I forget where it was, but I thought I read somewhere that since Quincy Jones produced the film he also wanted to do the music. Williams, being the gentleman that he is, didn't protest. I don't think there is much of a story to it at all, its not like Jones was trying to oust Williams as Spielbergs composer of choice.

I agree about Williams' arrangement of Color Purple. Because of the Cinema Serenade recording, I went on to buy the Color Purple soundtrack. Its also nice to have it just to complete the Spielberg soundtrack catalogue. It sure would be nice to have a legit release of Sugarland Express now.

And as far as what Williams has introduced me to,I don't believe I would have read the Harry Potter books if Williams wasn't attached to scoring the movies.It's not music but I guess it counts too.

That might be a whole other topic to discuss! I, too, read the first Harry Potter book as soon as I heard that Williams going to do the score for SS. I think I would have read them eventually, but probably not before I saw the movie. A couple other books I read because of Williams are Angela's Ashes and Memoirs of a Geisha (because Spielberg was set to direct this at one point).

I agree about Williams' arrangement of Color Purple.  Because of the Cinema Serenade recording, I went on to buy the Color Purple soundtrack.  .

How does the O.S.T. stand up to Williams recording?

K.M.

I, too, read the first Harry Potter book as soon as I heard that Williams going to do the score for SS.

Ah yes, that sounds familiar. :(

Marian - who'd heard about the books from friends and relatives, but ultimately decided to read them when Williams signed up for the movie.