Best DVD of the year

QMM

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the money, Indy wins.  Three great movies that have never looked this good on home video.

Neil

Wow, you finally admit that The Last Crusade is a great film.

Now if we could only persuade Ricard and JoeinAr then the world will be OK.

Stefancos- who loves all 3 Indy films and thinks all 3 are brilliant, for different reasons.

I never doubted Last Crusade. It's not as good as the first two, but it's not unwatchable like some third films like Superman III and Return of the Jedi.

Oh, and it has Harrison Ford and Sean Connery and a John Williams score.

Neil

You just gotta love LOTR fanboys. :music:

Stefancos- who cannot wait to hold that 4 DVD set in his grubby little hands.

I will sterilize mine before I touch my extended edition.

Crusade must be every bit as good as Raiders. Now Temple....well, it's still fun. :music: Doesn't change the fact that TTT:EE will most certainly be the best DVD set of the year. At least when we include the extras, there can't be much doubt about it.

Marian - who might get his Indy DVDs tomorrow. :P

Of course the indy movies are great and all, but Two Towers wins out just for sheer abundance of extras. The commentaries from the first extended edition were well worth the price of admission.

sorry ?man, but Raiders is a far better film that the 2towers will ever be.

And for the best new DVD of a recent film, it still won't be 2towers but X-2, another film that is far superior to lotr2

Of course the indy movies are great and all, but Two Towers wins out just for sheer abundance of extras. The commentaries from the first extended edition were well worth the price of admission.

So the extras and commentaries for one movie are better than three films directed by Steven Spielberg? Maybe that guy is in the wrong business.

Neil

The thread is which DVD is better not which film is better. I would think most people agree Raiders is better than LOTR. However since you haven't seen the LOTR extended DVD you don't understand how amazing the releases are. Personally I have no opinion since most movies this year aren't out on DVD.

Justin -Who thinks the LOTR DVD's contain some of the best documentarys ever made. ROTFLMAO

New Line has set a new standard in DVD releases. The SEDE of FotR was amazing, and I'm sure the SE of TTT will be mind-blowing as well. Huorns at Helm's Deep! Yay!

- Marc

ROTFLMAO John Williams - Main Title/Approaching the Death Star/Tatooine Rendezvous from Return of the Jedi (SE)

Finding Nemo (fun commentaries- Pixar's a great company,great DVDs they've made)

X2 (nice fanboy movie): I like it enough to get it.

Pirates of Carribean (great movie-extras will be great.)

Bend it like Beckham (great movie)

LOTR FOTR EE's actor commentaries were spliced together, which just made that comments section a jumbled mess.

I wonder what easter egg they'll have this time. But great extras, i'll admit, will be worth it.

The thread is which DVD is better not which film is better

The DVD release of Raiders could have ZERO extra's and it would still be a better DVD than ttt.

Joe, who thinks ttt's is a bloated mess of overrated slop. Great filmmaking this is not.

I would think most people agree Raiders is better than LOTR.

Do they? Raiders is perhaps better than TTT (TTT is better than TOD :wave:). But the full LOTR (all three parts), I don't think I can put that below Raiders.

Marian - who has Raiders on DVD now. ROTFLMAO

The thread is which DVD is better not which film is better  

I was talking about which dvd is better not just what FILM is better or what EXTRAS are better, just the melding of both.

You can't really compare the DVD release of Indiana Jones with TTT because IJ is a release of all 3 movies wheras TTT is just one movie. SO of course all 3 movies will be better than just one movie.

For the spurring of further conflict i will put my three fave dvd's of the year

X2

TTT

IJ

Not to sound gay or anything, but "West Side Story" is the best DVD I have purchased this year. Great sound, great story, unparalleled music.

And not to sound even more gay, but "The Lion King" proves why this movie is still the, ahem, king of animated movies. Just watch and listen to "Circle of Life" and the wildebeest stampede and you'll agree.

And to further my gayness, I'm still loving "A Mighty Wind." Way too much extra stuff to take in one sitting.

Now, "X2" was a fun movie. But I won't watch it again. And "The Two Towers" -- well, I think Joe's the only person who dislikes it more than me. I don't care much for all the extras. A friend of mine is waiting excitedly for the extended edition, and is ready to camp out for "Return of the King." But here's the cruel joke: I'm assigned to write a story on the "LOTR" marathon that's taking place here. That means watching 10 hours straight!!!! At least Viggo Mortensen and Sean Astin are in a lot of those 10 hours.

Oh yeah, and I've only made it through disc 1 of "The Simpsons: Season 3," and it's such a great season. It might take me until the release of "Season 4" to get through it all.

You want X2 over the "Looney Tunes" box set??? What is wrong with you?  

Neil - now just busting QMM's balls.  

Thanks neil, much appreciated.

Max-GET FUTURAMA SEASON 2

To further my gayness I can't wait for more Legolas (who still looks like JT with a wig), but the DVD's I am waiting to get are in order of preference:

X2

Finding Nemo (which has beated Lion king as king of the animation movies)

IJ

TTT extended

I already have Bend it like Beckham and Down with Love (the latter eclipses any gayness anyone else can even talk about)

IJ sounds like a great box set, but is hard to compare to TTT:SEDE. After all, TTT came out only last year, and there was already a lot of Behind-the-scenes stuff shot with the DVD in mind. But with the IJ box, they had to delve deep to find some bts stuff. From what I've heard, they came up with A LOT, considering the age of the films.

- Marc, who has to pass on X2 and IJ to get gifts for his folks.

NO I meant there's xmas coming so maybe you will receive one of them as a gift.....

No XMas presents here, but maybe if I press really hard I might get them for Sinterklaas (the Dutch equivalent of Santa Claus, who celebrates his birthday on December 6th by giving presents the night before).

- Marc, who wants the IJ set. :)

If Spielberg and/or Ford would have done commentaries for each of the films then the Indy trilogy would have my vote. TTT for me, bring it on.

Jeff - who has only listened to two of the four commentary tracks from Fellowship, but plans to listen to them all one day...

Sinterklaas (the Dutch equivalent of Santa Claus, who celebrates his birthday on December 6th by giving presents the night before).

Wrong, his birthday is on December 5th, those Belgiums don't know what they are talking about.

Stefancos- who has been printing Sinterklaas en Zwarte Piet for de Hema and De Bijenkorf for 2 weeks now.

groot%20hoofdpiet.JPG

Best DVD that will come out eventually.............................................................................................................................................................................................

JURASSIC PARK 4

One title that I havn't seen mentioned- Black Hawk Down. The 3 DVD set is one of the very best I've seen, with the 2 1/2 hour (!) documentry being as in deapth a documentry as I've seen. I love the score section.

I wasn't crazy about the docs on FoTR:ED. I found most of them rather uninteresting, with the exceptions of the cast and score parts. (I still will of course get TTT :) )

Lion King was better than I expected.

I expect Indy to be great.

I also got The Simpsons:Season 3 and loved it. But for me, being one of the many enlightened folk who know that The simpsons is the greatest show ever, It took only about 3 weeks to see everything. Great commentaries, but I wish they'd put more special features- like a recording session.

Black Hawk Down is a HIGHLY underrated dvd, I have it and I still havent watched it all. Of course I love the movie itself.

Best DVD that will come out eventually.............................................................................................................................................................................................

JURASSIC PARK 4

You're kidding me, right?

I also got The Simpsons:Season 3 and loved it. But for me, being one of the many enlightened folk who know that The simpsons is the greatest show ever, It took only about 3 weeks to see everything. Great commentaries, but I wish they'd put more special features- like a recording session.

I bought it Thursday. It took me only three days to see the entire season twice: once normal, once with commentaries. I have yet to find some proper easter eggs, though.

- Marc

I never doubted Last Crusade. It's not as good as the first two, but it's not unwatchable like some third films like Superman III and Return of the Jedi.

Perhaps you take the plot too seriously, it's not intended as a serious movie but an escapist comedy/adventure. :music:

And as good as LOTR trilogy is.... we are asking about Indy here, it sets the standard for a trilogy. Greatest action/comedy movies of all time, err, Star Wars is stiff competition however. And I abosolutely need the DVD's.

Morn - Who wonders when The Soprano's Season 5 will begin airing!

And as good as LOTR trilogy is.... we are asking about Indy here, it sets the standard for a trilogy.

Wrong, the Indiana Jones films are not a trilogy, they just happen to be 3 films.

If anything else then it's the Star Wars trilogy that set the standard.

Stefancos- :music:

But will it be the best DVD? I doubt it. It's still too early even to get any hopes up. If John decides to score it, I'll be interested, but this thing BETTER BE GOOD!!!

- Marc, who had already heard these rumblings.

JP4 is being directed by Spielberg but I've also heard that he may not direct but will play a very prominent role in the making of it. So far Sam Neil is in and so is Keira Knightley. Sam said that he knows how the series has gone down and the only reason he signed on was that the story was on par with that of the first movie.