Comic Book Adaptations....

hitman20

*There are a great number of Comic Book Adaptations coming out, but which one's are the one's you'd like to see.

*This year alone, The Hulk and X-Men have came out, with Spider-Man, Blade-Trinity and the Punisher coming out next year.

(If I'm missing some movies, feel free to add them)

*It also seems like Danny Elfman has scored pretty much every huge comic book adaptation. Is it too early too say that he's made for that, or is someone out there more capable?

*If you ask me, I'd really like to hear John Williams score another adaptation. I just wonder what would be the perfect movie for him to score.

So my questions to you are:

*What comic book adaptation would you like to see?

*Is Danny Elfman made for scoring comic book adaptations? Yes, No.

*If so, Why do you think Danny's chosen the most to do these films?

*If not, Who would you like to see score them?

*Or your could just skip the Danny Elfman portion and answer who you'd like to see score & direct the movie.

*Anyway, have fun with the topic.

**For all you Blade Fans, here's an article about the upcoming movie.

From: http://filmforce.ign.com/blade/articles/39...1/391269p1.html

March 27, 2003 - A finalized script for Blade III has been turned in, and it has been "very well received," says David Goyer. Goyer, who wrote the two previous Blade films and the upcoming Freddy vs. Jason, broke the news this week to Comics2Film.

Goyer and the film's backers are now given the task of finding a director for the third movie based on the vampire-hunting comic book hero. Goyer is still considering the job for himself; he has prior directing experience on his recent independent film, Zigzag.

Regardless of the outcome on that decision, Goyer believes filming will begin by September. That would keep Blade III on track for a mid-2004 release.

The writer still gives no indication as to the direction Blade III will take. Past speculation has included setting Blade's third outing in a post-apocalyptic future where vampires rule the Earth. It's presumed that Wesley Snipes will reprise his role for what is probably the last Blade.

This site said that this movie probably come out 08/13/2004.

Thanks. I'll try to bring a new topic each week. Later...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Danny Elfman's scores to Batman and Batman Returns but frankly everything he has done recently has failed to interest me. The score for Spider-Man was a massive disappointment (and I've not seen or heard Hulk so I can't comment on that).

The only comic book adaptation I'm looking forward to (indeed, salivating over) is the forever-in-limbo new Superman project.

Of course, only John Williams could possibly score.

Did any of you guys see the latest trailer for the Punisher?

It was punishing to watch all of it.

Seriously they better fix this movie or I see a major 2004 bomb in the making.

The only comic book adaptation I'm looking forward to (indeed, salivating over) is the forever-in-limbo new Superman project.  

Of course, only John Williams could possibly score.

He already scored Superman. What does he need to do another one for?

Justin

hitman, you forgot Daredevil. Not very surprising, though. :mrgreen:

I don't know. I've sort of had it with comic book films. Maybe Chris Nolan will do a good job on Batman 5 (it's not very hard to get it better than Schumacher's crapfests Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, but you never know). I could care less about any new Superman movie. I've never found Superman an interesting character anyway. I might try to see the Suske en Wiske flick that's coming out next year (a Belgian/Dutch production). I don't want to see any more Tintin movies. Especially not today, I can hardly think of any director capable of capturing Hergés brilliance. Maybe if a Belgian or French director with a heart for the books would do it.

The only comicbook-adaptation I would want to see would be X3, especially if Bryan Singer returns to direct.

- Marc

:mrgreen: Rob D - Klubbed To Death (Kurayamino Mix)

Well, I'm looking forward for Batman 5, of course, because I just adore Batman and I hope Nolan will do something worthwhile with the material. I'm very intrigued by Hellboy. I love the comics, I love Mike Mignola so I'm sure it's a movie I will be watching next year. Punisher, Fantastic Four...none of them interest me.

I am really insulted by the upcoming Catwoman flick. It shows an absolute, and I must emphasize absolute disrespect for the original character. The name, storyline, origin, city of operations, suporting characters...all of it was changed radically. I trully hope this movie bombs. And the cat-suit looks ridiculous. Couldn't they just stick to the source material? And how come Halle berry since she won the oscar she only does crappy films (she was a supporting player in X-Men2)?

Concerning scores, the best ones are, by far, and I really mean by far, Superman and Batman. Batman Returns had great themes and was also very good. Spiderman was extremly dull (as so was the movie), Daredevil even a little pathetic and the Hulk had some interesting parts, although I would have loved to hear Michael Danna's material (the movie for me is the most original and refreshing of the genre thus far, but let's not go that way). The x-men movies were good adaptations and the scores were competent, but surely not stand-outs.

So, Elfman really isn't a superhero composer at all. He only succeded at it fully with the Batman movies, partially with the Hulk (although it is not your typical superhero movie or score) and failed with Spiderman. JW would've made Spiderman soar to a new level, or even the Hulk, but I'm not sure I would like to see JW envolved in a lot of projects like those. I am praying, begging, that he will get to score Alexander. I will be so damn dissapointed if doesn't score that flick.

Man I would have started this topic sometime.

Alright some good movies to make would be:

Powers

Y-The Last Man

Fantastic Four(in the works!)

The Ultimates

WATCHMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(thank you david hayter for finally starting to adapt this great comic to the big screen)

among many others...

Max-Purveryor of fine comic books and knower of comic related thingys

QuestionMarkMan wrote:

Man I would have started this topic sometime.

I beat you to it. lol. It's cool though, I mean thanks for posting. The same goes for everyone else who's posted as well.

Rogue_Leader wrote:

Did any of you guys see the latest trailer for the Punisher?  

It was punishing to watch all of it.  

Seriously they better fix this movie or I see a major 2004 bomb in the making

lol. Yeah I've seen it. It doesn't look to promising, as of now, but hopefully it'll change. I just wonder why they have the Punisher sporting a T-Shirt with a skull on it. It would have been much better to at least have him wear something that looks a little threatening, like a bullet proof vest with the skull on it or something. Either way, it hasn't started out to great for the Punisher franchise.

Mr. Breathmask wrote:

hitman, you forgot Daredevil. Not very surprising, though.  

lol. Oops. Thanks for adding that in. I knew I had forgot a movie, but for some reason, that movie wasn't coming to mind. Oh well. Thanks anyway.

Merkel wrote:

The only comicbook-adaptation I would want to see would be X3, especially if Bryan Singer returns to direct.

If you look at http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0376994/ it'll show that Brian Singer is directing and writing the movie--with a release date in 2006. If you go on to http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0653211/ , it'll also show you that John Ottman will be composing the next installment of the movie.

*John Ottman is a pretty cool composer. I've recieved a signed copy of his 2nd edition X-2 score, and I have to say that this extra music from the movie is well done. He's really stepping up his game, and is really becoming a contender in the world of film music.

Merkel wrote:

I am really insulted by the upcoming Catwoman flick. It shows an absolute, and I must emphasize absolute disrespect for the original character.

Exactly. That pretty much sums it up.

Merkel wrote:

And how come Halle berry since she won the oscar she only does crappy films (she was a supporting player in X-Men2)?

Hey, she made a wise decision in not opting to play Jennifer Lopez's part in that one movie. What's it called. Oh yeah, Gigli!

I love Danny Elfman's scores to Batman and Batman Returns but frankly everything he has done recently has failed to interest me. The score for Spider-Man was a massive disappointment

How so? i loved all of the themes from the Score album, and the ones not in the score album. Batman, as always, is very good, as is BR. danny elfman is so far the best overall composer for SH films, but JW's Superman was also excellent.

*John Ottman is a pretty cool composer. I've recieved a signed copy of his 2nd edition X-2 score, and I have to say that this extra music from the movie is well done. He's really stepping up his game, and is really becoming a contender in the world of film music.  

I'VE GOT THAT TOO, his version of Dies Irae is amazing!

Ian Mckellen has said that he wants to be in X3, but he thinks that one of the things they might do if Magneto returns is that they'll make him a younger version of himself.

QuestionMarkMan wrote:

I'VE GOT THAT TOO, his version of Dies Irae is amazing!

It is. I like that he sped it up and made some brilliant additions to it. A great job by Ottman, if I do say so myself.

It sounds so much more exciting than the original version, everything is pumped up more. I also like the lone German woman who sung in the scene when Nightcrawler is in the church(it's on the 2nd edition) its a small part but still very nice

Hey, she made a wise decision in not opting to play Jennifer Lopez's part in that one movie. What's it called. Oh yeah, Gigli!  

Are you serious?? LOL

Was she really offered that role? ;)

Man did she make the right decision avoiding that one. Career-killer in the making. :)

;) I really don't think either J.Lo or Halle Berry could ever be accused of making astute choices about the film roles they take. Both have been in some pretty abysmal films, there's no denying that.

Ramao - it's good to see you posting again. It seems like you haven't been around for a while, but its hardly surprising that a comic related thread would finally suck you back in again :). From your affection for Batman and outrage about Catwoman, I'm getting the strong vibe that you're a DC guy. I'm more of a Marvel reader myself so the prospect of a Fantastic Four adaptation is intriguing on some level, although I am being realitsic about its prospects.

Personally I've always wanted to see the Avengers translated to another visual medium, although it would be practically impossible to do justice to the team's history, characters and spirit in a single motion picture. Maybe a regular animated TV series would be more appropriate... Anyway who needs movie adaptations in any case? They're rarely as much fun as the comics, so why bother? Case in point - they should leave Watchmen alone. What, you think the movie's going to be better? I don't think so ;)

CYPHER

Hei, thanks Cypher. I was under the impression no one noticed I stoped posting.

Actually, Batman is by far my favorite character, but I read a lot of Dark Horse stuff. I also love a good x-men story once in a while. I used to love spiderman 2099, before it was canceled. Tintin and Asterix are always a great read.

The F4 movie could work if they gave a slightly comic aproach (not the the level of the infamous Batman and Robin). If it takes itself too seriously, it won't just work. I would love to see Doctor Doom on screen.

*What comic book adaptation would you like to see?

Remakes of Prince Valiant and Flash Gordon

*Is Danny Elfman made for scoring comic book adaptations? Yes, No.

Deffinitely.... NO

*If so, Why do you think Danny's chosen the most to do these films?

Because of his huge and well deserved success with Batman.

*If not, Who would you like to see score them?

John Williams, David Arnold, John Debney, Alan Silvestri

*Or your could just skip the Danny Elfman portion and answer who you'd like to see score & direct the movie.

Directors: Robert Rodriguez, Ridley Scott, Baz Luhrman, Jan de Bont

I'd love to see a new Flash Gordon movie, too, provided the Alex Raymond stories were treated with the proper respect.

You can read new Flash Gordon comic strips on-line here.

Neil

Indysolo wrote:

I'd love to see a new Flash Gordon movie, too, provided the Alex Raymond stories were treated with the proper respect.  

You can read new Flash Gordon comic strips on-line here.  

Neil

Well Neil, according to http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/458/4580....html?fromint=1 , its rumored that Stephen Sommers (director of the Mummy Returns) is thinking about filming the movie after he finishes up Van Helsing. To see the article, click on the link above.

It looks as if you might get your wish after all.

I love Danny Elfman's scores to Batman and Batman Returns but frankly everything he has done recently has failed to interest me. The score for Spider-Man was a massive disappointment

How so? i loved all of the themes from the Score album, and the ones not in the score album. Batman, as always, is very good, as is BR. danny elfman is so far the best overall composer for SH films, but JW's Superman was also excellent.

Eflman's Spider-Man failed to engage me at all. Batman Returns and Edward Scissorhands are two of my favourite scores of all time, but I guess there is nowhere to go but downhill after that. I can't remember the themes from Spider-Man moments after I've heard them.

I know these themes from the Spider Man album, which I think is a very well done score albeit it could have still done better, anyway I know:

Spider Man theme-Very heroic theme

Peter Parker theme-also nice

Green Goblin theme-AAAAAAWWWWWEEESSSOOMMMEE

I really don't think either J.Lo or Halle Berry could ever be accused of making astute choices about the film roles they take. Both have been in some pretty abysmal films, there's no denying that.

HOW DARE YOU INSINUATE HALLE BERRY HAS DONE BAD MOVIES!! :)

I mean J-Lo I can see, but Halle Berry has done only Oscar Calibur work like BAPS, The Last Boyscout and Swordfish!

Only classics there my friend! ;):P:music:

Hey, I love The Last Boy Scout!

QMM, learn about sarcasm.

Neil

It's like I've never lived before and I'm being taught the facts of life RIGHT NOW.

Anyways, one of the probably most overlooked themes (probably will never be looked at anyways) is the Death Camp track from X-Men, just a real good tragic song.

"?-Man"? I like it Steef. Though we'll have to wait and see what "Max" (and his Evil Twin thinks) before it becomes official ;).

HOW DARE YOU INSINUATE HALLE BERRY HAS DONE BAD MOVIES!!  

I mean J-Lo I can see, but Halle Berry has done only Oscar Calibur work like BAPS, The Last Boyscout and Swordfish!  

Only classics there my friend!  

Can't argue with you there Rogue. They're right up alongside J.Lo's Money Train, Anaconda and Angel Eyes :). Hang on a minute! I've actually seen these three J.Lo movies! :music:

Back to comic book adaptations now: I'm fairly certain the current bumper crop of comic-related films will only last another 6-12 months at most before wilting. These things are cyclical and its bound to sour. Probably sooner rather than later (although I am certainly enjoying a great many of these films).

Oh and other unmentioned comic book / graphic novel adaptations of the last few years include Ghost World, Road to Perdition, Bulletproof Monk, American Splendor and of course The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen :P.

CYPHER

Hey, I love The Last Boy Scout!  

Hey I'll admit the movie had its charms! :music:

It had a few great one liners like when that one fat Texan guy called Halle Berry's character a whore Bruce Willis says to Damon Wayans "Easy Jimmy! With a face like that hes GOTTA be paying for it!". :P

Good stuff! :)

The villian sucked though. That weirdo who played Milo was creepy but NOT in a villianous way.

"?-Man"? I like it Steef. Though we'll have to wait and see what "Max" (and his Evil Twin thinks) before it becomes official ;).

Wrong lad, it became official the minute i wrote it down.

Stefancos- who has pattened it, copyrighted it and is slamming it on a lunchbox.

Wrong lad, it became official the minute i wrote it down.

Stefancos- who has pattened it, copyrighted it and is slamming it on a lunchbox.

This pleases me. Oh and I get the Jurassic Park quote Steef. I want my dolls to be plush though...

I've already been called ?-Man before but since it just got used sure you can use it pending you pay me for the copyright infringements. Also you may call me Q-Mark Man, ?Man, QMM, ?M, ?MM, and now I'm just making these up.

Death Camp track is a good SONG(song, track, whatever)

Max-Twin extroardinaire

Yes I'm related to Edward Nygma AKA the Riddler.

That's where I got my name, that hilarious move Batman Forever when Riddler is going through personas he might use, Questionmarkman just sounded so cool and snazzy.

Yes I'm related to Edward Nygma AKA the Riddler.  

That's where I got my name, that hilarious move Batman Forever when Riddler is going through personas he might use, Questionmarkman just sounded so cool and snazzy.

There is nothing "cool and snazzy" about a Joel Schumacher directed Batman movie.

Neil

Metaphor 123 wrote:

I can't remember the themes from Spider-Man moments after I've heard them.

I forgot them as well. Subtle is alright (like the Hulk theme) but forgettable is too much. It just didn't stand out to me. But I did go back and listen to the Spiderman theme that Elfman did, and it's not really that bad. I guess in the next film he can make it work.

What on earth are people talking about now?

When Edward Nygma (Jim Carrey) is looking for an alias as villain in Batman Forever, one of the names he comes up with is QuestionmarkMan (of course, he eventually goes for The Riddler).

- Marc

You know I still REALLY want to see John Williams do one more bloody comic book score before he dies!

I am sorry but Superman is not enough!

Why should friggin Danny Elfman gets all these damn comic book scores??

His work is sub-par nowadays.

You know I still REALLY want to see John Williams do one more bloody comic book score before he dies!  

I am sorry but Superman is not enough!  

Why should friggin Danny Elfman gets all these damn comic book scores??

His work is sub-par nowadays.

Too true

My favorite super hero movies and scores are Superman 1 & 2, and Batman 1.

When I was in high school in the late 80's-early 90's, I loved Marvel more than DC, so to see the Spider-Man and X-Men movies that finally came to be after over a decade of Stan Lee promises was disappointing. I thought the Spider-Man film was weakened by the Elfman score, which I found to be terribly disappointing. X-Men wasn't bad, but didn't care for the score in that either. Yet Batman was so perfect? In fact, Batman and Superman are the only two with memerable themes that draw you into the score. None of the others even come close.

Williams needs to do more comic book scores... ANY will do (Well, as long as the movie itself is good, but hell.. he even makes bad movies SOUND good).

Rogue_Leader wrote:

Is Elfman returning to score the 2nd Spiderman film? GOD I HOPE NOT!

Yup! It's more of that classic Elfman, now with less fat!

GoodGone3_animation.gif

Mmm...Isn't this a movie you all want to see. I know I'm so ready to not see this movie.

Don't get me wrong, I like Elfman as a composer, but I'm not so sure about Spidey. The opening theme is alright, but I can hardly remember the rest of the score. Bad casting and slighly unnoticeable music don't make a good combo.