Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

TPM:

Main Title

Rebel Fanfare (End Credits and hinted at in the score)

Imperial March

Emperor's Theme

Yoda's Theme

Jabba's Theme

Force Theme

AOTC:

Main Title (only in the Main Title this time)

Rebel Fanfare (end credits only)

Imperial March

Emperor's Theme

Yoda's Theme

Force Theme

Shmi's Theme (the evolved version was introduced in TPM)

Duel of the Fates

Battle Droid March

Anakin's Theme

But TPM does have more orignal themes than AOTC, you're right there. ;)

EDIT- Page 50 and still going strong. Take THAT, Giacchino thread! :|

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stefancos' comparison was not valid. While the previous themes of Harry Potter, with the exception of Hedwig's Theme, were completely abandoned for Prisoner of Azkaban, the old Star Wars themes maintained a presence in Attack of the Clones. Even "cameos" count.

Mugglenet has a spy report from a supposed insider on what's in, what's out, and what's been reduced in GoF. Remember this is unconfirmed rumor, but if Mugglenet's posting it they must have confidence in the source. I pulled out only the relevant bits, there's a bit more over there.

***SPOILER WARNING for those that haven't read the book, or don't want to know until you see the movie***

What's been cut: the SPEW storyline altogether, opening scene with the Dursleys, the Hogwarts express (there are shots of it, but nothing in the train,) and the wand weighing. What's still in: Creepy opening scene with Voldemort, Wormtail and Nagini. The Dark Mark scene, the "Potter Stinks" bit, the skrewts, the horntail challenge, the merpeople challenge (should be very cool!) The final challenge, although the spider may NOT be in it. (My source didn't remember seeing it.) The Sphinx is in. So is Dobby and Winky, the Portkeys, Crouch freaking out, the Pensieve scene and Cedric's end. Things that are drastically cut: Yule Ball, Quidditch World Cup, Rita Skeeter stuff (she's in it, but not as much as the book,) Harry stressing over the egg clue, Snape scenes (he's not in it much,) Hagrid & Maxine love story (it's there, but just reduced to a few brief moments for humor,) Dumbledore's humor (again... they never get him right!) Note on the ending: they manage to get it all pretty much in, which is surprising given what's going on.

no. No. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yule Ball SHOULD be in there... And to it's fullest extent!!! I know it's there... but DRASTICALLY cuT?!?!?!!11??! If John Willliams does score this movie, this would have been n EXCELLENt time for music!!!! Harry MUST stress over the egg!!!!! It would mean different sorts of BUBBLES!!!! I wanted to see the bubbles!!! Snape has gotten poorr time on screen for all of the movies. Which SUCKS! Hagrid and Maxine's love could have had an awesome simplistic love motif!!! Dumbledore's humor is great now that Gambon is giving it to us!!!! Why cut it?!!??! AND THE QUIDDICH WORLD CUP IS REDUCED TOO!???!? Well! If JW scores it... WELL! I'm... fooweybunkered!!! I figured all of this stuff would be reduced anyway... but to hear it put in words is... bumming.

Most of these themes are nothing more then mere cameo appearances, a 10 second rendition of DOTF here, a snippet of the Droid March here.

Voldemort's themes in Priori Incantatem would make me happy already.

Marian - 8O

no. No. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yule Ball SHOULD be in there... And to it's fullest extent!!! I know it's there... but DRASTICALLY cuT?!?!?!!11??! If John Willliams does score this movie, this would have been n EXCELLENt time for music!!!! Harry MUST stress over the egg!!!!! It would mean different sorts of BUBBLES!!!! I wanted to see the bubbles!!! Snape has gotten poorr time on screen for all of the movies. Which SUCKS! Hagrid and Maxine's love could have had an awesome simplistic love motif!!! Dumbledore's humor is great now that Gambon is giving it to us!!!! Why cut it?!!??! AND THE QUIDDICH WORLD CUP IS REDUCED TOO!???!? Well! If JW scores it... WELL! I'm... fooweybunkered!!! I figured all of this stuff would be reduced anyway... but to hear it put in words is... bumming.

Hey, it turns out movies aren't the same as books. With books, pacing, length, moving the story along are not as important issues. So let's address your points:

Yule Ball SHOULD be in there... And to it's fullest extent!!! I know it's there... but DRASTICALLY cuT?!?!?!!11??! If John Willliams does score this movie, this would have been n EXCELLENt time for music!!!!

The Yule Ball doesn't have much of a point. As for the music, I would have loved some quirky song (not to say that's out-of-the-question now), but a director should never base decisions on musical potential. The music is NOT the first priority for a film, however much we may love it.

Harry MUST stress over the egg!!!!! It would mean different sorts of BUBBLES!!!! I wanted to see the bubbles!!!

The bath scene is almost certainly still in (as Moaning Myrtle's presence in the film has been confirmed).

Snape has gotten poorr time on screen for all of the movies. Which SUCKS!

...No, he's gotten plenty of screen time. Really.

Hagrid and Maxine's love could have had an awesome simplistic love motif!!!

Again, decisions shouldn't be based on the music, and besides, it's a rather pointless subplot.

Dumbledore's humor is great now that Gambon is giving it to us!!!! Why cut it?!!??!

Yeah, I agree with you there.

AND THE QUIDDICH WORLD CUP IS REDUCED TOO!???!?

Because lots of it doesn't move the plot along.

I'm liking what appears to be kept in. As long as Rita's scenes still evoke a sense of hatred for her, I'm all for shortening them. Of course, hatred for Skeeta is nothing compared to my hatred of Umbridge. I can't wait to see her on the silver screen.

Snape's had a decent run, he's not really important until OotP, though it was a pity we didn't get to see him have a nervous breakdown in PoA he still had a bigger part than was required.

Pity about Dumbledore, finally we were getting some similar characterisation as to what I imagined, adn this movie needs some humour to light it up a little. I hope his "chamber pots" are mentioned at the Yule Ball, though I can't imagine it being of importance, despite the fact it deals with a part of OotP (the Room of Requirement), we don't need to know about it 'till then. Regarding the humour, that short script excerpt that circled around the net a few weeks ago sounds promising on Dumbledore's part, I love that line.

I agree, the Quidditch World Cut doesn't advance the plot much, I don't care much about seeing the whole thing. I think they may include something to do with the Veela, if only to advance Fleur's character.

As long as they get the pivotal Graveyard scene and the Parting of the Ways well done I will be happy with the movie. I can't wait to see Mad Mister Fudge, and I hope Mrs Weasleys motherly nurturing of Harry stays too. Unfortunately it appears she has been cut altogether, a great pity as that's a very emotional scene.

I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to leave Maxime/Hagrid love story out altogether. The only use of it is that (spoiler for OotP- highlight to read) they seek the friendship of the giants in OotP, but it could just as easily be Hagrid doing it by himself. It may however, increase our hatred for Skeeta which is important. To me at least.

well if the wand weighing is gone, I wonder how they are going to show John Hurt as Mr. Olivander, since he is confirmed in the film?

They were sorely missed in POA.

By me, they were definitely not. PoA has much better themes, and we already got a recycling of the Harry Potter themes (CoS). Bring on new themes, although I'd like a reworkinf/rerecording of Double Trouble, like Williams did with that song on Home Alone 2 (Edit: Star of Bethlehem).

REALLY? I think the old themes are much better. Maybe I just prefer the light hearted music more.

I also like hte old themes a lot better. It has nothing to do with light hearted, they are just stronger themes. Buckbeak's Flight and Double Trouble are great additions, but they do not eclipse the other ones in any way.

I always expected them to cut the wand weighing AND Olivander...but if John Hurt has really been confirmed, that's great news.

Marian - who doesn't need no wand weighing as long as he gets John Hurt. :happybday:

ROTFLMAO The Crimson Rivers (Bruno Coulais)

Yes, but if they only have a limited time, I think that the scene would stick out. Show something real about what high school is like, that's part of what made Azkaban so good. And yes, I do realize that this is a magic school and not any high school, but at least the way it is in the book, it is so cliche and comes off as forced, not something that flows naturaly with the story.

Hogwarts comes off as an old English boarding school, not an North American high school.

Not to me anyway.

That's as it should be, since that's what it's based on. :happybday:

The Yule Ball is a good part of the book, but when you're cutting a 700+ page book to a 2 1/2-3 hour movie things have to get cut. The Yule Ball is fun, but not essential to the plot. The most important thing that happens is the Ron/Hermione fight afterwards, and I'm sure that'll be in there.

They see a beetle on the statue Ron and Harry are hiding behind when Hagrid talks to Madame Maxine, and the day after the article of Hagrid being a half-bred appears in the Daily Prophet. But there are plenty of other clues (the beetle in Hermione's hair after the second test, the beetle on the windowsill in Divination).

- Marc

Marian - who wants a 5 hour movie.

It's a direct contradictory of your appriciation of the way POA cutted to the chase.

Why? I didn't say it was good BECAUSE it was so short. I guess that's part of it, but they could make it longer and equally good.

Marian - who also knows that POA is a much shorter book than GOF.

Theoretically, of course. But a really long GoF is just more fuel for the "Williams not scoring" fire. After all, when was the last time he scored a four-hour film in just a few months?

The Yule Ball can easilly be cut down, which sucks... It'll probably just be a minute of Harry watching the ball go on and him not dance... and a few shots of teachers dancing and the pretty Hermione. Plus a few shots of humorous kids stepping on their partner's foot. A shot or so of the Weird Sisters... Then a bit of a brawl. Not much else. Then they will go outside and see Hagrid and Maxine exchanging giant hints at loooove. You will see a quick shot of the beetle then it will be over... That what I bet.

What struck me is how the "inside guy" said that he thought the Second Task was going to be the one that blew everyone away. That was the weakest of the three in the book IMO, though it was still good.

I'd much rather a shorter Potter movie. There's no way they can get everything from book to movie, so why bother? That's where I believe Kloves and Cuaron excelled in PoA, they left enough room for Cuaron's own interpretations by letting the movie breather.

LotR was good, but 3 and-a-half hours each is a bit much, I wouldn't wish that on the Potter movies.

POA needed to be about 10 to 15 minutes longer, maybe a bit less, but it would have improved the film by an entire grade IMHO. GOF must be a longer film than POA, it demands it not just because the book is twice as long, but because the basic story requires it. Still I can see a 2 hour 45 minute to 3 hour film doing justice. And that is what they are shooting for. A 4 hour film isn't going to happen. John can adequately do a near 3 hour film. His schedule will allow him to now that Vengence is out of the way and there is no way that Spielberg will get WotW ready by next November.

That was the weakest of the three in the book IMO, though it was still good.

I agree! Task 1 for me is the most thrilling. content-spoiler comment: I will consider the film a success if the graveyard scene leaves me sweating and shaking. There has to be no doubt that Harry's life was in serious jeopardy, that he is physically and emotionally tortured and left near death, and that Voldemort is the most evil being ever to exist.

Too bad the target audience is too young for gratuitous blood & gore. If you'd take the book directly to the screen there is no way these movies could ever be PG.

In the end that is truly the key to everything, Disk. Good points. That's why we call this the ESB of the Harry Potter series. And why we want Williams to do it so badly. :music:

EDIT- Simultaneous post. :music: Breathy, you'd be surprised what passes for PG these days. But hopefully they won't hold back for fear of the rating.

I remember when everyone thought Chamber of Secrets should have gotten a PG-13 rating because it was so scary.

What the hell were we thinking? It's a very tame movie. Anyway...the graveyard scene shouldn't have to be altered much because of rating considerations. "Blood of the enemy" is just a quick stab, shouldn't be too gory, "bone of the father" is just dust, and "flesh of the servant," well, they don't have to show it (just as Harry didn't look in the book).

Yes, but I don't think they will keep back on showing it.

But if you remember, in the book of CoS, Harry was splattered with blood raining from the Basilisk's eye sockets. I understand they took that out to tone down the violence, but I hoped to see it anyhow. I guess it's just bloodlust. :music:

- Marc

They also took out two of Harry's three stabs at the book, plus half of the Basilisk fight, for the German theatrical release. THAT's tame... On the other hand, I find the final in its original cut quite suspenseful.

Marian - :music:

:music: The Lord of the Rings (Leonard Rosenman)

As I hear it those weren't the only cuts. Pretty lame, though.

PoA got an experimental "9" rating over here. I wonder how the kiddies responded to this one, because I haven't heard anything of it. A lot of small children found CoS quite frightening.

Wimps. :music:

- Marc, who doesn't care about ratings at all.

The silliest cut I've ever heard of is from Ep. II in England. They cut out the headbutt in the Obi-Wan/Jango fight. :?

There is specualtion that Ep. III might get a PG-13. Hopefully they won't cut anything out in order to get a lower rating. Same with GoF, if there's a chance it could go PG-13. It shouldn't, though.

John- who also doesn't care about ratings, unless the filmmakers start getting paranoid and cutting stuff just because of them.

Yes, in Britain headbuts are a nono.

I doubt Ep. 3 will be PG-13. All the other films were PG, and Lucas has said he considers the movies kids' films. I'm sure they'll tone it down to get PG, but I expect they will be pushing the limits of the PG rating.

- Marc

Of all the Star Wars films all got "6" here, except Empire which got "12". With the HP movies, 1&2 got "6" (2 only with thementioned cuts - plus two cuts in the whomping willow and forest scenes), 3 got "12".

According to Mugglenet,GoF might be 4 hours long with an intermission,and if JW scores it,that means a 3 and a half hour score at least,but were still going to get a 65 minute c.d.

K.M.Who thinks this has the potential to be an unreleased music nightmare.

Same here, Joe. A four hour GoF would be f*cking AMAZING. I would never have expected something like that, though it is just a rumor. Great article

Ray Barnsbury

I think we all need to start are own gang and go around intimidating any composer who is rumored to be replacing Williams on HP4.

If we keep scaring off replacements they will have no choice but to bring Johnny back! 8O

I've never seen "Schneider's List". Is it any good? How about the soundtrack?

Spin-off movie from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade showing Dr. Schneider climbing out of the crack in the ground in the Grail Temple. She also has a secret "list".