Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's certainly been a dearth of Potter film news lately. Surprising considering GoF is well into filming.

There's some stuff happening on the book front though. I posted an update on the Book 6 tidbit thread in the OT forum about JKR possibly stating that Hagrid is NOT the Half Blood Prince. Mugglenet has also written an open letter to JKR asking many questions about certain specifics of the books. The answers should be quite interesting if we get them. At least to the die hard fans, to the casual or non-HP fan they will seem very geeky. :music:

There's certainly been a dearth of Potter film news lately. Surprising considering GoF is well into filming.

There's some stuff happening on the book front though. I posted an update on the Book 6 tidbit thread in the OT forum about JKR possibly stating that Hagrid is NOT the Half Blood Prince. Mugglenet has also written an open letter to JKR asking many questions about certain specifics of the books. The answers should be quite interesting if we get them. At least to the die hard fans, to the casual or non-HP fan they will seem very geeky.  :music:

I've never been into speculating about the new books, i have no interest in finding out who the Half Blood Prince is before i open the book.

I hope we do. ;)

None of the questions in the letter are spoilery for the last two books (as far as we know), they are simply filling up some knowledge gaps us die-hards are curious about.

I figured Morlock's parents were Jewish, I was just wondering about the specific drive behind them wanting to movie there.

Was it a religious thing? Did they want to be closer to the "Holy Land".

Was it a personal thing? Did they have personal reasons?

Was it a social decision? Did they simply feel living in Israel was superior to living in the U.S.?

All of the above?

Oh and regarding the hatred of that region. NEWS FLASH! Thay hatred is all over the place now. Its not just limited to one tiny strip of land in the middle East.

Anyway back to Potter .......

Do you think Potter will lose his virginity before the end of the series?

I sure hope so because after saving Hogwartz like a half a dozen times this dude deserves to have his cherry popped HARD!

I sure hope so because after saving Hogwartz like a half a dozen times this dude deserves to have his cherry popped HARD!

:angry:

Was it a religious thing? Did they want to be closer to the "Holy Land".  

Yup

Was it a personal thing? Did they have personal reasons?

Yup

Was it a social decision? Did they simply feel living in Israel was superior to living in the U.S.?

Nope, quite the opposite. My father was quite well off and comfortable in the US, and came to 7 part time jobs at the begining, but the two above reasons outweighed that, I guess.

Oh and regarding the hatred of that region. NEWS FLASH! Thay hatred is all over the place now. Its not just limited to one tiny strip of land in the middle East.

Yup, though quantity wise, we're pretty high up there. And following that reasoing, if it sucks everywhere, why not go to a good looking place with nice people?

Of course, but the real question is with whom! I don't think him and Cho go together.

:angry:

Anyway, if the UK laws are the same as here, he won't even be legal!

Ray Barnsbury

God i hope not! JK should not introduce sex into a kids book.

Yeah, it shouldn't even be implied in the books. But I'm guessing when (if?) Harry scores, it'll be with Ginny (albeit hopefully down the road a ways!).

Ray Barnsbury

The question is, would he use a spell on her or his natural charm?

Neil

She doesn't write kids books any more.

Yes she does. Every one of them is a kids book.

No they aren't. They might be read by kids, but they are not kids books.

Probably 90 % percent of JKR's audience is kids, little tots are her bread and butter, that's the demography that she writes for, her books are directed to the largest percent. If she was targeting adults then we wouldn't have a colorful jackets, and pictures inside. Yes Morlock i hate to break it to you but you have been reading a children's book.

HPFAN_2 - Who has always realized that he was reading a kids book and has no problem with that.

I have no problem reading a children's book. But the books deserve better than being classified as that. And the colorful jackets and pictures make it look like a kids book in the US, but in the rest of the world, it doesn't look like that. It may look unique, which it is, but it is not marketed as a kids book. That's more of an American thing.

IMO Stephen King got it right about these books.

I'd say the Potter audience is greater than a 90-10% children-adult ratio. Maybe 80-20%, I know a lot of adults who adore the books, though some of them have become adults since reading them as children years ago!

R.E. Harry's virginity: I doubt Rowling would do that, there'd be an outrage. Besides, she publicly stated her disgust at sex-themed fan-fiction using her characters, I doubt she'd go in and do it herself. Besides, Harry won't get any. He's the hero.

I have no problem reading a children's book.

Yes you do.

And the colorful jackets and pictures make it look like a kids book in the US, but in the rest of the world, it doesn't look like that. It may look unique, which it is, but it is not marketed as a kids book. That's more of an American thing.

That is garbage, the publishers aren't idiots, like i said 90 % of the people who read hp are kids, why in the world would the publishers not market towards them?

But the books deserve better than being classified as that.

You don't think childrens book are honorabale, respectable mediums? You don't think it takes ingenuity, smarts and imagintation to create a great children book? You obviously think children books are lesser genre than ones aimed for adults which proves my first point. You do have a problem with reading children's books because you are obviously saying they aren't repectable types of books (and don't even try and tell me you didn't say that). They are, all the great minds of children literature should be held in the same respect as the great minds of adult literature. And that's why you have a problem with HP being called a childrens book and i don't, i respect JKR as i would some other great achiever in the written word. I hold my flamboyantly bright copies HP with no shame because i know what i hold is an achievment in the written word, the summation of man's hard work (or in this case a women) i know i hold one woman's production over others in her field. Do i give a shit whether it's a kids book and she writes for kids? No, i am not insecure.

HPFAN_2 - Wondering why he is doing this because he knows Morlock will not admit the truth :roll:

HPFAN_2 - Wondering why he is doing this because he knows Morlock will not admit the truth  :roll:

Ah, that old classic. The fact that you point out I will disagree does not make my disagreement meaningless. It just makes you perceptive enough to know that I will not change my mind because you present incorrect 'facts'.

Ummmmm folks Harry CAN have sex in the books!

I'm serious dammit!

JK doesn't have to put some sort of graphic sensual imagery in their like some cheesy romance novel. You know:

" .......... And Harry put his sparkling wand into her dark cauldron ......"

It just has to be implied.

I mean come on! You folks keep saying these books are not just for kids. Well lets prove it once and for all by getting Mr. Potter some good ole loving.

Ahhhh so many potential mates for Harry. Which one?

:D

It just has to be implied.

I'm not sure if this could work for Harry, we're "with him" pretty much throughout each entire book. It would certainly be possible for Ron and Hermione though.

Ahhhh so many potential mates for Harry. Which one?

Hopefully not Luna.

Marian - :?

If harry were to have sex in the series (which i hope he doesn't) i would want him to do it with two people: Hermione (not Ginny, i hate her character, so useless) and although this will never happen - and it would be better if it didn't- i would want Harry to have sex with Draco, that would be so cool (and wierd) :mrgreen: but it would be an unexpected twist.

HPFAN_2 - Still wants Harry to stick to girls, his llife is hard enough.

Ginny rocks. Her character is far from useless, her several months under Voldie's power in CoS will come back to haunt her, and she is the only person Harry knows who has also been possessed. Plus she's grown heaps, and her annoying shyness is gone and now she talks back at the tool who is Harry. Seriously, he was the biggest loser in OotP ("That's not cheek, Dud. It's true :pukeface:"), shouting at everyone and making DD cry.

She doesn't write kids books any more.

Yes she does. Every one of them is a kids book.

Exactly. Of course these are kids books, and excellent ones at that. The books, complex as they are, are complex in a simplistic way. The dialogue and narrative is clearly designed for young people to read.

For anyone wanting to read a more adult series of books dealing with children and mystic powers and darkness then look no further that Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy. These books make the Potter series look like Nursery Rhymes! Anyone out there who enjoys the Potter series (as I do), I strongly recommend you read Pullman's books. I promise you won't regret it. A word of warning though, they are MUCH darker than anything Harry Potter has yet thrown at us.

I'd say the Potter audience is greater than a 90-10% children-adult ratio. Maybe 80-20%, I know a lot of adults who adore the books, though some of them have become adults since reading them as children years ago!

R.E. Harry's virginity: I doubt Rowling would do that, there'd be an outrage. Besides, she publicly stated her disgust at sex-themed fan-fiction using her characters, I doubt she'd go in and do it herself. Besides, Harry won't get any. He's the hero.

But heroes always get the best girl, and then die.....